Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

y8 with ITBs........S-AFC suitable for tuning??

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default y8 with ITBs........S-AFC suitable for tuning??

soo, i have had the ITBs on my car now for about 2 weeks and it runs fine now. Only thing is it needs to be tuned now. I was told by some sources that i would need AT LEAST Hondata to make it run properly. But, i already have an Apexi S-AFC installed in my car. I kno it only will do fuel tuning, but, will it be enough for the engine to run strong?????

also, do engines with ITBs run rich no matter how much tuning u do to it????
Old 11-08-2004, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: y8 with ITBs........S-AFC suitable for tuning?? (Superdragr45)

bump for a good question...

how much does an S-AFC run for?
Old 11-08-2004, 03:31 PM

Default Re: y8 with ITBs........S-AFC suitable for tuning?? (Jon V)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jon V &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump for a good question...

how much does an S-AFC run for?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i got mine for around 300 installed at a local shop when i was still workin at another performance shop.....................
Old 11-08-2004, 03:41 PM

Your going to need a stand alone system ie. hondata, aem, or something to make this run properly the safc will not be able to tune it enought
Old 11-08-2004, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: y8 with ITBs........S-AFC suitable for tuning?? (Superdragr45)

Do you have any pics of it installed in your car? i want to see what it loks like. Also do you have any CELS?
Old 11-08-2004, 04:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Spence)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spence &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your going to need a stand alone system ie. hondata, aem, or something to make this run properly the safc will not be able to tune it enought</TD></TR></TABLE>

BULL CRAP.....

i ran my itb's with VAFC only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ran fine and no problems through rpm range via wideband o2!!
Old 11-08-2004, 09:02 PM

Default Re: (chad)

heres a post about my ITB install

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1040211
Old 11-09-2004, 02:41 AM

I have heard from a friend work in a tuner shop you will need to have a stand alone system (i.e FCon, PowerFCs) to take full advantage of ITBs?
Old 11-09-2004, 03:08 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (sinister6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sinister6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have heard from a friend work in a tuner shop you will need to have a stand alone system (i.e FCon, PowerFCs) to take full advantage of ITBs?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's probably true... to take FULL advantage.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:04 AM

Yes & what is the use of putting such a nice mod on, while you cant take full advantage of it..

But disregard my comment, and dont answer important questions like: are you running any cells.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:07 AM

Default Re: (Dirk-EG)

Well i guess im not a complete idiot then thanks for the support guys!!! I mean who would spend all that money on itb's then try to run it properly off a 300 dollar vtec controller and not a stand alone system?
Old 11-09-2004, 08:39 AM

Default Re: (Spence)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spence &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well i guess im not a complete idiot then thanks for the support guys!!! I mean who would spend all that money on itb's then try to run it properly off a 300 dollar vtec controller and not a stand alone system?</TD></TR></TABLE>

this i can agree with. in order to get the FULL potential out of it, u would need standalone...................but, i guess i shouldnt halfstep it......................anyone else got any experience with just using an AFC hack??
Old 11-09-2004, 09:09 AM

Default Re: (Superdragr45)

DO YOU RUN ANY CELLS?

How do you have things hooked up?

Did you hook up your IACV on a line into the ITB's so the ECU runs kinda normal idle?

Did you highten the MAP sensor read out on the S-AFC (if thats even possible)

No its not suppose to run all the way rich on ITB's, perhaps the S-AFC cant lean it out enough?

What settings are you running now, and why did you talk of Hondata in the pref. topic but want to be stubborn and try & run it S-AFC only?
Old 11-09-2004, 09:43 AM

i am pulling a the last CEL today once i get my code reader back.....................

i have everything hooked up again, but i still have the IACV open.......im starting to think that its what is causing some problems with the low idles, so i will have to check that out as well today..............

i have the AFC at no setting right now because i need to get it on the dyno to see what numbers it is pulling before i go tune it....................and yes, i kno i should be doing hondata, but, i cant seem to find enough time and money to do all of it...............soo, im still waiting to see if i stumble on a p28 and get the parts i need.................but, i wanna see if i can tune it with the AFC for temporary use................luckily, i dont drive this car everyday, soo i have time to mess with it....................
Old 11-09-2004, 10:01 AM

So you left the P28 to run a standard program while you put on ITB's... no wonder its pig-rich, since ITB's give out a lower MAP value, which in turn gives the P28 the signal to push more fuel. If you dont have the IACV hooked up to the ECU its gonna give a cell, if you do have it hooked up, but not attached to the intake, it wont help your idle, but will remove the cell.. Hondata can turn off the need for the IACV and remove some extra wiring & ****.

So you attached the vacuumlines to the MAP & the brake booster, and it idles without bogging.. Obviously doesnt do a higher idle on cold engine, since you dont have the IACV on. Warm engine is a open or closed (always mix those up) loop, so the lambda will help steer the P28 fuel injection.

I hear you about the time & money problem.. I have to import everything... the safe thing would be to screw it off again and wait for proper tuning material, but where is the fun in that
Old 11-09-2004, 11:51 AM

k man. definete understanding now.......................i have almost everything t'ed off and the IACV is just hanging for now.........................

for now, i will have to hang on for now until i get something better................thanks for the advice everyone...........