Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Y8 Smoking and bogging down. Any help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 06:05 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y8 Smoking and bogging down. Any help?

OK, i have a 98 civic hatch. It was originally a D16y7 but was recently swapped to a Y8. In the swap the head was ported and polished, header and AEM ram air intake were put on, a BDL 70mm throttle body with new TPS and MAP sensors was installed, Felpro Cometic MLS headgasket, lightweight flywheel, stage 1 clutch, AEM fuel rail and andjustable FPR, along with a sandwich plate for the oil filter to provide oil pressure and temp gauges. All gaskets are new and are Felpro, no cheap ebay ****.

The car starts up and idles great. Idles high but i know that is the throttle body. Its turned all the way down, all the way closed, and still idling at 2000rpm. If i cant fix that I can put the factory throttle body back on. (unless someone knows hot to fix that). It blows blueish/white smoke. It has fowled 2 sets of spark plugs. And if you gently give it throttle it will rev up just fine, but if you give it throttle quickly it bogs down and stalls.

I am running my factory Y7 harness, a jumper harness, and a P28 (not chipped, virgin) ECU. I have double checked the Vtec wiring. I have double checked the wire colors to make sure the TPS and MAP sensor plugs are not switched (although when they are switched it runs better but with a bad idle surge, if that means anything). The IACV is blocked off and bypassed due to being bad (same thing was done to the Y7).

Compression test as well as a leak down test was done. All 4 cylinders were around 190psi and held for 20 minutes each without leaking any pressure. I have checked the oil (fresh oil change just done with the swap) and it is clean. No water/antifreeze. I have checked the antifreeze and it is clean as well. That along with it being brand new tells me the head gasket is fine. Timing has been checked 5 times. It is in time 100%.

The rear O2 sensor is unhooked due to the location of the bung the sensor was cutting into the cv boot. I plugged the bung and intend to weld in two new ones on the side of the pipe to replace the O2 sensor and add an Air/Fuel Ratio gauge. I have a feeling this is the running rich problem. Any input on that?

More random information that may be of help.
Using the y7 dizzy.
I have tried both the y7 (190cc) injectors and the y8 (240cc) injectors. Runs better with the y8s of course but neither helped the issues.
Knock sensor is not hooked up. Never was with the y7 and it ran just fine.
Evap system is all gone. (bay is tucked and shaved).
Used 2 cans of brake cleaner, there arent any vaccuum leaks.
Head does not have "air injection holes" but intake does, plugged them with JB Weld.

If you can help me out with figuring out why this thing is smoking and bogging down it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. Yes i know, new guy posting. Ive used the search bar. I am capable of finding it. I have also used google. I am coming to you guys because I havent found answers. Just looking for some help.

Last edited by Vandorin8191; 11-11-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Y8 Smoking and bogging down. Any help?

UPDATE:

Ok, so i found that oil was getting into the intake and burning in the combustion chamber. I knew it was something in the top end or lines due to no water in the oil. Checked a few vacuum lines and sure enough the hose from the intake to the vent box on the back of the engine was sucking oil into the intake. Anyone know what would make this happen? I pulled the hose off the intake, and plugged both sides up and it runs better and the blue smoke is gone. Also the idle dropped from 2000rpms to 700rpms. I suspect a bad pcv valve.

The only issue left is a little bit of smoke, not too noticeable but still present. And when you ease into the throttle it will rev up just fine, but if you give it any amount of throttle quickly it bogs down and falls on its face.

Also ive been checking my plugs periodically. When the oil issue was present the plugs were black and wet with oil. Now they are still fouling but its a dry carbon. So im running rich. I have sat and played with my fpr with everything from 20-45psi and its the same effect op the plugs.

I have been told two things so far, any confirmation?

-The dry carbon fouling could be due to a back pressure issue somewhere.
-The bogging down could be due to the 70mm throttle body on a stock intake. Air coming in is hitting the 6.5mm lip (decent size looking at it) and being pushed back from the intake.
-The bogging down could be caused by the speed sensor not being hooked up.

Any help on this? Thanks guys.

Last edited by Vandorin8191; 11-11-2013 at 06:06 PM.