Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Your impressions of Greddy Turbo'd 6th gen civics

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 12:31 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your impressions of Greddy Turbo'd 6th gen civics

I just finished paying off my 99 Ex coupe 5spd and plan on keeping it for like I finish college. But I was planning on going with a greddy kit with IC and run about 7 pounds of boost. I would be happy with a mid 14 second car, which im pretty sure that will get me their. A swap is out of the question because a legit swap would cost more that the greddy kit. So far I got my suspension done with springs, shocks, strut bars, and 95 GSR rims on Kumho tires.

I was wonderin if u guys think the cars are pretty quick for regular street driving? What is your impressions of it. Ive never driven in one yet. Like I said, Id be happy with a consistent mid 14 second car on street tires. How do they hold up on the street against other cars. Granted I know they wont be dominating everything. I would only get a swap if I really wanted to go faster than that. Let me know yourwhat u think of them.
Old 06-01-2002, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Your impressions of Greddy Turbo'd 6th gen civics (Ales)

I just finished paying off my 99 Ex coupe 5spd and plan on keeping it for like I finish college. But I was planning on going with a greddy kit with IC and run about 7 pounds of boost. I would be happy with a mid 14 second car, which im pretty sure that will get me their. A swap is out of the question because a legit swap would cost more that the greddy kit. So far I got my suspension done with springs, shocks, strut bars, and 95 GSR rims on Kumho tires.

I was wonderin if u guys think the cars are pretty quick for regular street driving? What is your impressions of it. Ive never driven in one yet. Like I said, Id be happy with a consistent mid 14 second car on street tires. How do they hold up on the street against other cars. Granted I know they wont be dominating everything. I would only get a swap if I really wanted to go faster than that. Let me know yourwhat u think of them.
its gonna take more than just the greddy kit at 7psi to get u to the low-mid 14's on that sohc motor.

[Modified by redteg1, 9:45 PM 6/1/2002]
Old 06-01-2002, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Your impressions of Greddy Turbo'd 6th gen civics (redteg1)

save your money. the one car i've seen with that kit was soooo slow. just my .02
Old 06-01-2002, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Your impressions of Greddy Turbo'd 6th gen civics (broke1)

I would say be patient and SAVE your money for a swap..
Old 06-01-2002, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out this board for some more encouraging info: http://pub19.ezboard.com/fturbod16forumturbod16

People have actually gotten results from a d16, and yes, they have run mid 14's to say the least. The rest is up to you to decide.
Old 06-01-2002, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Your impressions of Greddy Turbo'd 6th gen civics (piscorpio)

Turbocharging a SOHC is a good way to go, especially considering the price of a swap versus the GReddy kit. Check out that board that piscorpio posted a link to. Don't be discouraged by people who jump all over the swap bandwagon. Also talk to VTC_CiViC who has a turbocharged D16.

Here's another link for you:

http://www.indysol.com/resource/basicturbo.html

Research it all very thoroughly, choose your parts carefully, and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Old 06-01-2002, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech User

Look. Greddy kit, i/c, bigger fuel pump, bigger injectors, boost control, and a INLINE PRO head gasket, you will run high 13's. All of this stuff is not that much money.

255 lph fuel pump $170
550 injectors maybe 310 injectors $200
boostcontrol ranges from $150-$500
headgasket $250 with this head gasket you could run 10-12 psi safly

see another $500 could get you in 13's maybe mid 13's. Go with the greddy kit if you cant afford the swap. I personaly have seen 13.3 with this setup on street tires a few years ago. good luck man.
Old 06-01-2002, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Your impressions of Greddy Turbo'd 6th gen civics (jdmimports79)

has anyone thought of building up an SOHC - i mean they are a dime a dozen with hybrids and what not. Buy one, some low comp pistons, fuel delivery, hondata, custom turbo, etc. Just tossing that idea around for a friend of mine - commentS?
Old 06-01-2002, 05:09 PM

how about you sell your civic and buy mine!

I turbocharged my 97 civic EX. It is a blast. Sure, it's not the fastest car in the world, but it still scares the hell out of the people on the road. It's reliable, it's daily driven, it's fun, it's turbo. I am only running 5.5 psi and it scoots.

