Notices
Honda Civic Type-R (2017 - Current) 10th Generation Civic Forum Type-R Discussions

Orbis AWD Hybrid Conversion for FK8

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts
Default Orbis AWD Hybrid Conversion for FK8

Highlights:
  • No drivetrain, differential, axles, or other modifications needed
  • Batteries are charged by braking
  • Each wheel adds +50WHP
  • Wheels+Hub+Brake+Rotor weigh very similar to OEM weights
  • Batteries and full kit add 175lb to the car
  • Weight split moves to 57/43 from added weight (more weight in rear)
  • Kit includes computer that work with factory ECU. No tuning needed.
  • Cost starting at $10K sans batteries, so $12-$13K estimated total.
  • Motors and gears are completely weatherproof
  • MPG and emissions are improved
  • CARB legal
  • 0-60 time is lowered by 0.6 seconds (claimed)

Honestly, I want to wait for more information to come out and for this to get out of the "pre order" phase, but this is probably the best modification I've ever seen available for a Honda. I'm curious to see how the electric motors withstand prolong runs and heat, and hear some owner experiences once some others take the plunge.

I also see no reason why this kit couldn't be used in conjunction with a turbo upgrade, like the one offered by Full-Race. In theory, the FK8 could easily achieve supercar performance status with the AWD hybrid kit used in conjunction with upgraded turbo.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Orbis AWD Hybrid Conversion for FK8

It's brilliant, but it's 13k...
Old 05-12-2019, 09:51 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

MPG/emissions improved? MPG improved, maybe, but car is still polluting the same amount.
CARB legal

I wonder how well those wheels handle potholes because that is going to ruin someone's day/motor if the wheel bends and seizes the motor.

If you're buying a CTR for 35k and then adding another 13k on top of that, plus the turbo kit upgrade (~6k depending on options) you're looking at 55-60k depending on who's doing the work.

That's a lot of money for an econobox
Old 05-12-2019, 10:06 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Ok so you buy a refurb'd battery pack out of a Prius...

How does it charge? The Prius system uses the motor as a generator and charges the hybrid battery. No mention of charging.

7-13% regen is meh. So instead of 40 miles EV range you'll get about 44 EV range.

No battery monitor to tell you if you have capacity or not.

Let's say you don't run it on EV only (I doubt that's possible to run the CTR in an EV only mode but who knows) you'll probably end up with 80 miles of 'fun' and then you're back to your boring old CTR with a passenger in the back. I wonder if it is possible to 'turn off' the motor power and allow it to recharge the battery as you drive around.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Caoboy
I wonder how well those wheels handle potholes because that is going to ruin someone's day/motor if the wheel bends and seizes the motor.

If you're buying a CTR for 35k and then adding another 13k on top of that, plus the turbo kit upgrade (~6k depending on options) you're looking at 55-60k depending on who's doing the work.

That's a lot of money for an econobox
Kind of true, but I wouldn't exactly classify the CTR as an "econobox" and group it with the base/sport model Civics.

Even if looking at MSRP, $60K all in for what could (theoretically) be a 2019 5 door with supercar tier performance is not a terrible deal. I agree the price is steep, but I definitely see this appealing to some people, especially once we start seeing more FK8's on the used market for lower prices.

I agree with your concerns about the wheels handling shock and hard drops/bangs - Like I said, I want to see more actual usage of this before deciding it's all it's chalked up to be. So far it seems relatively promising though.

Originally Posted by Caoboy
No battery monitor to tell you if you have capacity or not.

Let's say you don't run it on EV only (I doubt that's possible to run the CTR in an EV only mode but who knows) you'll probably end up with 80 miles of 'fun' and then you're back to your boring old CTR with a passenger in the back. I wonder if it is possible to 'turn off' the motor power and allow it to recharge the battery as you drive around.
My knowledge of hybrids is minimal, to say the most. But I highly doubt it would be hard to add some sort of battery monitor to the car, and I also don't think it should be too hard to find a way to put the batteries in "charge only" mode as well.

Anyway, lots still to question, but I am most definitely intrigued.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:51 PM
footwork mastery

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This is such old news. Why not read the tons of info on them? Would never waste money on that garbage, if they gave me the whole kit for free I wouldn’t use it.

If you’re worried about 0-60 times buy a golf r DSG. CTR is meant to be road raced not drag raced your just adding unneeded weight.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:54 PM
footwork mastery

PS, if you’re that worried about 0-60 get Hondata and run their tune with traction control. Likely knocks off about the same .5-.6 seconds and doesn’t hurt the cars performance/ look like doo doo
Old 05-14-2019, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by .Grimace
This is such old news. Why not read the tons of info on them?
It's several months old, but no one on these forums have discussed it yet. I wanted to see what the interest level was (apparently, very low).

Anyway, I still think this is pretty amazing. And I also don't think this is "drag only" or only useful for a 0-60 time. I'm concerned about the noise level of the rollers, as well as their longevity through daily driving or punishing track time, which is why I'm waiting to see what comes in the future.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha this thing came into the dealership I work at, came in and left on a trailer. Weird wheel/hub thing intact but no rear brakes or any of the electric stuff present
Old 05-16-2019, 11:41 AM
footwork mastery

Originally Posted by Chance EG
It's several months old, but no one on these forums have discussed it yet. I wanted to see what the interest level was (apparently, very low).

Anyway, I still think this is pretty amazing. And I also don't think this is "drag only" or only useful for a 0-60 time. I'm concerned about the noise level of the rollers, as well as their longevity through daily driving or punishing track time, which is why I'm waiting to see what comes in the future.
Having tracked mine multiple times I never have traction issues on track so the added weight isn’t worth it. Car only has traction issues in first so it’s definitely a 0-60 gimmick item which is why no ones buying. Cool idea just not needed.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:46 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

I don't think this is JUST for the type r. It could be for other platforms as well.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The price range is very big. For half the money it would be a good deal. For stock power its useless. This kit might be a good choice for someone that will target 500hp+
Buying a Golf R if you know what you are doing in not an option either.