Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Z6 VTEC Solenoid questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 01:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z6 VTEC Solenoid questions...

Hey guys, I read that someone had cleaned their VTEC solenoid, not here on HT, and I was wondering is their some kind of screen or filter in the solenoid that may need to be cleaned once in awhile?

Also I'm not sure if the VTEC is actually engaging, if I were to unplug the solenoid to see if it's working or not and take the car for a "spirited" drive would it be fine? And lastly I noticed above 5k RPM my tachometer will skip/jump/bounce, whatever you want to call it, could that cause VTEC not to engage properly and what would cause this jumping?

Help a VTEC noob out :D

Edit: Also are there any tests I can do to see if the solenoid is functioning properly? I tried searching on here for one, and still am, but I can't find one.

Last edited by iCollectStraws; 02-02-2010 at 03:37 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Z6 VTEC Solenoid questions...

Im not for sure about the jumping and bouncing, I think that it may be a different problem but dont take my work for it. If vtec isnt engaging then your engine may run like crap once it hits that spot. So if its not engaging it "could" cause it to jump/ bounce but I have no idea as im here to learn as well. But there is a screen that is inside it that could get clogged up and stop it from engaging.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm...maybe I'll pull the solenoid off and give the screen a cleaning. Found out VTEC wasn't engaging cause it looks like I have a leaking Rear Main and the oil was a bit low, so I added and now it engages. Low oil pressure I guess.

Wish I could figure out why the RPMs bounce though above 5k, the engine doesn't stumble or sound like it's missing or anything, it's like the gauge has a mind of it's own.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:27 PM
Trial User

super late, but i’m also having the same problem. i was getting a code 4 - crank angle sensor. was told to try putting in a new dizzy to see if that fixes the problem. also another suggestion was that timing could be off by a click or something so check and make sure ur timing is correct.