It's really your decision, but if you decide to turbocharge it, pick the Greddy kit. I get full boost at 3000 rpm. The car was perfect for autocross.

take care, drive safe,

aj
Old 06-01-2002, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Your impressions of Greddy Turbo'd 6th gen civics (ajn)

See, now this is a bit more of a well rounded discussion, just what I like to see. If you want an engine in your Civic that makes the sky the limit, then of course you should swap. If you are happy with 200hp to the wheels and low 14's, then a turbo, a d16, some fuel system extras, and a lot of work will net you some decent results....judging by the experience of others of course.
Old 06-01-2002, 07:52 PM
New User

Default Re: Your impressions of Greddy Turbo'd 6th gen civics (PatrickEwing)

Modding a SOHC = Waste of money
bs!
Old 06-01-2002, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Your impressions of Greddy Turbo'd 6th gen civics (pLaYbOi)

bs!
no its not
for the 3000$ he is gonna spend he can get a b18c and go run 14's all day long
Old 06-01-2002, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Your impressions of Greddy Turbo'd 6th gen civics (KAMiN)

Since when were B18C's $3000? Turbocharging a D16 is a great idea. Not only can you run 10psi no problem with the right tuning, they are a blast to drive. A Greddy kit is 1500 plus another 1500 in upgrades and your golden. A B18C is about 3500 with NO boltons, I/H/E costs another 1200+ which brings the total up to about $4700. Add another $500 if you can't put it in yourself and your up past $5000. A turboed D16 at 10psi will eat up a B18C'd 6th gen with bolt-ons.
Old 06-01-2002, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Your impressions of Greddy Turbo'd 6th gen civics (4drGSR)

Boosting a SOHC is a great idea no matter what anyone says. Then again, it works both ways. A brand new GReddy kit w/o IC and BOV is $1300. Why so cheap, because they dont come with larger injectors. Why? Because the stock SOHC engine is well capible of handling it without major modifications.. Greddy's on SOHC's are well capible of 14's and 13's with few upgrades and a good driver. now if you had a B16, it still cant even run that fast unless you got some good mods. Ofcourse, they say what a SOHC can do, a DOHC can do better..True..but for the amount of money to spend, I'd rather have a boosted SOHC over an N/A DOHC anyday. It's fun...it sounds hella mean..and its' cheap for the amount of power you gain. GReddy all the way!
Old 06-01-2002, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Your impressions of Greddy Turbo'd 6th gen civics (J-MiGiRL702)

You've basically answered your own questions. You'll be faster, but definately not the fastest. For me, it was worth it, but you're going to spend a lot more money than you think, its not called the darkside for nothing. Being worth it is really your own personal preference.
Old 06-02-2002, 09:05 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Your impressions of Greddy Turbo'd 6th gen civics (Trac226)

Yes, see i would be happy with mid 14's. Like I said before, a legit 99+ B18C will cost about 3500-4000 without install and bolt ons that I will need to run in the 14's. if I wanted a 12 or consistent low 13 second car, then I would consider it, but for the 14 second range, a greddy kit is a better value.

But besides this, I am wonderin how quick u guys think these cars are? How they drive and perform on the street. The reason why Im askin is because the only cars Ive driven is 15 second cars and once a C5 corvette. So Im not sure of the quickness of a basic turbo'd civic.
Old 06-02-2002, 10:29 AM
New User

The D16 is a very capable platform from which to start. I have a Greddy kit with eclipse intercooler on my 97 EX runnin 7-8psi and it is quick. It by no means is the fastest car out there but that wasn't my objective. It makes the car much more fun to drive. Another option you might want to consider is the Apex'i kit. I've heard some great things about it. A bit more expensive then the Greddy but a larger ball-bearing turbo!
Old 06-02-2002, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Your impressions of Greddy Turbo'd 6th gen civics (KAMiN)

bs!
no its not
for the 3000$ he is gonna spend he can get a b18c and go run 14's all day long
I'm missing a few points here:

1). It's getting rather hard to find B18Cs for $3000. Plus there's the install.

2). Without I/H/E it's neigh impossible to run 14s in a 6th Gen EX. Even with such basic mods, mid to low 14s (fairly easy times to net with a turbo) will not come easily. And then you're adding $1000-$1500 to that optimistic $3000 estimate.

