Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Zex Cam stage 2 for D16y8

Old 10-25-2002, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Zex Cam stage 2 for D16y8

If there is anyone out there on honda tech that is using this cam...how are the gains and is the idle stock or lumpy? Also if you have any dyno sheets share if you can.

Khoi
Old 10-25-2002, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Zex Cam stage 2 for D16y8 (Sohc Driver)

I would like to see this too, searching didn't bring up much dyno info. From what I heard you gain about 8hp in the upper range of rpm's.

Here's Import Tuner's review of the cam, pretty good but I want to see what difference the Y8 will do.

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/0102it_zex/

Rob
Old 10-26-2002, 02:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Zex Cam stage 2 for D16y8 (rob_d16y8)

lets see...

quote "The ZEX cam provided excellent power throughout the power band with a peak of 7 hp and 2 lb-ft of torque." WOW 7hp for a $600 cam? Theres a deal.

quote "The ZEX camshaft was the most effective SOHC cam we have tested and made for a quick install." All sohc cams are easy to install..i can do it in 30mins easy. And as for the most effective...? (what?) i bets its cuz its the *ONLY* sohc cam they have tested.

Ive seen some other dynos on them and they only gained 2-4hp. It really depends on the other mods on the car. The one that import tuner did had all the basics.

I have some friends making 150whp + on d16z6 all motor engines and NONE of them would touch a ZEX cam to save their life. (One runs a web cam, although he is swapping to a crower but currently makes 159whp, and my other friend runs a gude and hes making ~150.)

I would take a long look at the crower cams, as they are only $320 (1/2 the price) and are a million times better. Also GUDE makes very good sohc cams. (you just have to ask for the right model..if not they send the wuss cam).

liam
Old 10-26-2002, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Zex Cam stage 2 for D16y8 (liam821)

I'm running the 63441T stage 2 cam in my Y8 along with basic bolt-ons P&P and head getting ready to add a larger throttle body. I love it noticed a difference right away and it pulls really hard (well for a single cam) the idle was a bit of an issue when it was installed but its better now, what ever you do dont get the 63440 crower cam its a replacement for the factory spec cam. I think if I could have done it again I would have gone with the more aggressive stage 2 or stage 3 cam but I'm happy for now maybe ill add one of the others soon...

[Modified by kevcp, 10:20 AM 10/26/2002]

[Modified by kevcp, 10:21 AM 10/26/2002]
Old 10-26-2002, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Zex Cam stage 2 for D16y8 (rob_d16y8)

ahem..the zex cam is only 249 dude...www.nipponpower.com

anywhoo...the issue that i am most concerned with at the moment is putting in the cam without my dad noticing...and if the Zex stage 2 cam gives me a lumpy idle then there goes that idea....

Khoi
Old 10-26-2002, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there are 2 cams for the sohc, street and street/strip, the 'stage 2' requires you tou upgrade your springs and such. And yeah it'll make the engine louder, i have the stage 1 and its tappity, larger/longer lift will do that.

and Liam, i swear this is the second time i've seen you quote zex cams at 600, do you have something against zex cams? alot of people find them to create decent gains and the price has always been under 300, even from Zex directly.

[Modified by splitime, 5:38 PM 10/26/2002]
Old 10-26-2002, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Zex Cam stage 2 for D16y8 (splitime)

there are 2 cams for the sohc, street and street/strip, the 'stage 2' requires you tou upgrade your springs and such. And yeah it'll make the engine louder, i have the stage 1 and its tappity, larger/longer lift will do that.

and Liam, i swear this is the second time i've seen you quote zex cams at 600, do you have something against zex cams? alot of people find them to create decent gains and the price has always been under 300, even from Zex directly.

crap....so are you saying that the stage 2 cams have a lumpy idle...im not really concerned at the loudness of the engine...just if the idle will be off....

Khoi

[Modified by splitime, 5:38 PM 10/26/2002]
Old 10-26-2002, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why are you afraid of your dad to find out?
Old 10-26-2002, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Zex Cam stage 2 for D16y8 (98exShifter)

haha...cuz he'll kill me..lol....my parents are asian..and the stereotype is pretty true that asian parents are really strict....but anywhoo...the original plan was for me to get a B18C...in fact i had sent off a 3000 dollar downpayment to jerome at Sohfast for the 2000 GSR motor with 22k, i did this behind my dad's back because i knew he wouldn't let me do it if he found out.....but surprise surprise...he found out..i had to cancel my check 2 days later after i had mailed the check to jerome... ...so now that i can't get a swap..im going to do something he won't notice..so hopefully the cam will satisfy my crave for power temporarily..until i open a separate bank account without him knowing and save up another 4k for another motor.....or....i could just wait till i graduate college in 2 years.....and do whatever the hell i wanna do with my money...

Khoi
Old 10-26-2002, 01:37 PM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is OT, but you DO realize that you WILL become your dad as you grow older, right? The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, so to speak. You might as well get used to it.

