Default Re: *Official H/T OFFROAD/LIFTED CR-V thread!*

Originally Posted by Caoboy
Is that a Westin' Safari?
Yes, with the skid plate
Old 05-26-2019, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to this CRV thing. I just purchased a ‘98 Auto AWD for a grand. I was looking for something to tow when I camp. I am please to find I can do some off-road mods. I am ordering some OME with new shocks/struts for the V. I have spent a good amount of time reading this thread and others but have got a clear direction for tires. I want to get some new treads, but I am not clear if what I want will work. I have found some people saying they have 31”x10.5” on 15x8 wheels. However, most everyone seems to run 215x75x15 on here.
I am looking to do 30x9.5” Maxxis Buckshot. With a 15x8 alu Mickey Thompson wheel. These are the specs of the wheel: 3.6” backspacing, -22mm offset, 5x4.5 bolt pattern, 81.48 hub bore.
I have another consideration, run a 16x8 wheel. I have found a few that that 0 offset with 4.5 backspacing. This could allow me to run a 215/85/16 tire or possibly a 225/75/16 tire. Are either of these feasible?
I like the buckshot, but I am afraid the 9.5 width may be too much. There are a few other tires that may work in the 16” range.

Will any of these work? I have contacted the shop where I am buying the lift and they have no specs for Honda and OME springs as to what wheels will work. I know the tires may run on the outer fender under compression, I want to know if the tires will clear the spindle and the control arm. I am ok with some grinding in the wheel well. But don’t want to alter the suspension/spindle/control arms.
Thanks for the help and direction.

Last edited by newBluCRV; 05-27-2019 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

@
Old 05-27-2019, 03:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by newBluCRV
I am new to this CRV thing. I just purchased a ‘98 Auto AWD for a grand. I was looking for something to tow when I camp. I am please to find I can do some off-road mods. I am ordering some OME with new shocks/struts for the V. I have spent a good amount of time reading this thread and others but have got a clear direction for tires. I want to get some new treads, but I am not clear if what I want will work. I have found some people saying they have 31”x10.5” on 15x8 wheels. However, most everyone seems to run 215x75x15 on here.
I am looking to do 30x9.5” Maxxis Buckshot. With a 15x8 alu Mickey Thompson wheel. These are the specs of the wheel: 3.6” backspacing, -22mm offset, 5x4.5 bolt pattern, 81.48 hub bore.
I have another consideration, run a 16x8 wheel. I have found a few that that 0 offset with 4.5 backspacing. This could allow me to run a 215/85/16 tire or possibly a 225/75/16 tire. Are either of these feasible?
I like the buckshot, but I am afraid the 9.5 width may be too much. There are a few other tires that may work in the 16” range.

Will any of these work? I have contacted the shop where I am buying the lift and they have no specs for Honda and OME springs as to what wheels will work. I know the tires may run on the outer fender under compression, I want to know if the tires will clear the spindle and the control arm. I am ok with some grinding in the wheel well. But don’t want to alter the suspension/spindle/control arms.
Thanks for the help and direction.
I have 225/75r16 on the stock rims, with 2 inch wheel spacers. Mine is a 2005, I'm not sure if there is a difference in the wheel well sizes or anything but in order to run 225/75r16 you will need a spacer or offset rim because they are going to scrap the strut assembly If you don't. However I scrap the inner fender a tiny amount at full turn but that's not really an issue 😂

Hope this helps
Old 05-27-2019, 08:54 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Bell
Yes, with the skid plate
It looks good from that angle! Do you have any more pics? My wife saw that and said 'i want a gangster bumper like that!'
Old 05-27-2019, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My 99 EX

Got bored and took all the doors off for summer. It’s super fun to drive and noticeably faster.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:23 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

You want to die?
Old 05-28-2019, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It looks good from that angle! Do you have any more pics? My wife saw that and said 'i want a gangster bumper like that!'

Old 05-28-2019, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Waderick
My 99 EX

Got bored and took all the doors off for summer. It’s super fun to drive and noticeably faster.

Is it even legal to do that? 😂
Old 06-02-2019, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Josh Bell
I have 225/75r16 on the stock rims, with 2 inch wheel spacers. Mine is a 2005, I'm not sure if there is a difference in the wheel well sizes or anything but in order to run 225/75r16 you will need a spacer or offset rim because they are going to scrap the strut assembly If you don't. However I scrap the inner fender a tiny amount at full turn but that's not really an issue 😂

Hope this helps
What wheels are you using? What offset is your rim and do your wheels have back spacing besides the spacers you have on?

Thanks,
Old 06-02-2019, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm fresh out I've highschool now, and yeah I've got plans. I've been thinking for those who like hammock camping, or easy go car camping. I'm going to call it the hammock hanger.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got an 05' mirror, silver, passenger. 70$ and I'll ship it.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just picked up a 2005 CR-V and could use some advice.

