Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Yonaka Exhaust - Write Up 2000 EX EJ8

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yonaka Exhaust - Write Up 2000 EX EJ8

First off, it's been ions since i worked on a Honda so i started this project on a Honda Civic 2000 EX last year and have been working on it as I have time between work and the kids. Please be easy as this is my first write up on HT. Other than that, love all the research on HT but didn't find anything on this cat back exhaust system by Yonaka.

For months I took the time to read up on Yonaka and things pointed out in a positive direction. I order through a website which indicated that this is exhaust system would fit 92-00 Civic EG/EK 2-4 dr. The box arrive slightly beat up but parts were bubble wrapped and everything seemed to be in order. On April 6th I decided to call a good friend and get our hands dirty for once and bring out the tools.

We installed the system and ended up taking it off 3x because the exhaust tip kept pointing to the right. As were looking at the system as a whole, the two hangers before the resonator were sitting in-correctly for my car so we decided to leave the rubber hanger off in two places (Before the resonator and the other above bend before the muffler and decided to wait till Monday (Today) to bring it to a muffler shop to adjust and ensure things and tightened up.

Modification to the Yonaka Exhaust System:
Headed down to A & A Muffler in Poway San Diego with ***** the owner to see what he can do. After inspecting to see were things were going. First off during our initial installation on Saturday, we had to push the exhaust system forward about 1" just bolt up. By doing that everything shifted. ***** cut off the two hangers in front of the resonators and remounted the hanger so it would hang perfect and centered. So we also needed an extension which is shown in the picture right after the resonator roughly around 1-2". Now that everything was hanging centered with no vibrations or metal hitting each other, the last was the tip. If you were to look at the way the tip was pointing, it would be to the right on most vehicles and sure enough no matter how centered the exhaust was, the tip would still point to the right. Originally we were going to put a notch in the pipe and bend it to the left and weld. But since this was stainless steel, we thought of just heating that tip pipe close to the muffler at the base and placed a big pipe into the tip to bend it towards the left. And, success! Looks perfect : )

Overall, it took about an hour and half to situate the exhaust system. $60 labor + $239 for Yonaka Exhaust System = $299

Before I forget, ***** mentioned in his years of installing exhaust system that it's rare to find one that sits perfect out of the box. I know some fellow HTs have mentioned that they had ease of installation on some well known exhaust systems BUT I wanted to give this one a try since my car is a DD.

Enjoy! Mahalo from San Diego : )

PS. Don't bang on the content, I'm typing this while at work and didn't have time to double check wording.

Sounds Video Can be found at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW7O8...ature=youtu.be
Attached Images   

Last edited by teamdeguzman; 04-08-2013 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Added Vid
Old 04-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Yonaka Exhaust - Write Up 2000 EX EJ8

