Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Yet another EK build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another EK build thread

Hey y'all, I just picked up a 1998 Civic Ex Vtech. I've been driving lifted trucks my whole life, but with the a-hole we call President, I had to pick up a gas saver. Well despite hating on the "ricer" scene my whole life I have actually come to like the lowered JDM and DTM scene. So with that said, I'm going to start a build thread for it nicknamed "Project Stormtrooper" (because I've come to the darkside so to speak lol). I don't really have any intentions of dragging it, stancing it, or anything like that. I just want to make it as clean looking as possible. Mostly all OEM (si/type R) exterior accessories, mild engine mods, small but powerful system, and plasti dip it matte white. Possibly with a matte black roof, wheels, and lip kit.

Here's some info on the car and what came on it:
1998 Ek EX Vtech 178,XXX
16x8 Primax 10 spoke wheels
BFG G-Force sport tires 206/45r16
Short Shifter (came with the car so Idk the brand)

So far my plans are to add:
Lowering springs (skunk2 2.5 front, 2.0 rear)
Magnaflow Axle Back Exhaust (full stainless steel tubing with resonator later)
EBay headers
Si lip kit (front and rear)
Yellow fogs
Si grille
Black housing head lights with white 8k hids)
Si tail lights
Si oem wing

I would love any input regarding tips, advice, styling opinions etc. Keep in mind I'm new to the scene so take it easy while I learn the ropes. I will be posting pics here when I can.

Thanks in advance!
MXJ
Old 02-19-2013, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Yet another EK build thread

how I bought it
Old 02-19-2013, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ditch those wheels when you get a chance and pick up some xxr 522s 16x8 or 15x8 what ever you desire with a +20 or +25 offset on some Dunlop dirreza tires and you'll be set
Old 02-19-2013, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks good man, sir lip and some decent coilovers and it would look great. Seems like a clean start, good luck.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys. I'm looking at XXR 531's chromium finish. 16x8 +20.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lowering springs installed. Alignment coming soon

Old 02-19-2013, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

black slip streams and a slam with a lip kit would make it look killer dude!
Old 02-19-2013, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice EJ8 with the D16Y8 VTEC motor. If it's not a show car you don't need 8k HID. 4300k gives the most light output. Also, expect to get pulled over with a non-retrofit headlight and HID lights as you will be blinding oncoming drivers.

Glad you came over to this side. Before you do anything, read about everything you want to do. It's all been covered. Unless your exhaust manifold is cracked, or dented bad you don't need to replace it. Bolt ons dont add power to these motors.

A SRI, or CAI will increase MPG and throttle response. Before you put money into modifications, start with replacing all the fluids, belts/hoses as they are aged. Look for any small oil leaks. These cars have a lot of seals that with age dryout and shrink. They are cheap and easy to fix.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motoxjunky
So far my plans are to add:
Lowering springs (skunk2 2.5 front, 2.0 rear)
Magnaflow Axle Back Exhaust (full stainless steel tubing with resonator later)
EBay headers
Si lip kit (front and rear)
Yellow fogs
Si grille
Black housing head lights with white 8k hids)
Si tail lights
Si oem wing

Lowering springs: the shocks would need to be upgraded, it's best to knock things out at once and get a new coilover system. The typical 'Honda-tech' kit would be Koni/GC , which may cost up to $800.

Magnaflow exhaust: Exhaust does nothing to stock NA D-series Civic's other than noise, will be a waste of cash unless you like the noise and look.

EBay Headers: Chances are they may crack due to the poor material (according to many other members)

SI Lip kit: SI Lip kit's wont fit on your 96-98 unless you convert the rear bumper and the whole front (hood, headlights, fenders, bumper)

Yellow fogs: will need to get the square 96-98 fogs not the 99-00 unless you do the front-end conversion. (As pictured below on 96-98 CTR lip)

SI Grille: will not fit, again, unless you do the conversion

Black housing headlights: Will need to get 96-98 headlights, and there are no stock black housing/gunmetal 96-98's so either you modify themselves or get those ebay ones and retrofit them.

SI Tail-lights: will fit, but eh personally I think it's overplayed.

SI OEM Wing: will fit, good luck finding one, the EX looks better because it sits lower, or you can just get a trunk lip / decklid spoiler.

With your 96-98 body style you have these common options for front lips:
96-98 CTR

96-98 SiR
Old 02-19-2013, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CO671
Lowering springs: the shocks would need to be upgraded, it's best to knock things out at once and get a nw coilover system. The typical 'Honda-tech would be Koni/GC , which may cost up to $800.

Magnaflow exhaust: Exhaust does nothing to stock NA D-series Civic's other than noise,l be a waste of cash unless you like the noise and look.