I’m thinking about going with the Dobinsons 40mm lift springs. I also intend to use kyb struts. Will standard size struts work with these springs or do I need taller struts? So far in my research I have not come up with an answer.

If if I need taller struts, can someone suggest which ones to go with?

I currently in Jamaica and will be coming back to the US at the end of August. I will pick up the needed parts and carry them back with me. I don’t want to get the wrong parts and not be able to install them on my vehicle.

Thanks in in advance for your advice.

Mike
Old 06-12-2019, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I finally got the answer. The Dobinsons rep says the standard strut will work with those springs
Old 06-19-2019, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Daniel Wilcox
AEROGENICS 1in spacers for sale.
Used for little less than a year. Have the nuts for them also just have to find them
200 shipped to your front door or OBO

How did you like using the spacers?
Old 06-22-2019, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Arturo Azcue
How did you like using the spacers?
Being new to this platform, frankly I’m not sure about spacers. I did see these in this thread. Previous platforms I’ve owned have always been “body on chassis” so I’ve always gone the spring route. My gut tells me that springs make the better swap, but I have nothing to back that up.

I contacted a custom spring manufacturer, but they want too much money for a “one off” custom spring. I really like the idea of dobinsons springs. I have some time to continue my research, as I won’t be back to the states until the end of August.

I would really be interested in some feedback specifically on dobinsons springs and the aerogenics spacers.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-19-2019, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ClabbeB
I removed the useless storage box in the center console and filled it up with switches

so did you build this rocker panel custom? im trying to figure out how to wire everything without requiring 30 different cables going to my battery and switches. anyone know how?
Old 07-19-2019, 05:10 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Get something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-5025-Blade/dp/B000THQ0CQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=blue+sea+fuse+block&qid=1563584986&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-5025-Blade/dp/B000THQ0CQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=blue+sea+fuse+block&qid=1563584986&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1
Old 07-21-2019, 02:54 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

New to the forum. About to send 3 kids to college so I can't afford new cars and I just bought a 2005 Honda CRV EX. I got the one in this pic for $2800.00 cash, with 172K miles; Engine and transmission are in perfect shape, but it's beaten up on the exterior and front suspension needs work. I already dropped $940.00 on suspension parts but have not yet gotten tires or struts because I'm thinking of lifting it. Doesn't seem like there's much out there for 2nd gen honda crvs - except OME and HRG?
Old 07-22-2019, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by dubblejab
I just bought a 2005 I'm thinking of lifting it. Doesn't seem like there's much out there for 2nd gen honda crvs - except OME and HRG?
Theres rubber lift spacers on eBay from “Tema4x4” out of Russia. Also Aerogenics(?) makes aluminum(?) lift spacers. I wouldn’t go any higher than 30mm front and rear though - it’s really stretching it out beyond that.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:31 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Dobinson off-road sells springs on amazon
Old 07-22-2019, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dobinson off-road sells springs on amazon
Unfortunately those have been out of stock for a minute. I've had my eye on them for a while.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dubblejab
Engine and transmission are in perfect shape, but it's beaten up on the exterior and front suspension needs work. I already dropped $940.00 on suspension parts but have not yet gotten tires or struts because I'm thinking of lifting it.
Finish fixing the suspension before you start lifting. The strain of the lift will wear down everything a lot faster. Speaking from experience. Don't go over 1.5", you will be throwing on new parts a lot more often than you'd like if you do.
Aerogenics sells a pretty decent kit on eBay, I think I paid about $150 for 1.5" all around. You're also going to need adjustable control arms in the rear for camber, and specialty bolts up front. Depending on the wheels you'll also need some wheel spacers to clear the calipers. Do the lift before you throw on bigger wheels and tires, or you will get a lot of rubbing.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by C. Zahn
so did you build this rocker panel custom? im trying to figure out how to wire everything without requiring 30 different cables going to my battery and switches. anyone know how?
Yes, I did.
Had a local company cut out the frame and bought all switches and meters as I wanted them off eBay.

I have one 25mm cable going from the battery (with a 100amp automatic fuse) to a distribution block.
From the block I have 1pcs 10mm cable going to the fuse for my roof lights and the rest of the connectors are 4mm cables into the fuses.

I used such a fuse block as Cauboy linked to but it melted due to the current running through it, so I wouldn´t recommend it unless you are gonna use it for just small accessories.
I have a lot of lights so, that is why mine melted, not once, but two times.

The connections on the backside of the switches is another horns nest instead :D
Here I have just used a regular stereo ISO connectors as cables so I can easily disconnect it if needed.

Quick Reply: *Official H/T OFFROAD/LIFTED CR-V thread!*