One more thing. I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, but a turbocharged SOHC has much more potential for the money than a normally aspirated DOHC. With the SOHC, there are plenty of ways of making power that aren't going to be as expensive as doing the same thing with the DOHC. Since you're already boosted, you can always raise the psi a little more, do some more tuning, etc. to make power. With the B-series, you'll either have to get into all-motor work or forced induction...either one is not cheap.

Plus I think having a turbocharged D16 is a bit cooler than "just being another swap".
Old 06-02-2002, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Your impressions of Greddy Turbo'd 6th gen civics (HENRY)

I saw a 99 sedan ex running 12.8 at the track last weekend. he had a custom t3/t4 at I think 9psi maybe 12 but below 13 for sohc is crazy.

I'm considering the greddy kit for my car. $1500 is much cheaper than any swap out there. also if you ever do swap you'll just need new plumbing to turbo it.
Old 06-03-2002, 05:45 AM

Default Re: Your impressions of Greddy Turbo'd 6th gen civics (skubb)

Does anybody have any experience with the Drag3 kits?
Old 06-03-2002, 05:57 AM

Default Re: Your impressions of Greddy Turbo'd 6th gen civics (jstock107)

I found another site about the D-series engine that I found quite helpful. I think a couple of the guys on H-T post over there as well, Mista Bone comes to mind first and foremost.

They have good information on turbo or going N/A

http://pub34.ezboard.com/bhondadseries
Old 06-03-2002, 06:17 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Your impressions of Greddy Turbo'd 6th gen civics (inigo9910)

First of all, you guys saying stuff about the "engine swap bandwagon" need to chill.

If you pull out tha card, then what about the HONDA bandwagon then?

Seriously, although I have a swap and I'd recommend a swap over a boosted single cam overall, I will not go as far to say that modding a SOHC is a waste of time nor money.

I saw a boosted D16Z6 in a full interior Ex coupe complete with amps and all running 13.4 all day long at the strip last weekend on drag radials, not full slicks.

My ITR swapped stripped hatch was running 13.3 and 13.4 on M/T 20'' baby slicks.

Impressive if you ask me, but his turbo kit was not the run of the mill set-up and the motor was built.

Old 06-03-2002, 07:34 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Your impressions of Greddy Turbo'd 6th gen civics (B18C5-EH2)

One thing that some are not considering is the torque that a greddy turbo'd sohc makes. Ive seen a few dyno's with them making like 170+ WTQ. A gsr swap is not gonna make that much torque. Granted, if u throw a turbo it on the GSR, it will, but at that point, It is going way past my budget. For me, a Greddy or similar kit will be good enough to get me where I want, no swap.

So with that, anyone else have any more comments of how they perform on the street.

Thanks for the info btw fellas.

BTW, I have been checking out the turbo D16 forum for a while, but that site has way to many pop up adds that just slow down my already slow computer. I think one pops up every time u look into a new thread. Very Good site though.
Old 06-03-2002, 08:23 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Let me ask you something though:

What are you going to do with 170ft/lbs. of torque on street tires?

I had a friend with a turbo'd LS motor and he dynoed 176whp and 172ft/lbs. of torque. This was an LS motor on 6psi.

His wheels would simply boil when applying near full throttle on street tires - by that time I was LONG gone with my NA DOHC motor.

...Just giving you a different angle.

BTW: His car really shined on the freeway though, but then again this was an LS turbo, not a SOHC turbo.

Old 06-03-2002, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Your impressions of Greddy Turbo'd 6th gen civics (B18C5-EH2)

I met a guy this weekend that was running 13.4 in a 5th gen coupe on a turboed ex motor. i have no idea what kit he had but he said it was fully built. Was the car you saw a pink one? I didnt get to see that particular car myself but Im sure the guy had it. you should have me this guys crew. Turboed lime green integra w/ a swapped gsr engine i believe, orange integara that looked sweet, met me in an ek w/ a type r swap. Get to the guys buds house and hes swapping in a LS into a 6th gen coupe. 3 wrecked integras behind the house which provided for my brake swap. These guys were also trying to sell a drag kit, an H22 w/ tons of spare parts, and a 94-95 stock looking GSR. They were definately doing it the way I would like to. Cool guys w/ great rides.

Quick Reply: Your impressions of Greddy Turbo'd 6th gen civics