Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Zeikial2000's EK9 wannabe build thread!!!!!

Old 12-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zeikial2000's EK9 wannabe build thread!!!!!

Hello all, my name is Vinson but all my friends call me Vinnie you may call me whatever you like. Im pretty excited to make some new friends in different places! Figured id post up the my DD project for everyone to see, 98' Dark Amethyst Pearl EK hatch (EJ6) i bought it on (2-25-2011) from some guy for $3500 it had an LS swap in it which looked like it was just slapped in in a matter of hours, not very well done at all. I was told it is lowered on springs in the front and sleeve overs in the rear, looked good but made for a very bumpy uncomfortable ride. It had an aftermarket sunroof put in shotily so the roof is dented and wavy. As far as i can tell its been wrecked at least once, had a different core support put in, and was repainted the headlights and hood didnt line up very well and the headlights themselves were falling apart. So needless to say the thing needs some work but it will get there slowly but surely! I will post a picture timeline to show what has been done to her up until this point.

Here she is the day i bought her!

The replacement suspension i ordered (2-26-2011)

Replaced a couple of mounts (2-27-2011)

Suspension arrived (3-4-2011)

Install (3-6-2011)

And wouldn't ya know it, the front was already lowered on S2 springs lol

And it was obvious the rear had gone to crap a long time ago with as much greasy nastyness the ebay sleeve overs had all over them :angry:

I was so concerened about getting it done and getting it done right that i totally forgot to take after pics so sorry about that

Oh and before i forget i swapped out the muffler that came on my car for a friends old muffler off of his EG hatch, it looks and sounds much better now! (3-7-2011)

Before:

After:

When i first bought the car the first thing i noticed was that the headlights were in bad shape, they were foggy you could barely tell they were on at night and the first time i popped the hood i realized they were in worse shape then originally percieved. Most if not all off the tabs were broken and they were litereally falling apart, so i went ahead and ordered a new set along with some 10k HID's

It was hard to get a pic to show just how good they looked but take my word they looked much better than the old ones, and they werent falling apart lol

I did a console console swap with one of my friends that also owns a hatch because i personally hated where the armrest was located and he wanted an armrest so it worked out for the both of us. I also installed a Wink mirror for better visability while driving

Old one

Newish one

Wink Mirror

Also as many of you know, the longer you have a car the more you start to notice problems with it as have i. I mean i noticed in the beggining that the core support on my car was a little rough but a little rough became a huge understatement the more i got to looking at it. Originally i only noticed something was wrong because my front end wasn't lining up so me and my friend Kyle that owns his own body shop just planned on fixing it but after i had taken a detailed look at it i came to the conclusion that it was beyond repair and would simply need to be replaced along with the roof of my car. One of the other significant issues with the car was the motor and tranny, i had absolutely no idea how many miles were on either of them, they both leaked fluid, and the tranny would grind going into 3rd gear. Luckily i had a "spare" motor swap sitting in my garage

I finally got some wheels for her, when the guy i traded with described them to me i was under the impression that they were Rota Slips but they turned out to be Drag DR-23's which is fine because they are almost identical, im pretty happy with the way they look personally and most if not all of the criticism i've recieved has been positive. Here are a couple of pics!

The night i got them (4-17-2011)

And for reference, Before:

After:

So you remember that "spare" motor swap i said i had laying around!? Well....

What was in it!

Old 12-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Zeikial2000's EK9 wannabe build thread!!!!!

It was pulled on (6-5-2011)

My friend Adam helping me drop the swap in

When all was said and done it took me a week and 4 days to complete the swap from start to finish, and being that 95% of the swap was done myself and that this was the first motor swap ive EVER done id say that was pretty good especially since it fired the first time i went to crank it with no major issues )

Heres a video taken by my friend Aaron of the first start up after i tightened and wired everything. (6-17-2011)

Oh and remember how i was saying that the front end really needed to be fixed!? Well 2 days after finishing the motor swap i decided it was time to fix my front end as well lol, so i dropped it off to my friend Kyles shop to fix the damage and replace my front clip with a 99-00 front end simply because i like that style much better then the 96-98 front, so here is how she sits as of right now!