Truth be told, I'll bet he had to pull the same stunts with his dad...
Old 10-26-2002, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Zex Cam stage 2 for D16y8 (BlackDeuceCoupe)

My dad doesn't understand that this is a hobby that i love......and he espeically doesn't understand why i am putting money into a brand new car that he got for me...he sees it as messing up what honda already did for me. He tells me that my car is still under warranty why am i messing up something already good. He believes that the 4000 dollars that I earned should be saved for a better purpose whatever that maybe......and i understand what he is saying....but he doesn't understand how much i love modifying my car. And im sure a lot of you guyz are asking..why don't i just go through with the swap...i earned that 4000 dollars right...well...he threatened to stop paying for my school, apartment, insurance, and car payments..... My dad's probably right...but im young and i want to live my life to the fullest while i still can...

Khoi
Old 10-27-2002, 01:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Zex Cam stage 2 for D16y8 (splitime)

ok my bad about the price. When it first came out it was $600 (i know i looked into it) i didnt know it went down that much.

But the performance is still pretty weak IMO.

liam
Old 10-27-2002, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Zex Cam stage 2 for D16y8 (liam821)

yea my parents are somewhat the same way. They say that my car is still under warranty and blah blah whatever..i don't give a **** about the warranty. My dad kind of understands though because he's into cars too and has built up his own car in the past, but i guess they just don't want me to spend all my money or something..
Old 10-27-2002, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

, but i guess they just don't want me to spend all my money or something..
Exactly! they want us to spend it on something productive....
Old 10-27-2002, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

, but i guess they just don't want me to spend all my money or something..

Exactly! they want us to spend it on something productive....
haha screw that
Old 10-31-2002, 05:05 AM

Sounds like you're in a tough situation. Luckily I don't have to deal with that kind of parental control (I never really did, I was just too broke to do anything to my cars!!). Now I live in the US and my family is all back in the UK. I'd give almost anything to see them more often.....

Anyway, back to my comment....I STRONGLY advise against doing things behind your parents' back. They usually find out, and then the trust they have for you comes into question. Even if they don't, you may end up with a guilty conscience for doing something that you know they didn't approve of. It sucks, but that's just the way it is. I'd recommend talking to your Dad about it. If you can show him how much your car means to you, and all that, he'll likely respect you more - a whole lot more than if you just go out and do something behind his back. If you involve him, even if he doesn't give two hoots about fixing up cars, it makes the point that you care about modifying cars, it makes you happy, but you have respect for him too.

Perhaps you can take things slowly, or perhaps you could talk to your Dad and a compromise......perhaps sell the new civic, and buy an older Civic (92-95) model for less, do the swap (you can get cheaper swaps than Jerome BTW, even though I would recommend Sohfast as a source, they aren't the best bargain). You can even buy a 100,000 mile warranty from a third party company - they are all over the net.

Anyway, I know its kinda tough....my wife doesn't get it either

Steve
Old 10-31-2002, 06:17 AM

well...he threatened to stop paying for my school, apartment, insurance, and car payments.....
uhm... maybe when you actually start paying for your own insurance and car payments can you actually say you 'own' the car.

j/k

my mom was the same way.. couldn't understand why I was messing with my brand new car (waaaay back in 98). But once I started paying the payments and insurance on my own, she couldn't say anything cause it was MY car
Old 10-31-2002, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Zex Cam stage 2 for D16y8 (brcivic411)

So there is hope for the all motor mighty SOHC after all.
Old 10-31-2002, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Zex Cam stage 2 for D16y8 (2camsaam)

Thanks for all of the replies everyone! and i know my dad won't compromise..but he did say do whatever after school..i think his main concern really is that i finish school and get a good job..instead of blowing money on "luxury" amenities...and i understand where he is coming from..but im gonna still do little stuff here and there...hehe...like the cam..im sure will satisfy me for 2 years......i really just want to be able to play with a few Si's instead of having a regular single cammer civic...but after i finish school and start radiology...that motor is coming in! and since i'll have a job by then...maybe i'll have a Jun crate motor..hehehehehe

Khoi
Old 10-31-2002, 02:12 PM

well i would be on your side, if you actually paid for your own crap. but if he pays for the car.. then i think he should have the say in what happens to it.

[Modified by vovinamer, 6:14 PM 10/31/2002]
Old 10-31-2002, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Zex Cam stage 2 for D16y8 (vovinamer)

Old 10-31-2002, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the 59300 zex cam for a while and I wasn't to impressed, however I was running stock compression. I am now building an 11:1 NA d16z6. Here's my question, do either the gude or crower cam use new cast chilled cores? Im not in the mood for a regrind cam for $300+
Old 10-31-2002, 11:42 PM

yeah, Hondas don't even need warranties
Old 01-29-2003, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Zex Cam stage 2 for D16y8 (non vtec)

yeah, Hondas don't even need warranties
heh good point!
Old 02-07-2003, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha...cuz he'll kill me..lol....my parents are asian..and the stereotype is pretty true that asian parents are really strict

Khoi
haha, my parents are the same way. i still do stuff to the car though, they just don't want me spending all my time and all my money on it. they've gotten used to it though and let me do whatever.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Zex Cam stage 2 for D16y8