Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Your Opinion on SHOW Cars and Body Mods on Civics vs. Functional Cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 07:04 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Your Opinion on SHOW Cars and Body Mods on Civics vs. Functional Cars

This is the Civic forum, and since I've seen many body mod and front end conversion topics lately I thought I'd get a scope of your opinions on SHOW cars in general and the subject of front end conversions, wide bodies, etc. These things are typically found on show cars.

My take on show cars and shows in general:

They SUCK.

Why?

Shows are won by doing what? Pleasing judges. So basically you win based on some person's or group's opinions, which can be swayed by various things. Shows have too much politics in them as far as who wins and loses goes, and that is just ******* lame IMO.

Most of the "good" show cars are tralier queens that never even get driven, so what is the point at all? It's like owning a 1/1 scale model IMO. I could give 2 ***** about who has the craziest body mods, chromed out suspension pieces, non tuned nor functional turbos, intercoolers with no turbo (like L.J Garcia's car), etc. because it serves no function other than pleasing JUDGES.

I'd rather build a nice looking FUNCTIONAL car that combines subtle looks with good speed and handling, because:

SPEED NEVER GOES OUT OF STYLE

Shows are all about what's "hot" and ****, so after a person spends all his or her money on the current trends to try and win a few shows, what happens when that trend is no longer "cool?" All these front end conversions, Altezza lights, etc. will be on the whole so ******* stupid later on to even those who love it all now, so what is the point of it all?

Where is the rush in winning a car show? Lap times and timeslips are indesputable - period. In racing even a lesser car could win due to driver SKILL, unlike car shows where usually the guy who spends the most money or gives the best head to judges wins.

I'll take a clean fast car any day over a princess show winner.

Would you show guys please explain that to me? Seriously, I just do not get it.

Don't tell me it's about having the cleanest car either, because I know plenty of clean-*** cars that would never be at shows nor win them. I am building a basically brand new 1992 CX that will be so clean you can eat off the interior floorpan, but it is not to win shows at all.

So what do you guys think? I'd like to see what you other Civic guys think, so let me know.

Later.

[Modified by B18C5-EH2, 11:25 AM 3/22/2002]
Old 03-22-2002, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Your Opinion on SHOW Cars and Body Mods on Civics vs. Functional Cars (B18C5-EH2)

To each their own. I will never build a show car and I think half of that **** is ugly. But who am I to talk ****. Car shows are fun to go to.
Old 03-22-2002, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Your Opinion on SHOW Cars and Body Mods on Civics vs. Functional Cars (B18C5-EH2)

Car shows SUCK!!!

Track Days RULE!!!!
Old 03-22-2002, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you...cars built for SHOW only eventually will go out of style. People build them for attention and if that's what they want to do, then that is their choice. I got drawn to the import scene because of how sweet some body kits look on cars....now I'm in it for speed and having a car that has CLASS.

Also, sometimes show cars usually get more unwanted attention (thieves) than cars that don't stick out like a sore thumb. This is not always the case, but it usually is.

I think people can do whatever they want to their cars....there are always going to be people who hate every "style" of car anyway. For instance, my girlfriend HATES hatchbacks ....but I love them!
Old 03-22-2002, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Your Opinion on SHOW Cars and Body Mods on Civics vs. Functional Cars (DevinD16)

Performance
Mild and/or functional asthetics
All show no go

But in the end to each his own. People around here are all about show and everyone is always telling me "you need some BIG rims" or "you need a body kit and custom paint." Then the arguments start and I'm the only one defending myself but hey I'm different, at least here I am
Old 03-22-2002, 07:24 AM
Trial User

I'll take a clean fast car any day over a princess show winner.
I'll take a dirty, fast car any day over a princess show winner. No, that's not right, I'd even take a dirty slow car over a show winner. Body kits make me sick - but I do have respect for people who do nice work, it's just not thing.

(edit) I may confuse people with that last statement, I have respect for the people who DO nice body work, not the people that drive the cars around.

