Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Z6 and Y8 swip swap Q...Searched, need more!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z6 and Y8 swip swap Q...Searched, need more!

well ive just been reading alot of topics from the search, but i still have some questions. I have the chance to get a complete Y8 engine and tranny, and im thikning about putting the head/IM on my Z6. I was under the impression that i could just put the head and IM on my block, and be done with it. But im starting to have concerns about what distributer to use. can i use the Y8, Z6, or do i need a different dizzy?

Also, using the Y8 head gasket, and head, what would be the final C/R?

And lastly, is this even worth it? Or should i just put on the Y8 IM with a teg TB and call it a night? thanks all

-Chris
Old 08-28-2003, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Z6 and Y8 swip swap Q...Searched, need more! (BlackFrog)

It depends on who you ask...

Some say the z6 head flows better... but putting the y8 head on will raise the compression so that is some gain right there...

And as far as headgaskets I believe (feel free to correct me if not) the z6 headgasket is thinner than the y8... which would bump the comp. even more...

If it were me I'd probobly decide which motor/tranns was in better condition and I'd keep or put that one in... if it's the z6 then I'd swap the IM and get a Bseries TB... match port it and put it on...

Then I'd dis-assemble the y8 motor and start building that in the garage (or living room).... or sell it to buy something else for the z6 motor.

Old 08-28-2003, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Z6 and Y8 swip swap Q...Searched, need more! (NonovUrbizniz)

I think the 3 layer Y8 headgasket is the thinnest and would bump up comp. a little. The Y8 has a smaller combustion camber resulting in higher comperssion. Like that of a GSR combustion camber. And about the dizzy, if you are running the 2 plug OBD1 set-up and using the Y8 head a dizzy of a non vtec OBD motor will work perfect..CX,LX,DX models. What year is the Y8? And the Y8 tranny is also stronger then the Z6 and all of 92-95's because of the use of soild steel shift forks used in the Y8's whereas the older ones had alumnium shfit forks. Hope this info helps out a little bit.

_Brandon_

Old 08-28-2003, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=1

http://www.knology.net/~jediklc/D.htm

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=603758

Go for it. Spade, Bauley and a few others really know there shiot. Check these threads out!

Y8 is actually the same thickness, just all metal. z6 has carbon instead of metal. A little wrong I believe but check out those threads!
Old 08-28-2003, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Z6 and Y8 swip swap Q...Searched, need more! (NonovUrbizniz)

the z6 headgasket used to be THICKER than the y8 one but now honda has updated the headgaskets and now they are both the SAME so it doesnt matter which one you use.

as far as the heads go i would just stick with the z6 head with y8 IM. i just put a z6 head on my y8 and although it lowered c/r it still kept the same amount of power because the head flows better. so with the y8 head you would raise the c/r but lose a little power as the y8 head is made for low-end power other than high-end power like the z6.

as far as the distributors go you will have to use the distributor for which ever head you use as the z6 and y8's are different. the internals are interchangeble though so if you decide to go with the y8 head just empty out your z6 dist. and put everything in the y8's casing so you can keep the same wiring to plug into the harness. even the cap and rotors are interchangeble

these are just my opinions so take them as you will but as the dist. answers go they are from personal experience of switching for y8 head to z6 head

EDIT: damn while i was writing this 2 people snuck in between haha
Old 08-29-2003, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Z6 and Y8 swip swap Q...Searched, need more! (cjames235)

thanks for the repolies guys...ive got some reading to do.

i dont know what year it is, but i am thinking about buying a Y8 engine and tranny for like 400....though it seems like a rip buying all that just for an intake mani, i know i could re-sell for what i paid.....so im considering doing the swap. thanks again.

-Chris