Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Addco rear sway bar (gen 1 V)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Addco rear sway bar (gen 1 V)

Anyone running this rear bar on your 1st Gen V? I am pretty disappointed with the fitment of the rear bushings & brackets... The bracket doesn't line up with the factory mounting holes. I just did a ghetto fab job on the factory bushings and used the stock brackets. I am not happy with this mod and was wondering if anyone else has found a better solution.

The best solution I can think of would be to plug weld the factory holes and drill & tap new ones that actually line up with the new bracket, however I am reserving this as a last option just in-case I ever put the stock sway bar back on.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Addco rear sway bar (gen 1 V)

for some reason this is the second time i read something like this on addco sway bar...
i have this in 2 of my Vs i never encountered any issues on it, it was a direct bolt on
when we installed it... idk about the batch they made now but i bought mine 3yrs ago,
i wanted to put another one in my spare crv but im still looking for a fab shop that
could copy the bar and make it much bigger(24-26mm) so i could use it on my toy crv!

post up pics of the mods that you did.. it would help out everyone here incase they
would encounter similar issues..
Old 08-12-2011, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im working with John from Addco on this now. I've taken measurements and emailed them to him. My suggestion was to simply use a much smaller diameter bushing, so you could use the OEM bracket with the new bar. Im supposed to hear back early next week.

I'm against using a spacer because the limited space between the passenger side mounting location and the muffler. I plan on running a 3" exhaust, and I'd like to keep as much room as possible back there.

Pics in 5 Mins
Old 08-12-2011, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ta Da!!

Initially I was simply going to mill the slots slightly wider, but then I realized that the head of a bolt wouldn't clear the body of the bracket.

Clearance issue

Old 08-12-2011, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Project Phoenix
Im working with John from Addco on this now. I've taken measurements and emailed them to him. My suggestion was to simply use a much smaller diameter bushing, so you could use the OEM bracket with the new bar. Im supposed to hear back early next week.

I'm against using a spacer because the limited space between the passenger side mounting location and the muffler. I plan on running a 3" exhaust, and I'd like to keep as much room as possible back there.

Pics in 5 Mins

is there a way that you could pitch in an idea of making a bigger diameter sway bar for
ouyr Vs?? id get one if its a special order.. id go 24mm up! the rear roll of our Vs is too
much at times for me when im on the track... lmk
thanks!
Old 08-13-2011, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm I wonder why some of us have had issues and others did not? Thanks for the pics of the brackets... helps explain our problem.

I am embarrassed of the ghetto fab I did, so I will wait and post pics of the final product when I find a better solution. I basically hacked 1/4" off of the stock bushings and forced them to fit around the bigger sway bar. The bushing fitment is not very good and makes some noise when driving, the sway bar made a big difference though in body roll.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just a follow up, Mike the Tech Adviser/Sales Something from Addco will be passing by and taking a look at it 1st hand Tuesday. We are talking about either smaller bushings or maybe using a U-bolt to get it done. Will keep you guys in the loop.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what size is this sway bar
Old 08-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

3/4"
Old 08-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

19mm is weaksauce.
i have a integra typr r 22mm on and dont think its big enough.
definitely a major improvement from the crappy stock one though
Old 08-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I finally got around to fixing my sway bar bushings\mounting job. I really did not like the idea of running a bored out stock bushing so I decided to bust out the welder. I used a 3\16" steel plate with holes I tapped to match the Addco bracket. It still isn't the best or easiest solution but It worked for me. Pics are not the best quality but you get the idea.
Attached Images   
Old 08-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heres how it looks like on my other crv... i had a chance to put on lift..

im using skunk2 adjustable end links...
Old 08-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Si i just called Addco today and they told me to return my sway bar because they have taken it out of their catalog. They told me they tried a couple of different bracket set ups and nothing would work for them. Im just going to modify my bushings.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

look at that....
1yr. thread revival!! LOL///
Old 08-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To the day. LOL
Old 06-03-2019, 07:07 AM
Trial User

Yes,
Thread revival. Yes, I found this thread after purchasing the ADDCO rear bar and running into the bracket/bushing problem. I contacted ADDCO, and the same exact employee as referenced earlier in the thread ( seven, or eight years ago?) reponded to my email. I won't relay the half a** response, but I will tell you how I got it to work on my car. The new bar is 19mm O.D., I purchased the front sway bar bushings (Energy Suspension polyurethane) for a 88/91 CRX (DX,SI, 19mm I.D.) and proceeded to sand (Harbor Freight "Band File" sander, and a standard bench top sander) the O.D. of the bushing to fit the stock bracket. I had the ADDCO bar and a spare sway bar bracket on my workbench so as I sanded I could check fitment as I went instead of laying on my back, under the car trying to get it done. I will say this, the radius part of the bushing does get somewhat thin to get it to fit in the stock bracket, but only time will tell if that's a problem. As for now, no rattles, no extra noise. The car is mainly stock, about 300k, KYB shocks (AGX front, gas adjust rear) and all suspension bushings have been replaced. The bar makes a big difference (especially stock ride height) . I am reviving this because I ran into the same problem , you can still buy this bar, and the issue has not been resolved.