Old core support and old front end removed (7-25-2011)

On the frame rack about to be pulled (7-26-2011)

Mocked up to see how everything lines up (7-27-2011)

So thats it for now but there is plenty more to come later.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Finally got her back on (8-1-2011)

the reason the front end is black is because i couldnt afford to have it painted right now and there are a few more things i want to get fixed and/or installed beforehand then i plan on getting the entire car painted all at once

Bought a header off a friend for $50

Installed (8-4-2011)

Me and a couple of my buddies working on our cars last night to get ready for a little cruise today, my car, my buddies EP3, and my other friends S2000

Old 12-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Two small updates

I personally hate the amber tail lights

So me and my buddy decided to see if it looked better with his 99'-00' tails

We decided they looked much better so we traded

I also thought the hatch area looked a little empty so i also took his cargo cover off his hands.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm back again with some more updates, enjoy )

Bought a Mishimoto radiator, fan shroud, and silicone hoses (arrived 9-9-11)

Installed (9-17-11)

Finally rolled over 150,000 miles on the chasis (9-24-11)

Took my header and intake off to get polished for a local meet, while they were off i figured i'd take care of something i've wanted to get done since the motor swap and repaint my valve cover. I was actually pleasantly surprised with how clean the cylinder head was when i removed the cover (10-14-11)

Aircraft paint stripper at work

Finished product, finally no more oil or oily finger prints all over it. Its kind of hard to tell in this pic. how nice it is but it looks 10 times better in person and no i didnt leave the letters painted i re polished them.

While waiting for my header and intake to be finished getting polished one of my friends offered me a Skunk2 intake manifold for a price i couldnt resist

Intake finished

Finally got the IM, the intake, and the header on the day of the local meet here is the end result

And here is a video of that same meet, look for my car at the 2:54 time marker

TruForm Fall Meet 2011 - YouTube

And last but not least.....

Bought an OEM EK9 spoiler :drool: (arrived 11-22-11)

Old 12-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Couple hundred views, no interest or constructive critisizm BUMP
Old 12-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

car look great, keep it up
Old 12-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love the type r wing looking to upgrade my fake r to a real one soon . what motor is that b16b ? b18c ?
Old 12-18-2011, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks good bro,every project takes time. Good work and rember keep it ur style not a copy cat.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cadwiese
car look great, keep it up
Originally Posted by gwarfare
Looks good bro,every project takes time. Good work and rember keep it ur style not a copy cat.
Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by canadaek
love the type r wing looking to upgrade my fake r to a real one soon . what motor is that b16b ? b18c ?
Ya i absolutely love the CTR wing, and unfortunately its a B16a i really wish i had the B16b in it though
Old 12-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lovin the bay, good job! looking forward to more
Old 12-18-2011, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at your pictures just took me down memory lane (see my signature). I've got a very similar build in my 99 Civic Coupe. I'd recommend tie bars for the rear and front, upper and lower. It's a cheap upgrade with an instant difference in handling.

Next I'd recommend a urethane engine mount reinforcement kit by energy suspension . It's cheap and will save your mounts in the long run. The only down side I noticed is it transfers engine vibration to the car chassis which will cause buzzes and rattles in the passenger compartment. Swap out that D16 stock drivers side mount with a urethane mount, I've been told the D16 mount wont stand up to a mighty ITR motor

What did you do with your B18B is it for sale?
Old 12-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, it's looking great now! Good choice on wheels. Personally I think they're played out but they look stunning on your car. So I can make an acceptation! Keep it up man!
Old 12-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EJ8_Man
Looking at your pictures just took me down memory lane (see my signature). I've got a very similar build in my 99 Civic Coupe. I'd recommend tie bars for the rear and front, upper and lower. It's a cheap upgrade with an instant difference in handling.

Next I'd recommend a urethane engine mount reinforcement kit by energy suspension . It's cheap and will save your mounts in the long run. The only down side I noticed is it transfers engine vibration to the car chassis which will cause buzzes and rattles in the passenger compartment. Swap out that D16 stock drivers side mount with a urethane mount, I've been told the D16 mount wont stand up to a mighty ITR motor

What did you do with your B18B is it for sale?
I plan on fabricating some traction bars like the Full Race ones at work (im a tig welder/fabricator), also plan on getting a full hasport mount set eventually. Btw It's a B16a not a B18c unfortunately and i sold the LS motor a long time ago
Old 12-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zeikial2000
I plan on fabricating some traction bars like the Full Race ones at work (im a tig welder/fabricator), also plan on getting a full hasport mount set eventually. Btw It's a B16a not a B18c unfortunately and i sold the LS motor a long time ago
Ahh okay, still a fun motor. I have it's big brother in my Civic and it's a great experience.

Another recommendation I had would be to install a cluster for oil temp and oil pressure. I've found both to serve as a reassurance and the oil temp sensor literally saved my motor. Since you have access to a welder adding the bungs for the sensors will be a piece of cake for you. I added my oil temp by welding a bung into my oil pan, and my oil pressure is tee'd off of the stock oil temp pressure sender. Sun Pro makes the bottom line made in China gauges, but I've had them for 2 years now and they both work well for the price I paid.

