Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

y8 power output

Old 12-15-2005, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default y8 power output

Whats the hp output for the y8 motor? I have a y7 with y8 I think it should be the same
Old 12-16-2005, 02:09 AM

Default Re: y8 power output (Eaglekper0046)

d16y8 has 127 hp stock.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: y8 power output (Honda Slim)

Mine with 55 000 miles on it. 1999 y7 with 2000 y8 head, '00 p2p ecu, I/H/E

Click Thumbnail to enlarge

Modified by Slothy at 7:35 AM 12/16/2005
Old 12-16-2005, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: y8 power output (Eaglekper0046)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eaglekper0046 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Whats the hp output for the y8 motor? I have a y7 with y8 I think it should be the same</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you have a Y7 block with a Y8 head, you will have slightly more than stock. The compression ratio for a stock Y8 is around 9.5:1 while a Y7 block/Y8 head will have around 10.2:1 compression.

Brandon
Old 12-16-2005, 06:53 AM

Default Re: y8 power output (B96v6)

that is a true statement, cause I have "minime" swap in my car and everyone else that has a regular y8 motor says that my car actually feels a lot better than theirs.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: y8 power output (hondamikey)

that dyno sheet says 110whp, a stock y8 with bolts ons put down the same measly 109-110hp
Old 12-16-2005, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: y8 power output (sicones)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sicones &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that dyno sheet says 110whp, a stock y8 with bolts ons put down the same measly 109-110hp</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactally, don't let anyone tell you that a y7-y8 minime bumps the compression way up. The y7 and y8 botom ends are pretty much identical. The higher compression ratio comes into play when you do a mini-me on a d15 block.

Old 12-16-2005, 10:02 AM

Default Re: y8 power output (Slothy)

my old y8 motor with I/H/E, skunk2 manifold and VAFC put down only 115hp..........
Old 12-16-2005, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: y8 power output (Superdragr45)

you know what I have to say about D series

Old 12-16-2005, 10:09 AM

Default Re: y8 power output (JayDiemB16aCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JayDiemB16aCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you know what I have to say about D series

</TD></TR></TABLE>

hella...........plus, a lot of the y8 motors are prone to getting rod knock........thats why i went to the DOHC side...........
Old 12-16-2005, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: y8 power output (Superdragr45)

thats how I blew up my y8, I went to 7,500 rpms and well I threw a rod and that was it! ****** weak *** motors.

Old 12-16-2005, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JayDiemB16aCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats how I blew up my y8, I went to 7,500 rpms and well I threw a rod and that was it! ****** weak *** motors.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude why would you rev a D16y8 that high anyway dumbass
Old 12-16-2005, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes y8's suck ***... but the z6's are teh ****.. mine goes to 8800 no problem.. it pulls up to 8400 after that it kinda lags but i ususally shift at 8300 and no problems at all.. its been done many many times im not saying its good to over rev the **** out of ur motor and i may be dumb for doing it but i like the half a second difference in the time....
Old 12-16-2005, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JayDiemB16aCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you know what I have to say about D series

</TD></TR></TABLE>

you know what I have to say about D series

BOOST them!
Old 12-16-2005, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: y8 power output (siregcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siregcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes y8's suck ***... but the z6's are teh ****.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

both suck *** unless they are boosted. Even then I would rather have an LS2 for my performance needs

I use my honda to go to work and back.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: y8 power output (elf_vang)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elf_vang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dude why would you rev a D16y8 that high anyway dumbass</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok fckhead, 200 rpms over the f*ing 7300 rpm redline, normally that won't hurt a motor, but, when we are talking about econo shitbox D series then that would pose as a problem huh. Face it, D series suck no matter what. Even if you boost em they will never compare to a B series.

D series = Junk
Old 12-16-2005, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JayDiemB16aCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ok fckhead, 200 rpms over the f*ing 7300 rpm redline, normally that won't hurt a motor, but, when we are talking about econo shitbox D series then that would pose as a problem huh. Face it, D series suck no matter what. Even if you boost em they will never compare to a B series.