[Modified by Phantom, 11:25 AM 3/22/2002]
Old 03-22-2002, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Your Opinion on SHOW Cars and Body Mods on Civics vs. Functional Cars (Trey)

Car shows SUCK!!!

Track Days RULE!!!!
said best right here. I dont care what people do with there time and money on there cars.
But its just bad enough that you have to worry about a stock looking car or hybird getting raped or
abused. So i wouldnt want to waste my time having to worry about a pretty boy car and if it will still
be there when i come out of the mall... If i wanted a show car, i would get something with the power already and half the looks.
then not have to worry about upgrading much. like a supra or rx7. why put all this money into a honda that will still look like **** and be slow as hell. the price some of these people pay to make there cars look all show could be spent on one of these cars that i mentioned.

do what ya like, but just not my style...
Old 03-22-2002, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Your Opinion on SHOW Cars and Body Mods on Civics vs. Functional Cars (VTECVillain)

yea your corret in saying that show are too politcal, but i don't think show cars suck, although trailer queens are kinda gay, you need these cars out there to draw attention (good and bad), and bring $$$ (respect/validating) our sport/hobby, there are functional based shows out ther i.e. showoff and the jdm classes are now coming to the east coast via hot import nights, and import expression. i'm def not into 20's, two foot widebody's and paint so carzy you can't look at it for more than a second, but it attracts more poeple and ideas in and some of the cars are really well built even if they are "ricey". but none the less i would rather have a clean racer than a widebody 20" ride........ they will learn
remember function never goes out of style... just my $.03
Old 03-22-2002, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree completely....like my sig says...
Old 03-22-2002, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Your Opinion on SHOW Cars and Body Mods on Civics vs. Functional Cars (dohcsideSi)

Interesting subject......

Well, here goes ...

I have never been in a show. Not even once. Not that I would never do it. I just haven't. I guess if someone ws going to show their car and asked me to go and show mine, I might. Just to go and have fun maybe. Then again, I dunno if it's fun or not... never been to one.

I'm guessing that the reason for SOME people wanting to show their cars is.... pride. They love their cars and like the recognition of winning over judges, audiences, etc. I'm sure a show can't be totally boring.

At the same time, in all the magazines, when they are at shows. The majority of the pics of the cars I have seen, in my PERSONAL opinion are ugly. Also, I don't say that very often. I don't like to call peoples cars ugly but, it's the truth. Wings on top of wings on top of stickers is what seems to be winning these shows. Hey, if that's your bag, then that's your bag. Not my style, no harm done.

This is more or less how I feel ......

Race =
Looking Good =
Stickers, 747 Wings, and Chrome Taillights =
All Show No Go = Your decision, mine is a

There is one thing WIDELY Expressed here on H-T that I DISAGREE with. That is when people say things like, "What does that oil cap do for you?" "How fast does (Insert Item Here) make your car go?" IMO, I don't seeing ANYTHING wrong with LOOKING good as long as your GOING good. Does having a Honda mean that you have to work on performance and LOOK like crap? What is the logic in this? I don't get it but, hey..... Oh well

I don't think someone needs a performance minded reason to buy every single part they buy. What if their car is already fast and they just want to make it look nice too? This is nothing personal about me, I do what I want to my car because I like it Ijust think it's a bit mean when people post pics of their cars and people bark at them wondering why they bought a Spoon Strut Bar when the could have bought the Le Es Crap Strut Bar for less. Some people don't mind spending more.

Me personally.... I think it lies more in the lines of, the individual not being able to get everything they want so, in turn, they are unhappy when the see others getting nice things.....

IMO this is THE BIGGEST

Oh, BTW JDM Rules JK LOL

Miguel

[Modified by SIINSI, 9:20 AM 3/22/2002]
Old 03-22-2002, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Your Opinion on SHOW Cars and Body Mods on Civics vs. Functional Cars (SIINSI)

well said miguel.
Old 03-22-2002, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Your Opinion on SHOW Cars and Body Mods on Civics vs. Functional Cars (WAFFLES)

I think it's hilarious to have a beater that kicks ***!

