Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

2001 CRV diff swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 CRV diff swap?

I have a 2001 CRV AWD that had the auto tranny go bad and I'm trying to fix it up and sell it. I drove 3 hrs away to buy a 140k miles "good" tranny from a guy in KC for $300. Get home, put it in and when I take it for a test drive around my property it clunks real loud most times I hit the throttle but rolls back and forth just fine. I jack it back up to find that my passengers side axle is slipping when I twist it hard by hand. I pull the axle out and put my fingers inside the cavity that the axle feeds into to check for worn teeth or something and realized that ring with the teeth the axle feeds into is real loose and I can move it around. I know they normally move a little but not nearly this much. I'm certain this is my issue. I'm assuming this is part of the differential. Sorry I'm dumb when it comes to trannies. May not be part of the differential at all but all I know is, if you pull an axle, stick your finger in the hole, the thing that has the grooves that the axle slides into, I can push it up and down and side to side quite a bit. It is loose or broken which I'm assuming is why my axle is slipping.

So my question is: since I have a tranny that is good besides this diff isuue or whatever it is, and my old tranny that the clutches are bad in with a good diff, can I swap the diffs between the two to make one good tranny? Is it possible/worth it? If it is possible and it's something that may be over my head to do myself, is it gonna cost me more than it's worth to have a tranny shop do it for me?

I'm just in a tight spot because I've already invested money into this car to fix it and the guy sold me a bad tranny. Now I'm needing to get this thing fixed and sold ASAP!

Last edited by rexb16a; 03-16-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2001 CRV diff swap?

yes you can swap the diffs its alot of work to get to the diff the entire trans is basically disassembled only thing left thats not taken out is the input shaft bearing
Old 03-19-2016, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My other option might be swap the clutch packs from the newer tranny with the bad diff to replace the bad ones in my old tranny with the good diff. I have never messed with tearing a tranny apart but I have 2 trannies with different problems so surely there is a way to make one good one from the 2.

The old one was driving fine then all of a sudden started slipping real bad eventually like I threw it in neutral then I could shut the car off for a couple minutes and start up and it would drive normal for a few more miles. I was able to limp it home this way but probaly burned up the clutches most likely from a lack of fluid from a clogged filter. I'm just guessing.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea it's possible but at what cost to you , do you know the history of the good clutch pack...try to source a new clutch pack if possible and weigh out the pros and cons... If it some how goes bad .. How much down time will it be for you...some would disagree with me on this..but I don't even think the clutch pack is "Honda" I think just like the manual transmission a 3rd party contracted to produce it for them same with there bearings, water pump and timing belt...if you do hooked up an external filter and a small trans cooler.. Remember the fluid has to reach a certain temp for optimal ..too cold too hot fluid doesn't work properly...bypass the stock heater/cooler under the radiator...and run the cooler..you basically want the cooler just in case you spike the temp.. While in stop and go traffic and hauling a full cargo/passengers
Old 03-22-2016, 02:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I should add this is a flip vehicle not something I'm keeping. It's got almost 200k on it and I'm just fixing it up to sell and didn't expect to have to do the tranny twice so my profit margin is shrinking. Just trying to fix it for as cheap as possible. My whole purpose for this car is to make money. I want it to be right fit the new owner but I've already bought a transmission from a guy that was supposed to be good so now I just need it fixed before my profit margin disappears.