D series = Junk </TD></TR></TABLE>

there are plenty of people making good power with d16s/d15s .. yea potenial of the d-series motors runout .. but who cares if i was looking for 400+ hp i wouldnt stay with my D but 250-300 will fit me well and hopefully put me in the 12s.. thats my goal .. then if i kill it, expletive the B ill buy a K
Old 12-16-2005, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

</TD></TR></TABLE>

We didn't ask.

B
Old 12-16-2005, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That makes me feel unconfortale of building my All Motor D series....oh well, still going to try it. If all fails like he said BSeries
Old 12-16-2005, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JayDiemB16aCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ok guy...whatever you say....
Old 12-16-2005, 03:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: y8 power output (elf_vang)

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ignorance is bliss.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Superdragr45 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> hella...........plus, a lot of the y8 motors are prone to getting rod knock........thats why i went to the DOHC side...........</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not if you take care of them. You think DOHC are impervious to spinning a bearing too?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JayDiemB16aCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok fckhead, 200 rpms over the f*ing 7300 rpm redline, normally that won't hurt a motor, but, when we are talking about econo shitbox D series then that would pose as a problem huh. Face it, D series suck no matter what. Even if you boost em they will never compare to a B series.

Last time I sat in my car and looked at the STOCK redline it was 6,800 not 7,300. 7,300 is the fuel cut-off. In other words that's honda saying don't push your ******* engine past that.

People will always have their opinions about what engine is best, fact is, none are the best. You can think your B series is a gift from god, and I'll sit back and enjoy my 30+ mpg. If you aren't asked for you opinion then STFU.

Back on topic, the hp rating for the y8 stock is 127 to the flywheel. To the wheels, that will depend on a few things. IE, wheel and tire combo and how old the engine is. You're looking at anywhere between 100-115 to the wheels.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:53 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JayDiemB16aCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok fckhead, 200 rpms over the f*ing 7300 rpm redline, normally that won't hurt a motor, but, when we are talking about econo shitbox D series then that would pose as a problem huh. Face it, D series suck no matter what. Even if you boost em they will never compare to a B series.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are a superior grade dumbass, aren't you? 7500rpm is past even the lofty <FONT COLOR="red">FUEL CUT</FONT> - something that should never be touched unless you've built the engine to safely deal with the consequences. If you blew up a D-series motor from spinning it too high it's your own damn fault and has nothing to do with the quality of the motor (which is very good).

And I welcome you to bring your big and bad B-series motors to a road course and tell me after three or four laps how shitty my stock D16Z6 with 262+ thousand miles is.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: y8 power output (Archidictus)

explain how a turbo d series pulling 200 plus hp is worse than a b16 with 160 hp? D series have plenty of potential if you know what your doing, all he asked was how much power they make, take it easy all of you "D series sucks B series Rocks" guys
Old 12-16-2005, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: y8 power output (Civicse)

ok yea a stock y8 puts out a whole waaping 127 crank hp. big whoop. even after you boost it its only good for; what did edelbrock put out on their y8? like 170hp. I'm bashin d series only because I seen way too many of these motors gone to junk due to RODS. Their bottom ends suck. I was considering boosting my y8 until I ran into the problem of a rod issue. it had no problem going all the way to 7300 rpms, where the redline on my 99ex was. shifts were accurate and posed no problem till the one day I went a little too high and well the rod went first. my friend had the same problem but he didnt take it to 7500. regular driving. he since then has gone through 2 d16y8s and is now saying expletive the d series and moving onto the b series.

I don't know about all of you with the basic bolt ons to a y8, but I was being beat a lot, and to tell you the truth, it's quite embarassing. And as for fuel, well if all of you like going slow all the time and being beat by dodge neons go right ahead. But I'd rather have a pretty fast car that I'm proud of and to see the look on some peoples faces that they just lost to a 4 banger. But whatever, just telling you that the d series isn't the best of motors.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civicse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">explain how a turbo d series pulling 200 plus hp is worse than a b16 with 160 hp? D series have plenty of potential if you know what your doing, all he asked was how much power they make, take it easy all of you "D series sucks B series Rocks" guys</TD></TR></TABLE>

and this *******, a stock d16y8 makes 127 and a stock b series has 160 USDM of course. How is that d series better than the b series? Can you explain to me that one. VTEC in a d series just blows it out the dick cuz there really isn't any type of VTEC at all. Their bottom ends suck too, b series rods are a lot tougher than the d series. D series is for ECONO.