I wear my cone scars proudly
Old 03-22-2002, 10:44 AM

I would like my car to be "show" and go at the same time. I guess it depends on how you define "show" (does it mean the car is not regularly driven?), but I would like to have the eye-catching looks as well as the timeslips. I will say that having show with no speed sucks (I know this personally ) but at least I know my role and don't dick around with people on the streets like I have something. Half the fun of having a Ferrari would be the "show" part; am I wrong?

[Modified by BrokenHead, 7:44 PM 3/22/2002]

[Modified by BrokenHead, 7:45 PM 3/22/2002]
Old 03-22-2002, 11:07 AM

well, i have never been into wild body kits, or trailer queen chromed engine bay cars...i appreciate simple styles that bring the cars natural lines out. i will admit, i have seen ONE or TWO civics or integras that have been show cars that i have liked...but theres only been a few. out here in so cal, i see a lot of behind the scenes **** of these so called "show cars". i remember seeing most of those guys running around the streets with cracked bumpers, dirty *** interior, etc. then when it comes time for the shows, everything gets repainted, cleaned...etc.

my point is this...i see show cars as non-functional, and when they do ride around on the streets they get messed up really easy, and most people leave them that way. which kind of defeats the purpose of fixing your car up right?

when i see a nice car, (my opinion of one) like a cleanly built civic hatch, coupe, or even an integra done right...theres multiple modifications done to the car that are not only heavily functional, but theres a few cosmetic mods, that honestly are even sometimes functional. ie: front lips, air dams, etc. i see these cars for more of what theyre made for, driving. im a daily driver guy...i need to get to work and school...so every day my race consist of freeway onramps, or weaving through traffic at 80mph. and if i do decide to one day take up racing of any kind, then my vehicle is more suited for that.

bottom line, i guess its just driver preference. i just wish if someone was going to build a show car for whatever their personal reasons may be, they keep them off the streets...i honestly have similar feelings towards people who buy brand new cars, and gut the entire interior out, and weld in roll cages, and drive around the streets with a straight pipe. its really hard to explain how i feel, i guess i have anger towards everyone...i need some therapy
Old 03-22-2002, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Your Opinion on SHOW Cars and Body Mods on Civics vs. Functional Cars (ThunderLipps)

"I are ******* kidding?" "I'm not a carshow ***"

Those were my responses when asked to put my hatch ina show, to 'represent'.

Suprdave
Old 03-22-2002, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Your Opinion on SHOW Cars and Body Mods on Civics vs. Functional Cars

"Show"

Or....

"Go"

Old 03-22-2002, 12:25 PM

Way before I ever got into the whole speed and honda thing, I was into minitrucks and showing, and I for one can say it does get boring, but then again, minitrucks were not about big body kits and wings that make them look fast or whatever. The shows were fun, at least the ones I attended, but it got old, and after my feature was shot, i got rid of the truck, it was nice to have magazine coverage and all that, but..... my truck i hardly ever drove, i was always driving my beater 93 civic coupe. Needless to say, my love for cars or trucks or whatever you want to call it, kept going except in a new passion, and that was performance, was it me growing up that did this, or since ive always liked performance a little before, and now its just coming out, i cant explain. But that beater civic is still my beater civic, but its not that slow 1.5 dx that could barely pull its own weight. I guess what I'm trying to say overall, is that these show people come and go, all my friends I showed with, we had fun, but it got old. Driving my car or going to the track has not gotten old so far, and I dont think it ever will, because like Tom said (B18C5-EH2) the shows were about impressing judges and people, timeslips and track times are no arguable, and just the joy of driving is more pleasurable than sitting beside your car at some show. I also think some of these show cars are just way out of hand with the things they are doing now, its way out of hand imo. From somebody thats been in the show scene.... overall, its political and crap, I give it a I'm happy were im at, driving my beat up muddy dx civic with a swap... performance and driving All that may be vague and confusing, but sorry, its just my opinion.
Old 03-22-2002, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Your Opinion on SHOW Cars and Body Mods on Civics vs. Functional Cars (DOHC93DxCoupe)

These are two similar, yet very different worlds.

