Notices
Honda Civic Type-R (2017 - Current) 10th Generation Civic Forum Type-R Discussions

Good luck to the next gen Civic Type R

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good luck to the next gen Civic Type R

The VW Golf GTI Clubsport S just set a new fastest Nurburgring FWD record -- 7:49:21, beating out the 2015 CTR's time of 7:50:63

Looks like the FC-based CTR just got its work cut out!
Old 05-04-2016, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Good luck to the next gen Civic Type R

2 things on this:

1) Honda announced when they first beat it that the current R has more left in it, should they need to turn the volume up a bit. I HOPE that Honda will beat it with the R that the US will be getting.

2) They say that they beat it on 'semi slick' tires. -which I assume is a Michelin Pilot Sport Cup type tire, something still somewhat steetable. Honda did it with a summer performance tire, tuned way down from a 'semi slick' type tire. If the Civic R wears some different rubber, that could easily bring the lap time down.

FWIW, not knocking the GTI in any way. I currently have a diesel Jetta that VW will want back, probably by years end. I've found several APR certified dealers that will install anything APR at the time of sale. -an APR tuned GTI with an APR turbo that is dealer installed sounds very enticing.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:14 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

That VW will not be the same once it hits stateside....sorry we already saw that coming after the **** they pulled. There's non way its gonna pass emissions, it will end up going through something more vigorous.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by junkyard racer
FWIW, not knocking the GTI in any way. I currently have a diesel Jetta that VW will want back, probably by years end. I've found several APR certified dealers that will install anything APR at the time of sale. -an APR tuned GTI with an APR turbo that is dealer installed sounds very enticing.
Don't let 'em have it! The lady already told the dealer "good luck getting it from me" so we're keeping her Golf. If the eventual update makes it suck (but the Government mandates we do it to re-register) we'll just do an APR tune on it. They can't make you sell it back.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:24 PM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by spAdam
Don't let 'em have it! The lady already told the dealer "good luck getting it from me" so we're keeping her Golf. If the eventual update makes it suck (but the Government mandates we do it to re-register) we'll just do an APR tune on it. They can't make you sell it back.
So owners were asked to sell back their cars to dealers?
Old 05-09-2016, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Look up what is now referred to as 'dieselgate'.

Basically:
-VW sold diesel's in the US as 'clean diesel'
-YEARS after production, a university began testing various diesel cars to see just how clean they are
-As it turns out, when a VW is put into test mode, it uses a different fuel map to pass emissions testing
-When not plugged in, the 'clean diesel' is actually 40x's past the legal emissions standards for n02
-VW was ordered to fix the cars
-VW has said that a fix is near impossible, full fix still under development
-VW said a few weeks ago, they plan to either a) buy back vehicles or b) fix vehicles; both include a 'settlement' of $5,000. The fix and buyback deal is still pending.

But yeah, this VW Clubsport model is very blah to me. Pretty much everywhere except the US, R models were offered as 'race base' spec. They were delivered to the customer with minimal interior, no radio, sharper tune, sticky tires, etc. and was of course quicker than a factory R. This GTI Club Sport is no different. If the Civic R were available as a 'race base', I anticipate it would smoke the club sport.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

So staying on topic, I think that the US CTR (whatever form it comes in) may end up being a better car than the euro-spec one. The US market Civics have managed to remain with a multi link rear end while all of the European ones have gone to twist beam. Whether or not that even matters in an era of electronically tuned cars where the computers determine how the things drive, who knows.

The five door hatch is coming for sure though, and it's arguably a better car than the Golf regardless of lap times around the 'ring. More cargo space in the hatch, better economy, etc. Running on Pilot Sport Cups or whatever kind of skews those results as well.

Going back off topic, we're pretty aware of "Dieselgate" and have been following closely. I work in the industry and I'm aware of what it means for me as an owner of one of these cars and also as someone who's job may ultimately be affected by the increased scrutiny that will come (although I don't currently work on cars meant for public roads so I'm not terribly concerned about the latter).

VW isn't the first to cheat (Cadillac immediately comes to mind for an almost identical offense), not the first to offer a buyback (Subaru is still trying to buy back first gen US WRX STi's), and won't be the last.

We won't have diesel option to replace the car with and she got a diesel because it fits our lifestyle (traveling for work and weekends) if we give up the car. They can't force us to sell it or to update it. If the state pulls some **** where we can't renew the registration or pass smog without the update, an APR tune is only a reflash away.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:27 AM
Fish Twig

Take it to the track and we'll see.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally believe it because VW has always been honest in the past.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:28 AM
Trial User

Anyway, it's good to keep abreast with the latest news in the field, because forewarned is forearmed.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Traum
The VW Golf GTI Clubsport S just set a new fastest Nurburgring FWD record -- 7:49:21, beating out the 2015 CTR's time of 7:50:63

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01vtxvGuHdg

Looks like the FC-based CTR just got its work cut out!
For the Record. The new US CTR ran 7:43.80.

It destroyed the Golf.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCFIVER
For the Record. The new US CTR ran 7:43.80.

It destroyed the Golf.
Yes, results from the field has repeatedly shown that Honda really did their homework, and kudos to them for doing that. For that matter, a number of tests have shown that the current CTR is even faster than the AWD Golf R in a lot of different performance categories / measurements. So again, kudos to Honda for doing their homework and bringing their A game.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Traum
Yes, results from the field has repeatedly shown that Honda really did their homework, and kudos to them for doing that. For that matter, a number of tests have shown that the current CTR is even faster than the AWD Golf R in a lot of different performance categories / measurements. So again, kudos to Honda for doing their homework and bringing their A game.
The ITR, NSX, and S2000 are all good examples of what they can do when they really want to.

Just wish the new CTR wasn't so damned ugly....
Old 12-24-2017, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The official video in case anyone missed it: