Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Yes, you heard it first... I *REGRET* not sticking to my D

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes, you heard it first... I *REGRET* not sticking to my D

Yeah... So I'm sitting in my room, my car nearing completion and I've been in my room thinking.

The total cost for my car is hitting that 5k mark soon, and when I thought about the car in its simple foundation, I was thinking "Yea! Clean title B series swapped car with power windows and all the good stuff for less than 4500!"

But now when I analyze the situation again. I'm selling my D16Z6 to someone for 275. A full motor, transmission and extras for 275.

I start to think about where I could've gone if I kept that motor in. For one... My car wouldn't have been down for as long. How much could I have done to my D16Z6 for 2400, you know? It's not just a simple stock block turbo set up. I could've dumped 2400 into my D16Z6 and ended up with a 12 second daily driven car, WITH A/C, power steering, etc.

At this point I'm reaching my financial limit and the car won't even be running RIGHT. I won't have a chipped ECU, my exhaust is going to be ghetto rigged...

I don't know I guess a part of me wonders if the "Save the SOHC" group have the right idea. You spend so much on a B swap because of the demand of it, and you don't even realize that the swap itself might be worth a LOT LOT less in a simple manner of what it can do and how much it costs to mod.

Would I have had this much downtime had I bought head/block parts and built my D myself with friends' help?

I guess I hear people say all the time how much a D doesn't compare to a B or H because of potential and how it's a better platform for long term goals, but if most of a modified Honda's time is spent in the 12-15 second range, then is it REALLY more cost effective to go B and dump thousands upon thousands of dollars just to get above the arch?

I mean, I'll hit the 5k mark just to run 14 flat, whereas with that same budget mark, I could've hit 12's reliably with the stock motor. Do I have to shoot for 11's for a B18C to be more cost effective? One good cam for the SOHC is cheaper than two good cams for the DOHC. Does that price mentality stay the same across the board for all parts?

I guess I'm having regrets because now it's the SOHC Vtec engine assemblies that are hard to find or hardly up for sale, because the people that build them are usually very faithful to them, and the people that sell them let them go so quickly. (I had my D16Z6 up for sale for 2 days before I got a for sure buyer, whereas it's been the same amount of time and I haven't had a serious offer on my friend's perfect running GSR swapped EG which is selling a lot cheaper than most stock EG's)

I feel like the market's flooded with overpriced B/H series parts that never sell, whereas the single cam parts are hardly on the market, sell cheap and sell fast. It's like the SOHC VTEC community is more refined or close quartered....

When in Rome as they say... Do as the Romans do... Maybe I shouldn't have done that.

I guess I'm having my regrets even when I know how the car will run with the GSR running good. I know some people will say "turbo the GSR" but is it ever really that simple? The amount of money you dump into turboing a GSR can again be compared to the total budget you'd have with a D.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Yes, you heard it first... I *REGRET* not sticking to my D (Essenar83)

haha thats why i stick with my D.The best thing about guys that go B is theres a lot of cheap D series parts for us!
Old 07-04-2006, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that is why I thought about a b,h,and k series swap and desided to go big boost on a d.....easy desision
Old 07-04-2006, 04:41 AM

Default Re: (pythoner)

A boosted D series is the way to go, especially if you don't want to drop a lot of dough. I've had 2 EK hatches with boost, and have built quite a few of them. They are very fun to drive and can be made pretty fast.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (R1Motorsports.com)

Oh well dude you live and learn.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:17 AM

I somewhat regret getting my swap and not turbo'ing my D, too many problems.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Yes, you heard it first... I *REGRET* not sticking to my D (Essenar83)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Essenar83 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah... So I'm sitting in my room, my car nearing completion and I've been in my room thinking.

The total cost for my car is hitting that 5k mark soon, and when I thought about the car in its simple foundation, I was thinking "Yea! Clean title B series swapped car with power windows and all the good stuff for less than 4500!"

But now when I analyze the situation again. I'm selling my D16Z6 to someone for 275. A full motor, transmission and extras for 275.

I start to think about where I could've gone if I kept that motor in. For one... My car wouldn't have been down for as long. How much could I have done to my D16Z6 for 2400, you know? It's not just a simple stock block turbo set up. I could've dumped 2400 into my D16Z6 and ended up with a 12 second daily driven car, WITH A/C, power steering, etc.

At this point I'm reaching my financial limit and the car won't even be running RIGHT. I won't have a chipped ECU, my exhaust is going to be ghetto rigged...

I don't know I guess a part of me wonders if the "Save the SOHC" group have the right idea. You spend so much on a B swap because of the demand of it, and you don't even realize that the swap itself might be worth a LOT LOT less in a simple manner of what it can do and how much it costs to mod.

Would I have had this much downtime had I bought head/block parts and built my D myself with friends' help?

I guess I hear people say all the time how much a D doesn't compare to a B or H because of potential and how it's a better platform for long term goals, but if most of a modified Honda's time is spent in the 12-15 second range, then is it REALLY more cost effective to go B and dump thousands upon thousands of dollars just to get above the arch?

I mean, I'll hit the 5k mark just to run 14 flat, whereas with that same budget mark, I could've hit 12's reliably with the stock motor. Do I have to shoot for 11's for a B18C to be more cost effective? One good cam for the SOHC is cheaper than two good cams for the DOHC. Does that price mentality stay the same across the board for all parts?

I guess I'm having regrets because now it's the SOHC Vtec engine assemblies that are hard to find or hardly up for sale, because the people that build them are usually very faithful to them, and the people that sell them let them go so quickly. (I had my D16Z6 up for sale for 2 days before I got a for sure buyer, whereas it's been the same amount of time and I haven't had a serious offer on my friend's perfect running GSR swapped EG which is selling a lot cheaper than most stock EG's)

I feel like the market's flooded with overpriced B/H series parts that never sell, whereas the single cam parts are hardly on the market, sell cheap and sell fast. It's like the SOHC VTEC community is more refined or close quartered....

When in Rome as they say... Do as the Romans do... Maybe I shouldn't have done that.

I guess I'm having my regrets even when I know how the car will run with the GSR running good. I know some people will say "turbo the GSR" but is it ever really that simple? The amount of money you dump into turboing a GSR can again be compared to the total budget you'd have with a D. </TD></TR></TABLE>

cliffnotes - waaahhh1!

J/K man. i thought about going to the bseries long and hard. the buy in price is what swayed my decision and likely is on top of the list for most people.

i've been on ht for 3 years and i've seen the steady growth in the d series allmotor and boosted
Old 07-04-2006, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Booo ******* whooo.. This is a tech related forum. this isnt for moaning and bitching cause u cant suck it up.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:31 AM

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Booo ******* whooo.. This is a tech related forum. this isnt for moaning and bitching cause u cant suck it up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I 2nd that!, Do the research prior to starting any swap project
Old 07-04-2006, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AirForceB16)

Sell your damn d for more then 275, unless it has a million miles and is in shitty condition.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AirForceB16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Booo ******* whooo.. This is a tech related forum. this isnt for moaning and bitching cause u cant suck it up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AirForceB16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I 2nd that!, Do the research prior to starting any swap project</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good thing you co-signed for JDM... I think both of you are missing the point of this post. It has nothing to do with not researching his project or bitching. So many people on this board are concerned with how much it costs to make their car better and faster. People want a reliable car that's fast and they will drop 5 grand (or more) to get it out of a STOCK b/h/k swap when the same power can be had from a boosted and built d for much less. I'm not trying to say that the potential is ultimately as great with a d, but a boosted d could easily yield results that most people on this board with be more than satisfied with. People go with other engines because d's have a stigma of being the underdog. There is some truth to the stigma but they do have more potential than they usually get credit for. I think all Essenar83 is trying to convey is that his money could have been spent better elsewhere and since the majority of us on this site aren't made out of money this could be just the advice someone who's strugling to upgrade their car needs to hear. This thread might not be directly tech related but it was very well thought out and written!
Old 07-04-2006, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (NineTwoSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NineTwoSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Good thing you co-signed for JDM... I think both of you are missing the point of this post. It has nothing to do with not researching his project or bitching. So many people on this board are concerned with how much it costs to make their car better and faster. People want a reliable car that's fast and they will drop 5 grand (or more) to get it out of a STOCK b/h/k swap when the same power can be had from a boosted and built d for much less. I'm not trying to say that the potential is ultimately as great with a d, but a boosted d could easily yield results that most people on this board with be more than satisfied with. People go with other engines because d's have a stigma of being the underdog. There is some truth to the stigma but they do have more potential than they usually get credit for. I think all Essenar83 is trying to convey is that his money could have been spent better elsewhere and since the majority of us on this site aren't made out of money this could be just the advice someone who's strugling to upgrade their car needs to hear. This thread might not be directly tech related but it was very well thought out and written! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well lets just give the guy a swift kick in the *** to the GDD forum and maybe JUST maybe if he's lucky he might get a cookie
Old 07-04-2006, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

Dude, I have much respect for your write-ups and everything you contribute to this board but this is seriously the most ignorant thing I've ever heard you say... The guy isn't discussing who won on american idol last night and his post is relevant to this forum. I think it's good advice and I'm sure there are many people who would never have seen this post if it was posted in GDD. I personally come on here to read about cars and I have never even been in the GDD forum as I don't come to "Honda-Tech" to discuss my favorite sports teams. I'm not trying to get into it with you or anyone else, I just think you're efforts to de-troll this board would be better spent on the infinitely more retarded posts that pop up in our forum. Give the guy a break, for being so new he seems to actually be using his brain.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:35 AM

Well, its hype that got you into it (VTEC DOHC OMFG LOL K THX) and you just realized Honda's are just an expensive hobby... total for my B18C swap into my EH2 i've spent 3000 - i already knew from a friend that I could have dropped in a turbo to my old D16Y7, get an Si tranny and be fast, but I preferred to B-series. Regret? I wouldn't say so, you'll still love your car for what it is, just keep moving it along. My swap was completed in a single day and downtime wasn't really there, so I don't know...
Old 07-04-2006, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (axtran)

i own 3 cars now and all of them have or are finishing up a b-series motor fopr them. i do't regret it i don't think a fully built d-series is considerd reliable nor would if the same mods were done to a b-series any highly modified engine is pushing reliability. i'm happy with b-series. but you are right it's baller status
Old 07-04-2006, 08:51 AM

I would never even think of going back to a D series.. Every time my near stock B18c1 completely stomps a turbo D. I take my car lapping with no heat problems while buddies of mine with turbo D engines can't even drive on the highway for 45 mins at a time. B is better. you shouldn't have any issues with the B series if the swap was done correctly.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Essenar83 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah... So I'm sitting in my room, my car nearing completion and I've been in my room thinking.

I guess I'm having my regrets even when I know how the car will run with the GSR running good. I know some people will say "turbo the GSR" but is it ever really that simple? The amount of money you dump into turboing a GSR can again be compared to the total budget you'd have with a D. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Amen

I say this is a good thing, since it shows the whole cost issue. he has very good points in this. the down time, the ghetto rigging, the headaches, and in the end only running a 14. I see his point and i dont see it as moanign and complaing, more like a different point of veiw, this coming from a person who has done the swap, not someone who has a turbo d, or just cant afford a swap.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Yes, you heard it first... I *REGRET* not sticking to my D (sohcvtec1995)

i would truly like to own a ctr, itr, b16a, k20a, or a h series swap but the only thing holding me back is the cost of the swap plus switching to b series axles, shift linkage,etc. im in no way downing a bseries if you can afford go for it but ima stay in the corner with the sohc people in there lil snails pumpin 10 psi. its just more affordable for me . but let me get to point that i can a afford a ls longblock its on
Old 07-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Mr. Indecisive

Default Re: (OrangeCiviC251)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OrangeCiviC251 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but you are right it's baller status</TD></TR></TABLE>

lmao..

The only thing i regret is goin w/ a b16. But **** all i need to do now is push a little boost and i should be able to pull on most turbo d's. However after spending like 7k on the car n still running 15s
Old 07-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NineTwoSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NineTwoSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just think you're efforts to de-troll this board would be better spent on the infinitely more retarded posts that pop up in our forum. Give the guy a break, for being so new he seems to actually be using his brain.</TD></TR></TABLE>
werd, but face it..
H-T de-trollers sometimes are trolls themselves.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NineTwoSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">..isn't discussing who won on american idol last night..</TD></TR></TABLE>
Dont bag on the soul patrol. Represent.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Essenar83 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Good posting, sir. Good luck with your build.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:15 AM

I think some of you are missing the point of my post. I'm not whining at all. I'm a man. I learned in life that you have to take responsibility in your lapses of judgement. Nowhere in my post did I suggest I wished I could undo my mistake.

Note: The motor is STILL in my car port and the GSR assembly is complete. If I was really that adamant about it, I could screw over the guy buying my D and sell my GSR and still go D turbo.

I decided to live with my choice and lose money later but see where I can go with this.

The point of this post isn't to say that I want sympathy. I could care less if someone I've never met cares whether or not I should get a second chance at Honda tuning.

The point of this post was:

There is a lot of misconception in why people want to mod Honda's. A lot of people give advice based on what's better for them to do, and not based at all on what the person asking for advice is trying to accomplish.

The comparitive analogy would be if this was a board about buying houses.

One guy buys this common mansion everyone buys that costs two million dollars. The house has 8 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms, 3 car garage and the huge square shaped pool/jacuzy combo. Almost everyone on the board recommends going with that house combination, but they have every intention of making use of every room in that house. Another guy comes to the board asking for advice and his situation dictates he will only use 4 or 5 rooms and he will only need 2 garage spots. Yet everyone suggests the 2 million dollar house because of "future possibilities" but the way they word it is to suggest a house with 5 bedrooms is a piece of ****.

I fell for the hype, I'm not going to lie. The mistake was all on me. Sure for a person going B series I saved a lot of money, but for a person wanting a modest daily driven 13 second car, I could've saved a lot more money. That's all I'm trying to do is show people that GSR/B16/H22 isn't always the best choice.

You have to at many points ask yourself, "Where am I going with this? 10's? 11's? 12's? 13's?"

Some people go Honda because of the gas milage. Some go Honda because of the rumored cheapness it takes to get fast. Some go Honda because of "phat vtak baybay". Ask yourself why you're going Honda before you decide on a swap, because every single swap you can put in your car has its downsides, the majority of them other than Single cam VTEC have the downsides of power/dollar.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't spend that much for an stock NA b-series motor. I would of rather spent that 5k on an ls-vtec setup and goodies or a cheap gsr setup and boosted that then ever buying a B18c.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hcivic02)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ8VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lmao..

The only thing i regret is goin w/ a b16. But **** all i need to do now is push a little boost and i should be able to pull on most turbo d's. However after spending like 7k on the car n still running 15s </TD></TR></TABLE>

wow 7k on the car and your runnin 15s..
i spend way less and im running 13.9....LSV power..ahah
cant wait to built it more...but whatever
Old 07-04-2006, 11:59 AM
Mr. Indecisive

Default Re: (jdmjaser)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmjaser &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow 7k on the car and your runnin 15s..
i spend way less and im running 13.9....LSV power..ahah
cant wait to built it more...but whatever </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah but the 7k also includes suspension, clutch, wheels/tires, alarm, exhaust
Old 07-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (EJ8VTEC)

this is a waste of post, go cry in GDD

reported

Quick Reply: Yes, you heard it first... I *REGRET* not sticking to my D