I don't see what the big ******* deal is.

These guys put just as much blood, sweat, and money into their cars as we do. It's a different state of mind that they're in...a more creative state. Leave 'em alone. They do nothing to us. It's the ricers we need to hate and the people that don't go about their show cars the right way.
Old 03-22-2002, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Your Opinion on SHOW Cars and Body Mods on Civics vs. Functional Cars (hybridreams)

These are two similar, yet very different worlds.

I don't see what the big ******* deal is.

These guys put just as much blood, sweat, and money into their cars as we do. It's a different state of mind that they're in...a more creative state. Leave 'em alone. They do nothing to us. It's the ricers we need to hate and the people that don't go about their show cars the right way.

^^

Shows are fun! Races are fun!

Let's all get along, there are tasteful, well-built show cars as well as the same for race-oriented cars.

It's when the ricers get into it when we need to start laughing our asses of and handing out YCIU tickets (your car is ugly)

Show cars
Race cars
Old 03-22-2002, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i basically go to car shows to score on some chicks!
performance all the way!!! the only car shows i go to is SEMA and NOPI
Old 03-22-2002, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Your Opinion on SHOW Cars and Body Mods on Civics vs. Functional Cars (VTEC_boi)

I can appreciate the amount of work that goes into a well done show car, but my brain cannot comprehend putting that much time and money into a car and not enjoying it on the street.

Having a "show quaility" street car is one thing, but building a car just to have ride on a trailer from show to show is stupid, IMO.

[Modified by Slopoke, 4:10 PM 3/22/2002]
Old 03-22-2002, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Your Opinion on SHOW Cars and Body Mods on Civics vs. Functional Cars (Slopoke)

whats worse then show cars..is people who build their cars with circuit parts..but the cars only see the 1320..."like cleats on the basketball court"//
Old 03-23-2002, 12:30 AM

Default Re: Your Opinion on SHOW Cars and Body Mods on Civics vs. Functional Cars (JaeOne3345)

I personally want my car to be show and go.. i don't wanna just drive a fast beater... i think people should just worry less about what other people are into.. and concentrate on their own cars.. im sure a huge majority of the CLEAN LOOKING sleeper cars were into the wild kits sometime or another.. as long as it looks good , then is good to go... u can make it as fast as you want or as slow as you want.. if speed was the only thing that counted then all those people though bought a bmw 3 series should have spent their money on a 92 cx, and spend the money on a turbo h22.. to sum it up is your money do as you wish!
Old 03-23-2002, 01:15 AM
B18C-EJ1

Default Re: Your Opinion on SHOW Cars and Body Mods on Civics vs. Functional Cars (Trey)

Car shows SUCK!!!

Track Days RULE!!!!
Hell YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The thing that kills me, and I see it constantly, is the whole "I got JDM ish" crap.

Have any of these people ever been to JDM land? Because if you had, you'd notice that most JDM racer cars (street racing scene) are completely fucked up. I mean out there, battle scars are a sign of strength!! Rarely do you see a S13/14, or ITR, or R32 that is show quality. And the ones that are show quality, don't see much of the roads in JDM land.

Just plain comedy to me.
Old 03-23-2002, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car shows SUCK!!!

Track Days RULE!!!!
hahahhaaaaaaa I am with TREY on that one, after a day at Pocono with a track school, I am NEVER going to like a show-only car, EVER AGAIN. I had a past that included 18" tantrums on my Integra sedan, and the power of speed has me buying a second car.. a 92 CX, now a third car too.. a 93 CX! LOL

Quick Reply: Your Opinion on SHOW Cars and Body Mods on Civics vs. Functional Cars