Boosted d series- 200 hp give or take, I'm giving in this part of this discussion

Boosted b sereis - 250 hp. maybe a little less or more, depending on what you do of course.

can you tell me how the d series is gonna be better than the b series. Can you explain to me why so many people have blown up a d series after throwing a turbo on it cuz the d series motors are so fragile.

1.The b series rods are a lot tougher than the ones found on the d series
2. You have a more distinct VTEC. b18c1's and 5's are totally ******* nasty.
3. A stock B series has about the same gas mileage as the d series
4. D series are more prone to damages when boosted. Ie. Rods

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC4life 96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not if you take care of them. You think DOHC are impervious to spinning a bearing too?

.</TD></TR></TABLE>

not soo much.

have a nice ****** day
Old 12-16-2005, 04:46 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JayDiemB16aCivic
ok yea a stock y8 puts out a whole waaping 127 crank hp. big whoop. even after you boost it its only good for; what did edelbrock put out on their y8? like 170hp. I'm bashin d series only because I seen way too many of these motors gone to junk due to RODS. Their bottom ends suck. I was considering boosting my y8 until I ran into the problem of a rod issue. it had no problem going all the way to 7300 rpms, where the redline on my 99ex was. shifts were accurate and posed no problem till the one day I went a little too high and well the rod went first. my friend had the same problem but he didnt take it to 7500. regular driving. he since then has gone through 2 d16y8s and is now saying expletive the d series and moving onto the b series.
Take care of your car and you won't spin bearings or throw rods through the block. You're an idiot who overrevved your engine(s) and your friend is an idiot who didn't take care of his daily driver.

You're not so good at putting together a case study, kid. Maybe you should take some anylitical science courses and come back to us when you know how to make a point through proper research and corroborated examples.

Originally Posted by fucking_tool_the_toolnoob
I don't know about all of you with the basic bolt ons to a y8, but I was being beat a lot,
When you're drag racing people with nothing but a bolt-on Civic, you're a loser whether you're ahead or behind at the end of the race.

Originally Posted by moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooron
and to tell you the truth, it's quite embarassing. And as for fuel, well if all of you like going slow all the time and being beat by dodge neons go right ahead.
My 1995.5 5-speed SOHC Neon sedan could pull a high 15 bone stock on street tires. That's EM1 Si territory and they have the almighty B16! OMG! Your arguement is so laughable that I want to stop typing.

Originally Posted by 2fast2furious_nutswinger
But I'd rather have a pretty fast car that I'm proud of and to see the look on some peoples faces that they just lost to a 4 banger. But whatever, just telling you that the d series isn't the best of motors.
Well while you're living your life one 15-second, B-series quarter mile at a time, the rest of us will be worrying about things other than who can get from the grocery store parking lot to the arcade fastest. I'm not sure what your world revolves around, but you might want to consider changing that particular focus before you come in here swinging you dinky little e-chode like you've got a pair.

Simple fact: D-series motors are cheaper than crack ******, can put out a safe 200whp with less than $1500 invested and will run forever with proper maintenence. Your average B18C1 swap costs $2800 said and done and puts you solidly into the mid-to-high 14's on street tires. The "big three" might put you into the low-14's if you can drive. A turbo D16 VTEC at 200whp in the same car will put you squarely in the high-13's if you can drive it and it won't cost anywhere near $2800.

You're just failing to deal with valvecover shock.

Originally Posted by obviously_missed_the_point
and this *******, a stock d16y8 makes 127 and a stock b series has 160 USDM of course. How is that d series better than the b series? Can you explain to me that one. VTEC in a d series just blows it out the dick cuz there really isn't any type of VTEC at all. Their bottom ends suck too, b series rods are a lot tougher than the d series. D series is for ECONO.
You missed the point entirely and I'm getting a cramp in my hand from slapping you around, so I'll just leave you with a great big

and say a prayer for any children that might end up coming from your bloodline in the future.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: y8 power output