Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

2014 CR-V Grinding Noise at Start Up

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 CR-V Grinding Noise at Start Up

Bought a 2014 CR-V, EX AWD, back in March and so far it's been running good. However about a week or two ago, I noticed in the morning it sometimes makes a strange grinding noise after starting up. It almost sounds as if you are starting the car and continuing to keep the key going forward.

The noise will last about a second to a second and a half, maximum, and then it'll go away for the rest of the day. It appears to only happen in the morning.

I have put a fair amount of miles on it being I go to Yosemite and other places a lot, but the oil has always been changed on time as well as anything else. In fact the only thing that's needed changed besides oil is the AC filter.

I've read online and so far haven't found much information. Some say Honda thought it was a battery, the oil needing changed, someone on a YouTube video said it's the VTC actuator.

Anyone ever had this issue? Or know anyone who has?
Old 11-06-2014, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2014 CR-V Grinding Noise at Start Up

Under warranty? If so let the dealer take a look and get a good dial on it.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm having the same problem with mine, got it in July and the problem just started happening in the last 3 weeks or so. I thought it was because my mechanic used synthetic oil when he did my oil change but upon reading about this problem in other forums, I've learned that it's the VTC actuator. Only happens when the car has been sitting overnight. Also noticed it only happens when the temperature drops as well. Also, if I start it and it makes the noise and then I shut the engine off, it will not make the noise again upon restarting it. Taking it to the dealer next week. Will post again when I find out what the issue is!
Old 11-10-2014, 03:11 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You better hope it is consistent enough or be prepared to get hit with diagnostic service charges. You would think they would have had this problem fixed by now being that VTC issues have been around for years now... sad.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just heard from the dealership. The problem was not the VTC actuator as originally thought. Instead it was a faulty valve spring that had broken off and was somewhere inside the engine. Service tech had to take engine apart to find it and is putting it back together as we speak. According to the service manager, "we see this problem all of the time". Well that's comforting. No charge since I've only had the car 4 months.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi gigi913, any update on your CR-V? Is the noise gone now?
Old 12-01-2014, 01:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The dealer told me the problem was a broken valve spring which they fixed under warranty. I got the car back the next day. A day later, the noise started up again. I called the dealer back and they stated that a bulletin was going go be released by Honda headquarters for the 2014 model having this problem and that it is a faulty VTC actuator. I have to wait until this bulletin comes out and then bring the car back again for repair. The bulletin I gave them that described the exact problem only applies for model years 2009-2012 but apparently is becoming a known issue in the 2014 models. Why they didn't just fix this to begin with is beyond me.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi gigi913,

Thanks for the update. It sucks that you have to bring the car back again! It's also interesting that you mentioned how some older models have the same issue. A family member has a 2006 model and you never hear that grinding noise at all. That's why I did not think mine was making some "expected" noise in the winter. You're right....it would've been easier for them to fix the problem to begin with. Oh well...I guess we will have to wait! I will update any new development with my CRV here.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My wife has a 2014 CR-V that had the VTC Actuator grind. She took it in while cold in WI temps to replicate the problem. It did so they replaced it. I haven't heard it since it's been fixed but she said it did do it 1 time after the fix. Haven't taken it back in though since it hasn't for me when I have drove it. This was a problem on the earlier CR-Vs like 2012 but sounds like it was never really fixed for 2014.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:00 PM
Trial User

Bought new 2014 crv and when the weather got cold the start up noise started. It would be on initial start up in the morning and even at lunch when I left work. Took it to the service at the dealership and the VT actuator was replaced. Did okay for about two weeks. Then when it was only about 45 degrees one morning it happened again. Took back to the dealership again. Was told I was the only complaint they had on this. Vehicle had a few miles over 6000 miles. The dealership traded me out of that crv to another crv. With less than 300 miles on it the same noise happened twice already. I have read many complaints on line about this. I would think Honda should have fixed this by now. One Man posted to turn the key, but not all the way to crank the vehicle for a few seconds and then crank it. He thinks it is an electrical problem with the actuator. The few seconds gives it time to reposition and send the oil to the valves
Old 12-18-2015, 06:53 AM
RSW
Trial User

We have the same problem. Happens in colder temperatures. Brought to dealer and left overnight. They couldn't duplicate the problem and told us to record the sound. We did that and brought it back. Now they say there is a bulletin coming out the beginning of next year and we have to wait for this before they can fix.

This is our 1st Honda and may be our last. We also had a problem with the rear hatch switch which took 3 trips to the dealer before they fixrd that problem.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:00 AM
Trial User

Sitting at the dealer right now with my 04 CRV. I mentioned the grinding noise and my service tech went ballistic. Said "I hear that at least 10 times a day - there's nothing I can do about it!" "That's fine," I said. "I just wanted it documented so that when Honda figures it when I'm out of warranty in 9 months I will have some proof that I reported it while it was in warranty."

"If that happens then you'll need to contact Honda", he says. So I push it and asked if they could at least document it for me? His exact response was "If I write it down, it will have to go to a tech and you'll need to leave your vehicle here until tomorrow." That is ridiculous - it was 9:30am

Very rude service and I will not be returning to this dealership again.

