Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

2013 CR-V 2.4 excess oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 CR-V 2.4 excess oil consumption

I have a 2013 CRV EX-L 2.4 with about 85k that's using oil but Honda call's it "acceptable". My daughter owns it and is not the type that wants to check the oil level and add oil every few weeks or month as has been the case. I'm actually afraid she'll run it dry. What a shock. I understand the need to check oil level regularly on an old Chevy, or Harley, but once every few weeks in a modern engine? This otherwise immaculate CR-V just dumped most of it's private party resale value it had cause I'm not going to lie to anyone about it. Anyone else have this problem with a 2.4?

Thank you,

goco
Old 03-19-2019, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 2013 CR-V 2.4 excess oil consumption

Have you checked the PCV ? that can cause excessive consumption.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by goco
I have a 2013 CRV EX-L 2.4 with about 85k that's using oil but Honda call's it "acceptable". My daughter owns it and is not the type that wants to check the oil level and add oil every few weeks or month as has been the case. I'm actually afraid she'll run it dry. What a shock. I understand the need to check oil level regularly on an old Chevy, or Harley, but once every few weeks in a modern engine? This otherwise immaculate CR-V just dumped most of it's private party resale value it had cause I'm not going to lie to anyone about it. Anyone else have this problem with a 2.4?

Thank you,

goco
i did a seafoam piston soak on a 2011 crv of about an ounce per cyl hand tightened the sparkplugs and left it for a few days the seafoam eventually drained past the rings into the oil which i plan to change within 500 kms i also changed the pcv valve and one or the other or both has seemed to help with the oil burning I no longer smell oil when revving the engine ,time will tell if it will burn more oil . P.S it is important to note that if you try the seafoam soak you should make sure the seafoam has drained off into the crank or turn the engine over with no plugs in before running the crv to avoid potential hydro locking the engine. Also my old pcv valve seemed to work (it rattled and moved freely and seemed to be closing fully) but I suspect it was defective as i could see a spring when looking into the pcv valve that looked like it had shifted position and was out of place so this would be a logical starting point which does not cost a lot and easily accomplished with simple tools. (google crv pvc valve replacement). I will update my own post about oil burning If i find that my oil issue is resolved after some miles.

Last edited by doh13; 03-22-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-02-2023, 12:13 PM
Trial User

Same vehicle, year and mileage. I noticed the loud rattle now known as the timing chain rattle on start up. Why do I talk about this in an oil consumption area? Because they are related. I couldn't figure out why the rattle at 75,000. I searched the internet and You Tube. Found out that these Hondas from 2023 start to burn oil t around 75000. I was curious so I checked my oil level 1 month after I changed it. My oil dipstick came out dry. I had no idea how low it was. So after adding 2 quarts it was at the full mark. A mechanic on YouTube stated that if these Hondas run low on oil, it will cause the timing chain to stretch. This causes the VCT noise. After I topped off the oil and drove it the rattle nearly disappeared, but not completely. The VCT actuator is not the issue. The excessive oil consumption is the culprit. But why at around 75,000? Honda knows it is all related. They know the problems originate with the oil consumption. Honda really screwed up engineering this CRV. The problem now is what are intending to do about it?