EBay Headers: Chances are they may crack due to the poor material (according to many other members)

SI Lip kit: SI Lip kit's wont fit on your 96-98 unless you convert the rear bumper and the whole front (hood, headlights, fenders, bumper)

Yellow fogs: will need to get the square 96-98 fogs not the 99-00 unless you do the front-end conversion. (As pictured below on 96-98 CTR lip)

Black housing headlights: Will need to get 96-98 headlights, and there are no stock black housing/gunmetal 96-98's so either you modify themselves or get those ebay ones and retrofit them.

SI OEM Wing: will fit, good luck finding one, the EX looks better because it sits lower, or you can just get a trunk lip / decklid spoiler.

With your 96-98 body style you have these common options for front lips:
96-98 CTR

96-98 SiR
I put the skunk2's on yesterday. They ride pretty damn good. But the stock struts won't last long. Ill probably pick up koni's (coilovers are too expensive and are over kill). I picked up the magnaflow for $70 off Craigslist. Pretty good deal I think. Personally I want to keep my front end. So ctr lip will be the route ill go. I like the taller OEM wing. HIDs are not needed I'm trying to avoid the cops. I can live with stock headlights and housing. I've always liked the si taili lights, def wanna go that route. Thanks for all the help so far 'gents. Much appreciated. I will definitely keep updating as stuff comes together.

Does anyone have personal experience with Plasti Dip?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

blaming our president cuz you drive a truck, what? not our fault you prefer trucks
Old 02-19-2013, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RT_NEWYORK
blaming our president cuz you drive a truck, what? not our fault you prefer trucks
On the contrary, blaming him for our failing economy and astronomical fuel prices.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't have experience with plastidip but have been researching it for the past few weeks to plasti-dip my 240sx (all white). What i've learned is that it's cheaper and easier than even rattlecanning. Check www.dipyourcar.com and buy a kit so that you can paint more than just your car. Look into purchasing the gallon sizes of white plastidip and getting their battery operated spraygun. The more coats you lay, the easier it is to peel off. Less prep work is needed and less masking than regular spray-painting, if you mess up you can easily restart.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't have experience with plastidip but have been researching it for the past few weeks to plasti-dip my 240sx (all white). What i've learned is that it's cheaper and easier than even rattlecanning. Check www.dipyourcar.com and buy a kit so that you can paint more than just your car. Look into purchasing the gallon sizes of white plastidip and getting their battery operated spraygun. The more coats you lay, the easier it is to peel off. Less prep work is needed and less masking than regular spray-painting, if you mess up you can easily restart.
I've seen a couple of dipyourcar's videos and it looks pretty easy. Unfortunately I don't think their kit is worth it as its already pre-thinned. The worst part is that no one ships to CA. Still working on a solution for getting around that. Once I do, 2 gal plasti dip, 2 gal xylene, 1 Wagner spray gun, for a total of $200 and some change. From what I hear, dipyourcar is a honest, and respectable company, just very over priced. But hey, they're the only ones sellingit for aautomotive purposes so they can pretty much charge whatever they want.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stereo, sub and speakers just went in. Pics to come..
Old 02-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check out my ek..
Old 03-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry bout the lag. I recently picked up some 17" Rays Versus SS7's on Toyo Proxies 215/40zr17. Tires will be replaced soon. I don't like the 215's. I'm also debating on keeping the car silver, and painting the wheels black, or painting the car white ans keeping the wheels gold. Why do you guys think?

Old 03-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not a big fan of 17's on a civic

imo u should keep it silver, get it waxed and detail very good and that silver will look amazing
Old 03-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the clear coat wasn't corroded I probably would. Personally, I like how the 17's fit the wheel well. I just wish the rear, well the whole car actually, was lower. I think its time to save up for coilovers. My gf hates the gold lol
Old 03-13-2013, 03:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not a fan of 17 on any honda before 2000. But to each his own. As far as color I say rock the silver. Gold on silver is a very good combo. I look forward to seeing where this goes.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Some mis-information here. There is no such thing as Si taillights, they are the same for all 99-00 civics.

There is no such thing as an Si wing. Spoilers were optional on all civics from 96-00. 96-98 were the low spoiler and 99-00 were the higher. No civic came with one standard and there is no difference between trim levels DX,EX,SI, etc...
Old 03-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I knew about the tail lights all being oem on 99-00. Didn't know the spoiler was non-specific oem uprade. Good to know. I like the wheel size, but the problem I have, is 17's + 2.5" drop pretty much makes it oem height. IMO the wheel to fender gaps are perfect but it sits too tall, so I'm going to look into coilovers. I installed the system (granted it was a quick install and some location adjustments need to be made), pics will be uploaded tonight or tomorrow. Next on the list is tint, and front and rear lips. I personally like the 98 front end so I'm going to stick with it.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

New additions to the car:
Full system pioneer 9500bt head unit (moved it to the lower console so I can out gauges in the factory location). 1200w 2 channel amp, Alpine s-type 10" in ported box. And a full catback magnaflow exhaust. Still need to replace the truck floor board with MDF.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also added Polk audio door speakers