Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

*Official H/T OFFROAD/LIFTED CR-V thread!*

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 09:36 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: *Official H/T OFFROAD/LIFTED CR-V thread!*

Hey guys I have a 2001 Honda CR-V.

I have it on OME springs and bilstein shocks with 3” strut spacers. The rides kinda of stiff and I was wondering if anyone would have a solid solution for me. I changed my tie rods and rear trailing arm bushings because they were bad and I thought that was the problem but it still proceeds and I also looked at bushings in my rear upper and lower and front upper and lower control arms and everything looks good but I’m not sure if I need to upgrade certain things or what to make the ride smooth again.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JadedoodRd1
Hey guys I have a 2001 Honda CR-V.

I have it on OME springs and bilstein shocks with 3” strut spacers. The rides kinda of stiff and I was wondering if anyone would have a solid solution for me. I changed my tie rods and rear trailing arm bushings because they were bad and I thought that was the problem but it still proceeds and I also looked at bushings in my rear upper and lower and front upper and lower control arms and everything looks good but I’m not sure if I need to upgrade certain things or what to make the ride smooth again.
Ive heard from more than one person that the OME springs make the ride stiff as hell. Might not be anyway around that if you decide to keep them on. Also, not trying to dog on your setup in anyway, but are those OME providing lift, as well as the 3" strut spacers? 3" lift on a crv is already kind of maxing out the tolerances as it is, any more than that, you might be putting a lot of strain on your suspension. You can expect early component failure often. Are the Bilsteins extended travel shocks? Just some things you might want to consider when it comes to how your ride handles.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I finally installed my new wheels and tires. I also got 4 led cube lights for the front and back, just have to get them wired. I think I am gonna end up getting a 1.25 inch lift spacer for the rear since I noticed it rubs slightly under load. Does anyone have recommendations? What else would I need for alignment?

I ended up getting hub centric rings, but now i cant insert the hub cover that came with the wheels...

Old 03-10-2019, 01:05 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

3" strut spacers, remove those.

The springs are designed to have a load on them, plus if they're brand new, they need to break in.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hdragon101116
So I finally installed my new wheels and tires. I also got 4 led cube lights for the front and back, just have to get them wired. I think I am gonna end up getting a 1.25 inch lift spacer for the rear since I noticed it rubs slightly under load. Does anyone have recommendations? What else would I need for alignment
You're going to need rear adjustable camber arms and up front specialty camber bolts. I got my camber arms on eBay for $64 and the bolts on Amazon for $15. Installation is pretty easy.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alrighty boys, question.
So I hope I'm not the only one with this issue, but sunroof open+ roof rack= lots of wind and noisee.
i was thinking about getting a sunroof wind deflector, do y'all think that would cut the wind being blown into the cabin and reduce the turbulence?
Old 03-24-2019, 05:46 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Yes it does. I have the oem Honda one, it works well.

Also so cracking the back windows helps to alleviate the wind buffeting.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

AEROGENICS 1in spacers for sale.
Used for little less than a year. Have the nuts for them also just have to find them
200 shipped to your front door or OBO

Old 04-16-2019, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I finally got around to installing my 1" lift up front. Had the front end suspension apart to replace control arms, end links, ball joints, and outer tie rod ends, so I figured why not. Now I'm getting a rubber to metal squeal whenever I turn, from the right strut. That and the rears have been creaky whenever I go over bumps, since I installed them months ago. Anyone else experience this? All the struts still seem to be in good working condition. Is there a simple remedy? Something I did wrong perhaps? I'm gonna have the front end apart again soon to do the bearings since I still can't seem to get rid of the highway shake at 55-80mph, so if I can fix it then, I'd like to.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PolkaSauce
So I finally got around to installing my 1" lift up front. Had the front end suspension apart to replace control arms, end links, ball joints, and outer tie rod ends, so I figured why not. Now I'm getting a rubber to metal squeal whenever I turn, from the right strut. That and the rears have been creaky whenever I go over bumps, since I installed them months ago. Anyone else experience this? All the struts still seem to be in good working condition. Is there a simple remedy? Something I did wrong perhaps? I'm gonna have the front end apart again soon to do the bearings since I still can't seem to get rid of the highway shake at 55-80mph, so if I can fix it then, I'd like to.
Mine does this as well. But it is from a rubber insulator / spacer I for some reason thought would be a good idea to place on top of the lift spacer. One of these days I'll pull the rear struts and take it out. I also have a shake on the highway. Can't seem to get rid of it. I have balanced wheels, it has brand new tires I have even checked each one for belt separation, wheel centric rings, done multiple steering component checks, even alignment a few times. (I'm a Journeyman mechanic, and have a shop) I also have the shake on acceleration, so I am thinking I might change out the CV axles running out of things to replace.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by uriedog
I also have a shake on the highway. Can't seem to get rid of it. I have balanced wheels, it has brand new tires I have even checked each one for belt separation, wheel centric rings, done multiple steering component checks, even alignment a few times. (I'm a Journeyman mechanic, and have a shop) I also have the shake on acceleration, so I am thinking I might change out the CV axles running out of things to replace.
I feel the exact same way, the frustration is real. At this point I'm replacing the bearings cause I can hear a slight hum on the highway. Found a good deal on some Monroe struts too since they're not preloaded so might as well, the struts on there now look original and the car is over 150k miles. I'm really hoping one of the two fixes the issue. I'm not thinking mine is a CV, cause I don't get the clunks on turns or shakes on accel/decel. Just in the specific highway speed range. Tires are fairly new, don't notice any oddities in their shape. Balanced wheels. I've rotated them multiple times. Hubcentric spacers. I get an alignment everytime I do any kind of work down there. The shop I take it to is starting to feel bad for me lol. Feels like I'm throwing money at a fire hoping it will extinguish, and I'd really like to get it fixed so I can go back to actually modding it. Summer is coming soon, and I'm dying to take it to the mountains.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:04 AM
Trial User