Good luck
Old 12-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice work so far man! The only thing I would change about your car would be to swap out the ugly 4 door grille with a hatch/coupe one or a si/type r grille other then that keep up the good work
Old 12-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B16B Four Door
Nice work so far man! The only thing I would change about your car would be to swap out the ugly 4 door grille with a hatch/coupe one or a si/type r grille other then that keep up the good work
Ha ha trust me man i know what you mean i hate that grille, my body guy mistakenly ordered the wrong one when he ordered my front end and i was tired of it sitting at the shop so just went ahead and had him put it on. I'm getting the CTR style grille, front lip, and rear lip for christmas so no worries
Old 12-20-2011, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

i don't see how this is a type R
Old 12-21-2011, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hope your putting more ek9 parts sir... i converted my 98 dx to a 96-98 spec ctr, doing the rhd swap now and it will be complete.

Has B16A2 w/gt25 internal wastegated on 8.4lbs
tuned on P28 w/Crome

All following items are authentic CTR:
5 lug fron & rear conversion w/brakes & rims
Recaro seats
Cluster/Shifter/Shift boot/Steering wheel ABS
Carpet
Power Folding mirrors (not wired)
Front(96-98)Headlights w/city/ fenders w/markers/bumper/lips/grill/carbon hood painted
Thin side moldings
Rear hatch w/glass/bumper/rear lip/Wing
Exhaust
Strut Bar
Too much to list
Attached Images    
Old 12-21-2011, 05:53 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zeikial2000
Couple hundred views, no interest or constructive critisizm BUMP
1st, i will say you have done a lot of work to your car, most of it good

I do have some questions though.....
- why remove your armrest?
- what go from an LS motor to a smaller B16, they are the same speed and you have no more tq
- why swap out the intake manifold on the b16? That swap would not even make 1hp

Other than that, i really liked the contrast of the Si wheels you had earlier, but of coarse, that's just an opinion

Originally Posted by Wrona
agreed
Old 12-21-2011, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good work, keep it up!
Old 12-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks good!
Old 12-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by d15bvtechatch
hope your putting more ek9 parts sir... i converted my 98 dx to a 96-98 spec ctr, doing the rhd swap now and it will be complete.

tuned on P28 w/Crome

Recaro seats
Carpet
Front(96-98)Headlights w/city/ fenders w/markers/bumper/lips/grill/carbon hood painted
Thin side moldings
Exhaust
Strut Bar
Too much to list
nice but i would of left it left-hand drive
Old 12-21-2011, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Deetz
agreed
Originally Posted by d15bvtechatch

tuned on P28 w/Crome

Recaro seats
Carpet
Thin side moldings
Exhaust
Strut Bar
Too much to list
Originally Posted by Deetz
1st, i will say you have done a lot of work to your car, most of it good

I do have some questions though.....
- what go from an LS motor to a smaller B16, they are the same speed and you have no more tq
- why swap out the intake manifold on the b16? That swap would not even make 1hp

Other than that, i really liked the contrast of the Si wheels you had earlier, but of coarse, that's just an opinion
First off to clear up any confusion you guys seem to have, I never claimed this was a CTR nor did i ever say it would be an EK9 clone. It clearly states in my thread title its an "EK9 WANNABE" meaning i know it will never really be a CTR just that my build will center around/closely resemble one and its stylings will play a role in how my build turns out in the end. Also i've only had this car for less than a year and builds take time/funds so sure i'd like to have genuine CTR parts and eventually i will assemble the parts i want but for now my goal is to mak this car as esthetically pleasing as possible for next years summer Import Alliance without going dead broke in the process.

@d15bvtechatch: Correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure the CTR has a B16b in it which is significantly different from the USDM spec B16a2 SI motor, so your conversion wont be complete after the the rhd swap. My motor is virtually the same as yours but at least mine is out of a JDM spec vehicle.

@Deetz:

Because i wasnt happy with the position of it, i had a tendancy of hitting my elbow when i would shift so i removed it

Firstly it was a motor with a ton of leaking, burning, and smoking issues. Secondly i didnt even have the slightest clue as to how many miles were on it. Thirdly i had the B16 sitting in my garage that was supposed to go to another project that unfortunately got scrapped. I had never owned a car with Vtec and had a friend that wanted my LS motor so i figured why not. Oh and as for your same speed comment; B18B1-140HP @ 6,300 rpm 121FTLB @ 5,200 rpm---B16A-160HP @ 7,600 rpm 112FTLB @ 7,000 rpm. I've got 20HP more and only 9FTLB of torque less, i can live without the torque.

It may not make much of a difference now but it will when i get cams, bigger throttle body, and go boost which i do plan on doing
Old 12-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you got a nice build going on man, people will always critique and say what THEY think you should be but in the end it's your car and what you do to it is all up to you. Just keep up the solid work dude

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Zeikial2000's EK9 wannabe build thread!!!!!