Bottom line is that this issue will NEVER be fixed by Honda.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by InsaneBoost
Bought a 2014 CR-V, EX AWD, back in March and so far it's been running good. However about a week or two ago, I noticed in the morning it sometimes makes a strange grinding noise after starting up. It almost sounds as if you are starting the car and continuing to keep the key going forward.

The noise will last about a second to a second and a half, maximum, and then it'll go away for the rest of the day. It appears to only happen in the morning.

I have put a fair amount of miles on it being I go to Yosemite and other places a lot, but the oil has always been changed on time as well as anything else. In fact the only thing that's needed changed besides oil is the AC filter.

I've read online and so far haven't found much information. Some say Honda thought it was a battery, the oil needing changed, someone on a YouTube video said it's the VTC actuator.

Anyone ever had this issue? Or know anyone who has?
7/05/2019 - Just bought a used 127,000 mile 2014 Honda CR-V AWD LT from a local Honda dealer in middle Tennessee - I have a limited 3,000 mile / 90 day warranty on the vehicle offered by the dealership, due to the high mileage.

Grind sound after start began two weeks ago, 8/01/2019 - I thought it was the starter. Only happened on morning startup ever other day.
Took it to the dealership, they were able to reproduce the sound. Kept car for four days until they knew if the warranty would cover the issue.

They immediately said it was the VTC actuator - it was covered by the warranty, and they also replaced the chain and tensioners.

This is the second major issue I have had with the vehicle - the day after I bought the car the transmission gave a terrible shudder between 25 mph - 35 mph. The dealership "changed the transmission fluid and did a computer update" that dropped my MPG a couple miles, but did stop the shudder / kicking issue.

I have lost a lot of faith in Honda. I have worked around vehicles most of my career, and having both the ENGINE and the TRANSMISSION have re-occurring, manufacturer sourced issues is deeply concerning. I could deal with lesser systems.

Here is the screenshot of what was repaired for the startup grind sound: (not the starter, FYI)

Old 10-20-2023, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally fixed mine by changing the spring with one handyman spring from amazon. I had to trim the spring a bit since it was a bit longer (the chrome one in the picture). The oem black spring is too weak.
Just note that for Crv you need a 5 side torx plus security bit
  • Spring dimensions: 7/32 inch outside diameter, 1-3/8 inch length, 0.028 inch wire diameter, 7.77 lbs. maximum safe load, 0.526 inch maximum deflection

• Spring dimensions: 7/32 inch outside diameter, 1-3/8 inch length, 0.028 inch wire diameter, 7.77 lbs. maximum safe load, 0.526 inch maximum deflection

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-18-2024, 11:13 PM
Trial User

[QUOTE=Fred_XT;52766859]I finally fixed mine by changing the spring with one handyman spring from amazon. I had to.../QUOTE]

I have been following a couple of these stouter spring replacement fixes as I would prefer to buy a more powerful Gen 4 CR-V over another Gen 3. This whole Gen 4 VTC snafu is a seriously enough reliability concern that it is a deal breaker. Does your spring replacement continue to be a viable fix? Did your motor rattle long enough to stretch the chain and/or damage cam sprocket teeth? Did you measure a final uncompressed length for your shortened chrome spring? Any performance concerns around the possible higher oil pressure required to release the pin from its hole?

Last edited by h-habilis; 01-18-2024 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-19-2024, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 3rd Gen CRV, 09 LX AWD. 130k. My CRV sits outside all the time. No grinding noises ever. But upcoming maintenance that I want to do is to replace the VTC solenoid.
The following users liked this post:
Old 01-20-2024, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fix is permanent, no issues. Now it goes into VTC mode a bit later which is not a bad thing. Cruising highway MPG is at 31 so no complaints.
I did not measure the final length of the new spring, just make it a tad longer than the weak OEM as shown in the picture.
I also did not notice chain being stretched (good tension) and there is no engine code. Since I bought the car used I don't know how many miles it was doing that, but for me about 30K miles (50K to 80K miles)
Old 01-20-2024, 07:05 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by mtnbikeracer76
I have a 3rd Gen CRV, 09 LX AWD. 130k. My CRV...
Same here, my '09 CR-V EX-L with 125K mi never had a VTC rattle either, and was often started in subzero temps. I'm in the market for another one, but nice loaded Gen 3 AWD's are getting a little scarce but creampuff Gen 4's are more abundant, and nothing wrong with a few more ponies under the hood. The problem appears to begin in '11 model with the advent of higher output motors with a different part number VTC intake cam sprocket and related code. If ignored for too long in a colder climate, it appears the chain elongates which possibly leads to other issues, including damage to the cam sprockets.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:12 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Fred_XT
The fix is permanent, no issues. Now it goes into VTC mode a bit later...
Thanks for the reply, it seems most folks have a positive experience with this approach whereas other people who replace the VTC sprocket often experience a re-occurrence of the issue.
Old 01-21-2024, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same issue with my 2004 Element and it was the starter. Replaced with an aftermarket and problem disappeared.