Post a video of what it sounds like. Yonaka makes some really shitty products, namely their gaskets (I'm not crapping on your exhaust, yet ). I'm actually surprised at how well the welds and bends look.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey EJ8_Man - I'll work on seeing if i can get a vid today. I can tell you I was pretty impressed with the sound. As for other Yonaka products, I'm not too sure about the rest of their product line.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EJ8_Man
Post a video of what it sounds like. Yonaka makes some really shitty products, namely their gaskets (I'm not crapping on your exhaust, yet ). I'm actually surprised at how well the welds and bends look.
Added Sound Vid, the link is in the post right above the pictures. Should be a youtube link. Let me know what you think : )
Old 04-08-2013, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How do you like it? I'm seriously considering getting one, I'd rather save the $400 if I can and not get the Apexi WSII. Not sure why it's so much more, guess it's just the quality of the craftsmanship. Is it really "$400 better" though, idk. Let us know how you like it!
Old 04-08-2013, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not bad sounding, I wouldn't run that exhaust without a built motor to justify the noise But that's just me
Old 04-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by datbumper
How do you like it? I'm seriously considering getting one, I'd rather save the $400 if I can and not get the Apexi WSII. Not sure why it's so much more, guess it's just the quality of the craftsmanship. Is it really "$400 better" though, idk. Let us know how you like it!
Hey datbumper! So far I like the sound. Upon initial start up I was really surprised on how it sounded, more like a humming noise. Moving from gear to gear on the streets was totally fine, in fact past a few cops today. Moments ago I took it on the freeway and cruising at 80-100mph almost felt like I didn't have an exhaust on. The quality is good, however, just my .02 cents into it. I replaced the bolts from HD, 2 past the resonator, the other 2 on the s-pipe. They were 1/2" x 1 1/2" along with the nut and a lock washer (super cheap, and, don't recommend going to auto zone for these bolts. you'll end up paying $3.99 a bolt and some extra $$ for nuts) which hugged the diameter of the bolt settings along with making the holes a little bigger with the flange gaskets. Torqued down to 28lbs. The craftsmanship overall was good along with some minor adjustments to be prepared for. My buddy has the WSII and it's a great exhaust. Comparably, it depends on whats your budget. Which ever you decide, just make sure to have a few things prepped up before hand. This is another reason i did the write up!
Old 04-08-2013, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EJ8_Man
Not bad sounding, I wouldn't run that exhaust without a built motor to justify the noise But that's just me
I agree!! I've started on my suspension all around and good to go there. Started working on tuning the suspension over time to handle the roads in San Diego along. Next......motor swap! All things in preparation. I do have other hobbies that keep me busy traveling so I figured Honda's are perfect for work in progress. Trust me, back in the late 80's early 90's we had a ton of fun on the streets. Now, just enjoying my EJ8 build as it's only been a year and a half since I initially picked it up : )
Old 04-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a apexi N1 catback and muffler i paid 300 for 5 years ago for my RSX Type S and its already rusted and rotted out by the muffler and has been patched a few times already. Apexi exhaust are wayyy over rated JUNK and over priced! The best exhaust ive owned was my HKS Hi-Power exhaust which the whole exhaust system was powder coated and ive had the exhaust for over 10 years and it has yet to rust or rot out ANYWHERE... I just recently got a yonaka stage 3 clutch and im way more impressed with it then any xtd or F1 clutch.. my stage 3 xtd clutch would slip shifting between gears running it hard well after the 500mile break in period. it slipped for the first 3k miles i put on the clutch before it went away. my stage 3 yonaka clutch has not slipped one bit even through out the break in period with the same if not more power then before..... I find yonaka products a step higher then many china products....
Old 04-08-2013, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Couldn't find a review on HT for Yonaka WS-II??? Weird!!!

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...yonaka+integra
Old 04-08-2013, 10:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by apexi_rsx
[malformed ramble]
What the hell are you rambling on about? Of course something powder coated didn't rust. XTD and F1 are both **** clutches to begin with, and if you were slipping it during the break in, you were breaking it in wrong and glazed it, thus why it was slipping.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by speedjunkie_g35
Couldn't find a review on HT for Yonaka WS-II??? Weird!!!

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...yonaka+integra
Hey speedjunkie_g35: I actually did a lot of reading and found the yonaka threads. The one thing that I never found good answers for we're fitment onto an EJ8. Thought a write up would be called for.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i normal drove the clutch well over the 500 mile break in and it still slipped.XTD is just a cheap clutch and i got what i paid for. the yonaka stage 3 pressure plate is definately stiffer then the XTD.. i was noting for a quality exhaust such as apexi is not all that great... i find them in the catagory of skunk2... they used to advertise alot over other companies and the quality of their product is just Average. buying a cheaper knock off exhaust id recomend before buying a exspensive apexi exhaust...
Old 04-09-2013, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wish my WS2 tucked into the tunnel like that.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by teamdeguzman
Hey speedjunkie_g35: I actually did a lot of reading and found the yonaka threads. The one thing that I never found good answers for we're fitment onto an EJ8. Thought a write up would be called for.
It just causes clutter. This thread needs to be merged into the one I linked so all the info is in one spot rather 10 different places.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It sounds clean.

Good job.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Clutter? You serious? So you're saying there should only be ONE review for this product?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No I am saying there should be one thread for everyone to put their review and most have been doing that! A one stop shop. Would you rather have to look in 10 different threads to find reviews for one item or one thread with many reviews???

I own a Yonaka WS-II exhaust and i love it!!! I have modded mine and removed the tip which caused a annoying buzz. Went away with a smaller tip. Added a 24" resonator to get it even more quite. You cant even tell my car is running at idle. All that is in the thread I linked with a video clip along with everybody else's experience.

Last edited by speedjunkie_g35; 04-09-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:02 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by datbumper
Clutter? You serious? So you're saying there should only be ONE review for this product?
Should only be one exhaust thread PERIOD.