Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

1998 cr-v speedometer isn't working

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 cr-v speedometer isn't working

I took out my gauge cluster to see how to replace some lights and i put it all back the way I found it but now my speedometer says im going 40 kph faster than I actually am and it sits at 20 when its parked. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?
Thanks,
Harrison
Old 07-03-2019, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: 1998 cr-v speedometer isn't working

Re-check all electric connections. There could be flat cables inside which you inserted wrong. Buy a can of electric contact cleaner spray from an electronic parts store and clean all connections.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: i have taken apart my gague cluster to see if i could fix it and have discovered that it's not a loose connection between the wires since it still sits at 20 when the speedometer is fully removed even from the gague cluster. When i flip the speedometer upside down the needle sits where it should so i think it has something to do with the device that turns the needle. I tried to remove the needle its self so i could get behind the plastic so I could see how it worked but i can't figure out how to remove the needle. Any information on how it works would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks