Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help Identifiying ICM (igniter) model

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Identifiying ICM (igniter) model

I have been looking for a while in the web for the ICM that my Honda civic 2000 EX D16Y8 distributor has. I have had no luck finding it. The previous owner replaced the distributor few years ago, however it seems that the ICM is different than the OEM. I tried the ICM that should fit my car (LX734 Grey in the picture) but it did not fit in the heatsink. I was able to grind the heatsink a bit in order for it to fit however the 'flange' is thicker (see 2nd pic). The car did not start. I tried the LX615 (black in the far right), it fit but was longer than the one on my distributor. The car did not start. Thus, it seems, that these ICMs are not to be interchangeable, I installed mine back and the car started right up. However it doesn't want to start again after few hours, which is what I am trying to resolve.

My ICM has 3 holes and a thin metal flange. The grey one has 3 holes and a thick plastic flange. The far right black has 2 holes with a thin metal flange. See pictures...

Could any one help me identify the one in the middle???

Thanks a lot!

Edit: I have been troubleshooting this for a while with the FSM and all the available random no-start threads on the web.
Fuel pump is priming (wet sparks when cranking)
Changed Main relay
Changed coil due to weak spark
Check battery voltage on distributor and in the ECU (good).
Check for open circuit in harness (close circuit until ECU)
Check grounds
Attached Images   

Last edited by EchaKqulo; 06-07-2017 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 06-08-2017, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help Identifiying ICM (igniter) model

Anyone??
Old 06-08-2017, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts

Do you know the manufacturer/model # of the distributor? Can you post a picture of the distributor? My guess is you need to try and figure out what parts the distributor manufacturer uses and try and source that rather than the OEM parts, since my guess is the distributor is not OEM.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wxman94ej1
Do you know the manufacturer/model # of the distributor? Can you post a picture of the distributor? My guess is you need to try and figure out what parts the distributor manufacturer uses and try and source that rather than the OEM parts, since my guess is the distributor is not OEM.
Thanks for the input!
Yes you are right, the distributor is not OEM.
The distributor has a model TD63 on it with some PNos (See pic 1). I have been searching on the web by the models/PNos and by the colors of the wires it seems to be a Spectra Premium. See pic 2 from the web for the full distributor since the only pic that I have at hand from the distributor is the PNos on pic 1.
Attached Images   
Old 06-08-2017, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts

Well, that certainly confirms it's not OEM. Here's a link to a Spectra Premium ICM that fits a 2000 Civic w/D16Y8:
https://www.carid.com/spectra-premiu...n-ig1013m.html

I would have to assume that Spectra Premium uses these in their complete distributors, but based on the picture you posted and the picture at that link I'm not sure because they look a little different.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I have much more to offer. Perhaps someone else will, but be sure to update if you ever do either fix the starting issue and/or locate the proper ICM. Good luck and sorry I can't be of more help!
Old 06-09-2017, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Looks like the 734 would fit if you replace the two bottom screws with longer ones with round heads.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wxman94ej1
Well, that certainly confirms it's not OEM. Here's a link to a Spectra Premium ICM that fits a 2000 Civic w/D16Y8:
https://www.carid.com/spectra-premiu...n-ig1013m.html

I would have to assume that Spectra Premium uses these in their complete distributors, but based on the picture you posted and the picture at that link I'm not sure because they look a little different.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I have much more to offer. Perhaps someone else will, but be sure to update if you ever do either fix the starting issue and/or locate the proper ICM. Good luck and sorry I can't be of more help!
This is the same ICM straight from Spectra Premium website that I was able to find. However, I got confused as well because the are 'a bit' different as you noticed. I have contacted Spectra Premium on their Techinfo email with the concern, but have not received any respond yet. I will definitely keep the forum informed if I can locate the proper ICM. Otherwise I would have to buy a hole new distributor to be able to test for a messed up ICM. I have gone thru different Auto parts e.g. Autozone, advance, etc. and non of them can test these ICMs. All the FSM trouble shooting are yielding good results e.g. battery voltage, continuity, etc., only things left to troubleshoot are ICM & ECU.

Thanks a lot for trying to help!!

Originally Posted by mk378
Looks like the 734 would fit if you replace the two bottom screws with longer ones with round heads.
Yes, that's exactly what I did. I purchased a 734 for ~$10, grind the heatsink tabs for the ICM holes to align and bought some longer screws. Installed everything back and the car did not start at all. Uninstalled everything back, re-installed the original ICM and the car started right up; however it did not wanted to start again after few hrs. To me it seems that these ICM are not interchangeable. Same test was done with the LX615 with the same results as the 734...