Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

crankshaft pulley wobble 01 crv

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crankshaft pulley wobble 01 crv

Slight wobble on crankshaft pulley, cause for concern? (link to vid)
Old 10-22-2015, 07:48 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: crankshaft pulley wobble 01 crv

Can't watch video in that format, but how bad is it? What have you done previously in the area for repairs? Any other relevant information?
Old 10-26-2015, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't know why that link isn't working but
Anyways I've only done a timing belt change on it and nothing else has happened. This weekend I retorqued it and checked the belts but still wobbles, might be thinking about it to much though haha.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:15 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Was your insulator rubber cracked or busted?

If all is torqued correctly, and the balancer is in good shape then... Let's put it this way, I had to rewatch the video a few times to even see what you were talking about LOL!
Old 10-28-2015, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes there is a small crack in the rubber on one side. Thanks for watching then lol and it's more apparent in person.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Will it damage the crankshaft by not replacing it soon? Reason I ask is because the car runs well and haven't noticed any negative effects so far.

Last edited by Atauto; 11-02-2015 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Added vid
Old 11-13-2015, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My 2000 crv had the same problem when i purchased it used, i was unable to find any info online about it being a common issue. i tried a new pulley bolt and 2 other used b series crank pulleys and it still wobbled. i eventually just shimmed the original crank pulley to get it as close to straight as possible, that was around 10k miles ago and have not had any problems.

i would love to know if anyone knows what caused this and a solution other than shims, could the crank snout be tweaked from being over torqued at some point maybe??
Old 11-16-2015, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for posting timmybilt, glad I'm not the only one with this happening. Same here and I agree that would be great if anybody else has other solutions to share.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello there. My old man is a Honda tech and just bought another Gen 1 Crv with the same problem. From what he has said it sometimes happens when the pulley is replaced after doing the T-belt. He placed a piece of brass in the key way that got fubared, welded against, cooled and filed it down. Used a new key and the thing is golden. Just take a look at the key and make sure it's not all goobered up. Sure you could drop the crank buts that no fun. Like another post said, looks pretty subtle, my dads $500 V had a vibration. Mine was off and on @209k and is squared away.
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2016, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My crank pulley was having the same problem, and it went unnoticed. It fell almost all the way off, and the pulley bold was rusted and worn when I finally noticed. I noticed because it seemed like the alternator locked up and all the belts fell off. The water pump seal was leaking on the crank. I'm not sure if it's common, preventable or a perfect combination for failure, but I wonder what the exact cause was because I would like to prevent this in the future.

The mechanic I took it to said it isn't repairable because the woodruff key slot is too worn to fix, but I think I'm going to take a shot at fixing it. I suppose I can file the rounded key hole in the crank until I can insert a shim or two woodruff keys side by side. Then I'll probably fill any gaps with JB weld, bold a new pulley on and only run the alternator off the crank pulley, eliminating added drag and stress of ac and ps.

Does anyone have any suggestion, comments, or experience with fixing it this way?

Does anyone make an under-drive pulley to replace the factory one?

Who has the best deal for all the Honda Parts for a timing service? Is the Gates belt any better than the Honda belt?

The pulley look like it's toast. I'll try to get a pic of the crank soon.
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2018, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know how but my crank shaft pulley bolt came lose while driving on the freeway. I'm pretty sure I torqued it down to 130 ft-lbs. The car basically shut down because the alternator belt stopped turning. The crank pulley was sheared and the belt guide was stuck to the timing belt pulley. I am in the process of getting a used crank pulley that will arrive in a couple of days. Ordered new belt guide and key slot from the dealer. Not sure what caused this problem. Hopefully its because I didn't torque the crank pulley bolt down tight enough. If anybody knows any other probable causes here, I would appreciate your input. I hate to put money into something that can't be fixed. Attached are the photos.

Thanks.