Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

2005 CR-V Idle not the same

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 CR-V Idle not the same

Long story short, i replaced my intake tube because i noticed that it was split open. I looked in the throttle body and saw that it had some carbon build-up so I wiped it clean with throttle body cleaner.I started the car without connecting one the the connectors and it threw a code. I turned the car off, cleared the code and plugged the connector back in. Started the car (no check engine light) and test drove it. BUT... every time i came to a stop the car would stall. Now i read that I needed to perform a idle learn procedure. Ok I reset the computer, turn the key to on position wait two seconds...start car hold @ 3000 rpm until fan comes on then let idle.

Now this is where I am at. But at this point i just want to state that this CR-V has a Standard transmission and is made in the UK, also it has 170,000 miles. I am going to try and describe the problem the best i can. The RPM bounces. If I'm driving the car (in fourth gear) and slide the shifter into neutral the rmp drops to 800, bounces back to 1600 and then down to 1000 and stays there. Also while driving the car, it kind of bucks when I am at a cruising speed. It's hard to explain but the car is definitely not the same. The car ran fine before all this started.

I brought it to the dealer last week said they didn't find any wrong and said the the valves needed to be adjusted. $400 later and the same problem persists. Any thoughts? Has anyone had this problem?
Old 09-11-2018, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2005 CR-V Idle not the same

The idle air control valve could be sticking with gummed up carbon deposits if solvent was sprayed into the throttle body. You might have to take a look at the data pids with a scan tool to see if the maf, iat or iac values are changing or out of range when they shouldn't be, like at idle condition.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My money is on you knocked some shmoo loose somewhere in the intake. Take it apart and clean it again and more thoroughly. Use a toothbrush if need be.
Make sure all the intake tubing is sealed
Make sure the throttle body can fully close and its hinges are clean, it only needs to be stuck open a hair to cause problems.
Make sure theirs no smoo or buildup over the ports that divert air.
Make sure all those connectors are fully plugged in and not loose, maybe take them apart and put them back together a few times to get through any corrosion.

Make sure you do the idle relearn procedure after all of these
Old 09-17-2018, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nave43 i think you hit the nail on the head. Initially I had wipe the Throttle body with out removing it. So it is very possible that some junk could have dropped behind the plate. I found another throttle body off another 2005 CRV and swapped it out and it was the same (only cost me $50). At this point I have been trying to get caught up to date with this type of fuel system. I have rebuild many four barrel carbs (Rachester, Holley) and two barrel ect, But never fuel injection. Call me old school lol. Was afraid to take the intake plenum off so I just did more research. After talking to some people, one of them said try lucas gas treatment. And I did, to my surprise within two days the bucking diminished down to nothing. So I have to agree that some dirt made it way down the plenum and some were the dirt was causing the interference.

Just want to say thank you to the replies and hope that this post can help some else.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Your very welcome, glad i could help.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to reopen this thread but I didn't want anyone to spend the money that i had spent trying to figure it out, and also to be certain of the problem. The fuel treatment that I mentioned worked but within a week or so the problem start again. The biggest problem was while driving at a ideal speed like 40 mph and rpm's at 2,300. If you just slightly touch the gas peddle then let up the car would do this bucking thing. Almost like the engine hadn't caught up yet. Every weekend since the time i replaced the tube, I have been trying to back track my foot steps. With a mirror looking around i found that the bottom side of the tube coming from the air box to the valve cover was split open. Never would have found it other wise. Because of the age of the car when i remove the box to replace the throttle body tube it most have split open. So the fix was only $1.00..... I had spent hundreds. I hope this post helps. Thanks

Old 12-04-2018, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info! Do you know the official name for that tube? Or a part number?
Old 12-05-2018, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ozmodiar
Thanks for the info! Do you know the official name for that tube? Or a part number?
It's not in the Air Cleaner or Cylinder Head Cover subgroups for whatever reason. Despite being labeled "breather tube" it's not there either. It's in "water hose" https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-...ater-hose.html

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuin...-17044-10.html Honda Part No.: 95005-17044-10 Tube (17X44)
It says it is discontinued but that this bulk hose should work:
https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuin...17001-10m.html