Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

You think I need a new Flywheel???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You think I need a new Flywheel???

So I just got done with this stupid wiring problem I had to finish my mini me swap (D15B7/Z6 head) Next on my list was to put in a new clutch, throw out bearing and pilot bearing. Everything was going fine no problems. Until I got to the part where I needed to take out my pilot bearing and replace it with the new one.

I was trying to be lazy and not take the flywheel off by using the grease trick to get it out. Well after a couple hits I thought the bearing had moved, but what actually happened was the grease had pushed the plastic seal, in between the inner and outer race, out but the rest of the bearing had not moved at all. So after a few minutes of wondering how the hell that happened (which included a whole lot of swearing) I came to the conclusion that I need to take off my flywheel and hit it out from the back.

So no big deal took my flywheel off, flipped it over, grabbed a big socket put it over the back of the bearing and swung away. Everything sounds and feels normal once it was flush with the back of the flywheel I realized my socket was a touch big so I grabbed a smaller one and a couple hits later the bearing was laying on my table. Flipped my flywheel back over and noticed that something didn't look right.
Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: You think I need a new Flywheel???

just get a new one they are 60 bucks at auto zone
Old 01-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

already got it just can't believe that happened
Old 01-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

better to avoid shortcuts in serious repairs like this u always have to pull the flywheel in hondas for the pilot cause of that lip
Old 01-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the cost, it makes more sense to get a new flywheel than resurface sometimes. Shops around here have at least a 2 week turnaround in their dead time. Somehow winter is part of their busy time, but I went and got work done in summer and it was their busy time also. idk how that works.

**** happens, just part of having a car. I was just going to replace my upper ball joints once, and ended up doing uppers, lowers, tie rod ends, axles, and I think something else also. Should have been like $50, ended up being like $400 I swear.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sorta2
already got it just can't believe that happened
What's not to believe? You hit the bearing from the wrong side and broke the lip off the hole. Not to be a dick or anything but if you look at it at all it's pretty obvious there is a lip on one side and needs to be tapped out from that side.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
What's not to believe? You hit the bearing from the wrong side and broke the lip off the hole. Not to be a dick or anything but if you look at it at all it's pretty obvious there is a lip on one side and needs to be tapped out from that side.
I just thought I was done with the part of my life where I do stupid **** without thinking about it. Its been a while since I've done a Honda clutch, seems I'm always helping one of my friends with their stuff. So when it came to working on my own car I went into auto pilot and turned my brain off.

Last edited by sorta2; 01-14-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: spelling