Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Y8 Intake manifold issues.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y8 Intake manifold issues.

Guys, I just recently did a headgasket/timing belt, and swapped on an intake manifold on my y7, and I can't get the intake manifold to seal off. i have a HORRIBLE leak across the top of the intake manifold. I've tried a new gasket, loosening/retightening the intake, and even did some rigging with some silicone, with some limited results.

Here's my dilemma. I picked up what I thought was a y8 manifold, and got my conversion wrapped up. I wound up having to grind down the feet on the bottom of the flange, as the manifold was hitting the block. I'm scratching my head here, and looking to see if someone can ID the manifold, and tell me if there's something I'm missing. I see no Air Injection holes on the outside of the manifold, and the flange appeared pretty flat. I just can't get the stupid thing to seal up.

here's some pictures and a my cross-post from DSO:

Alright, so I'm not sure if I should post it here, or my other thread... I don't know what the deal is with this manifold - I can't get it to seal AT ALL across the top. I've used two different gaskets, tried tightening it several different ways, and can't get it to work. I wound up swapping a stud for a bolt after I broke one, and moved from the metal composite gasket to straight silicone, and still no good seal. I'll post pictures of the desperation:

Can someone tell me if this intake is something different, that absolutely, wholeheartedly WON'T work on my car?

I'm puzzled - it looks like every other y8 mani I've seen except for the flat spot across the top with the vacuum nipple sticking up. It leaks all the way across the top. I took the closest thing I had for a straight edge - a framing square - and it really doesnt look bad.

And the most ghetto attempt at making something work I've ever done:

-Laugh if ya want, I did it the whole time I was squeezing the tube, lol.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-31-2012, 03:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Y8 Intake manifold issues.

Your manifold has air injection you have a cap on the fiting close to the valve cover. You havw to plug the ports where it meets the head. Your throttle cable bracket is upside down. Is your pcv valve hooked up? .
Old 10-31-2012, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Y8 Intake manifold issues.

I was thinking the same thing... I was under the assumption that the Air Injection ports were noticeable from outside, but after some digging, I found an intake with the same casting, and sure enough it's from a 99+ car. Feel like a complete noob.

PCV was the first thing I hooked up.

the throttle bracket is one I found in a pile of parts at a friend's shop, and doesnt actually fit the intake - the holes don't line up. I just tried to mimic what I'd seen in someone else's thread, but I'll definitely flip it over before it all goes back together and see how it works out.

Now I just have to pull the intake again, and see about plugging the holes. I had someone say that a grub/set screw would work, but I've gotta make sure the hole is threaded. I really don't like the idea of having JBquik filling a port open to the rest of the engine - it just sounds like disaster if it ever comes loose.