this guys sells custom spacers, seems like a decent budget option https://www.hondarescue.com/shop
Old 05-05-2019, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone on here try out the Honda rescue subframe drop kit to get rid of the cv axle shake on acceleration?
Old 05-10-2019, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Those that have exterior lights on there CRV. Where and how are you running the wires into the cabin? I wanted to put rock lights in the wheel wells and spot lights but cant seem to figure out how to run them into the cabin for a switch?
Old 05-12-2019, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My 98’ I bought for $525.00 and I’m slowly trying to fix little problems and make it a little better .
I have it on 15x7 Black Rhino Boxers with 215/75 BF Goodrich Ko2’s . Just recently put Aerogenics 1.5” lift spacers in the rear . Thinking now I need to bring the front up a little.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-12-2019, 04:56 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Those wheels look clean! What offset?

I love the look of a slightly lower offset yet not the -15 or 0 jeep type wheels that stick out like 3 inches on a Honda...
Old 05-12-2019, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Caoboy
Those wheels look clean! What offset?

I love the look of a slightly lower offset yet not the -15 or 0 jeep type wheels that stick out like 3 inches on a Honda...
The offset is +15mm and thank you . I wanted something different with the wheels and haven’t seen them on a crv and thought why not ?
Old 05-12-2019, 07:41 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

It was definitely worth it.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Wilcox
Those that have exterior lights on there CRV. Where and how are you running the wires into the cabin? I wanted to put rock lights in the wheel wells and spot lights but cant seem to figure out how to run them into the cabin for a switch?
I failed to find any "easy" way to pull cables into the cabin except for drilling through the torpedo wall, which I was not very keen on, so I pulled the cables behind the wheel arch and through the side plate in the doorway.
Been running like this for 1½ years now without any problems

Old 05-15-2019, 01:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Starting to get happy with the look.. Even though I look like a giant beside it

Old 05-16-2019, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm thinking I might need another battery. I'm doing a 6 gang rocker panel. I'm going to be running a sub, 2 light bars, light pods, and fog lights.

Then for the 6th one I want to do a power switch that cuts all power to the accessories.

So do y'all think it would be nessasary for another battery, if so where would I put it? (05 crv)
Then any ideas on that power switch?
Old 05-22-2019, 03:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by C. Zahn
I'm thinking I might need another battery. I'm doing a 6 gang rocker panel. I'm going to be running a sub, 2 light bars, light pods, and fog lights.

Then for the 6th one I want to do a power switch that cuts all power to the accessories.

So do y'all think it would be nessasary for another battery, if so where would I put it? (05 crv)
Then any ideas on that power switch?
Look at the pic above.
I run

* Light bar 100w (real wattage, not chinese numbers)
* 4x 60w (same here, real numbers)
* 2x Foglights (51w each)
* 2x small lights (55w each)
* 4x rock lights (9w each)
* Pioneer TS-WX11A underseat sub with 150w amp
* 6 rocker switch panel
* 3 external gauges
* CB Radio

And I´m running on a 74Ah battery with stock alternator without any problems.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's mine that I just got a week ago. Put on 225/70 cooper discoverer at3.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ClabbeB
I failed to find any "easy" way to pull cables into the cabin except for drilling through the torpedo wall, which I was not very keen on, so I pulled the cables behind the wheel arch and through the side plate in the doorway.
Been running like this for 1½ years now without any problems

That's the easiest way I found to run the cables for my light bar and everything as well. I haven't had any problems since the wires don't get pinched.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally added a bull bar to my CRV. Might have to add more lights on it now! What do you guys think?

Quick Reply: *Official H/T OFFROAD/LIFTED CR-V thread!*