Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Y7 to y8 intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Y7 to y8 intake manifold

so i just got a y8 intake manifold and idk if it is automatic or manual it has a plug in the back so i am assuming it is a manual?? also idk what year it is from can anoyone verify this for me i reaserched before i posted so dont flame maybe i just missed somethng but ive been searching for an hour now
Old 04-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Y7 to y8 intake manifold

so i just searched a little more and found htis http://i47.tinypic.com/2rr5a1g.jpg
thats a 2000 manifold im guessing and mine doesnt have any of those

also
found this http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/im/d16y8vsz6.jpg and my manifold looks just like that it doesnt have the IACVjust like in the picture

so im guessing mine is a 96-98 Automatic manifold??
cause i have an automatic civic LX D16y7 that i would like throw this on is it going to be a direct swap??
Old 04-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this D16y8 manifold from an automatic or manual?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im pretty sure its automatic just as i explained above
Old 04-12-2011, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also do i need to use my Y8 fuel rail with y7 injectors i know i can run just y7 fuel rail w/ injectors but would it be better to do y8 w/ y7 injectors? also i was wondering i saw somewhere that i need to replace the rotor from a y8 throttle body onto my y7 throttlebody
Old 04-13-2011, 01:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Wrona
also do i need to use my Y8 fuel rail with y7 injectors i know i can run just y7 fuel rail w/ injectors but would it be better to do y8 w/ y7 injectors? also i was wondering i saw somewhere that i need to replace the rotor from a y8 throttle body onto my y7 throttlebody
If you're going to use a Y8 manifold, you need to use a Y8 throttlebody... If you don't have a Y8 throttle body, then you need to wait until you get one. However the issue at hand is that I remember Y5 and Y8 throttle bodies don't have a place for the IACV so I have to wonder where the Y8 IACV is placed on the automatic Y8.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

than please explain http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-f...swap-pics.html -_- why does he switch over the throttle body
Old 04-13-2011, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

You probably want to avoid 99-00 IMs that have the fuel injection air intake system.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so let me restate what i was saying... where i dont have questions answered

Can i use my Y7 throttle body if i switch the rotor from the y8 or can i just straight up use the y8 throttlebody
can i use the y8 fuel rail with y7 injectors or do i have to use y7 fuelrail/injectors
what diffrance will it do for me to use a sligthly larger fuel rail
what else do i need for my intake swap so far i have
Full intake manifold i just do not have a y8 throttlebody which i would have to obtain
what else do i need my civic is automatic and im pretty sure that my intake manifold is too
Old 04-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do a little googling. this is the DIY i used for my swap.
http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-f...swap-pics.html

your TB will work, just get a new gasket for your TB and bolt it on.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

y7 and y8 injectors are the same.. doesnt matter which ones you use.. auto y8 TB;s have a 3 wire IACV like the y7 so you wont have to rewire the IACV, just lengthen the wires i believe
Old 04-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the y8 injectors are not thesame
lx 180 cc
ex 240 cc
Old 04-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ReDHaTcHyGuy
y7 and y8 injectors are the same.. doesnt matter which ones you use.. auto y8 TB;s have a 3 wire IACV like the y7 so you wont have to rewire the IACV, just lengthen the wires i believe
dude... look up top to where i posted a link.... does it look like i didnt google
Old 04-14-2011, 01:32 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

ok so let me restate what i was saying... where i dont have questions answered

Can i use my Y7 throttle body if i switch the rotor from the y8 or can i just straight up use the y8 throttlebody
yes you can use the y7 TB if you switch the rotor over from the Y8, if you use a Y8 TB it will HAVE to be from an automatic as well (has the 3 wire IACV)
can i use the y8 fuel rail with y7 injectors or do i have to use y7 fuelrail/injectors
it may run rich with the Y8 injectors, I'm not sure. the Y7 and Y8 fuel rails are identical, even the same honda part number
what diffrance will it do for me to use a sligthly larger fuel rail
its not larger, see answer above, 16620-P2A-000
what else do i need for my intake swap so far i have
might be good to get a new throttle body gasket and intake manifold gasket
Full intake manifold i just do not have a y8 throttlebody which i would have to obtain
what else do i need my civic is automatic and im pretty sure that my intake manifold is too
Old 04-14-2011, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thank you very much now my questions have been answered one mroe which gasket should i get a y8 or y7 or is there no diffrance
Old 04-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is a difference. if you are using a y7 or auto y8 TB you will need the gasket for either (same for both). If you use a manual HX or EX TB you will need its gasket. I ordered the Y7 gasket thinking they were the same when I did my swap. They aren't.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

another question i have is im doing the y7 to y8 mani swap obviously but i cannot find a stupid throttle body its like impossible in my town so i was thinking about picking up this D15 throttle body and swapping the rotor off of that will that work??
Old 04-20-2011, 08:10 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Easiest way to make this work properly:

-'96 - '98 Automatic Y8 manifold
-Automatic Y8 throttle body (Y7 automatic or 5 speed throttlebody should also work, but you may need to change the pulley for the throttle cable)
-Y7 injectors, as already stated they're either 180 or 190cc vs 240cc for Y8 injectors (using Y8/B-series injectors will cause a fuel system too rich/too lean code after while)

You can't use an OBD1 or 5 speed Y5/Y8 throttlebody or you will not have a functioning IACV
Old 04-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not sure if this will help at all, I swapped a manifold from a 99 EX MT into my 96 DX. The IM from the 99 EX had holes for the IACV on the backside of the IM instead of the TB and took a different IACV than the DX had. Since I did not want to spend the $ on a new IACV, I simply used the TB from the DX and plugged the holes in the back of the IM. The TBs are exactly the same, save for the holes for the IACV. On the 99EX there were also A.I.R. holes than ran into the injector ports that needed to be plugged to avoid vacuum leaks. This was easily done with JB Weld. I will take a photo of my setup for you, maybe it will help you out.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, and I used the old injectors from the DX, they fit perfectly.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok none of the respondes you guys gave me answered my question i am using a D15 rotor so im doing the swap rightnow and my stupid friend was doing it with me and he disconnected everything and didn't label it i asked him to do it while i run out and get some lines what the hell he did idk but i tried to ghetto test my car to start and when i start it it automatically just revs up to max rpm and keeps going so i have to shut the car off quick what the hell did i do??
Old 04-20-2011, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so the vaccum leak is gone the car doesnt start though it sounds like it tries but i doesnt idk what else to do i will post a video tomorrow morning or today actually of how it sounds and what its doing like if id have to describe it it sometimes turns on for like .5 of a second and boggs out than wont turn on at all just turns over idk if i plugged in something right but i don't think so what else do i have to do ??

can someone please help me idk how this swap is kicking my *** like this

things ive done put on the pcv valve and coolant lines to my throttle body
hooked up all the wires
fuel rail installed
i think all the lines are connected propperly but idk if they are i will post a vid tomorrow of everything i have in
Old 04-21-2011, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pcv valve doesn't run into the throttle body, it runs directly into the intake manifold from the breather box.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so hold on the PCV valve runs into the bottom plug on the manifold and than the coolant line or whatever thats right above the pcv valve goes into the throttle body and so does the one from the big coolant hose thats down by the main coolant lines right??? so both coolant lines would go into the TB right?
Old 04-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so hold on the PCV valve runs into the bottom plug on the manifold and than the coolant line or whatever thats right above the pcv valve goes into the throttle body and so does the one from the big coolant hose thats down by the main coolant lines right??? so both coolant lines would go into the TB right?
yes, coolant lines run into the throttle body. The PCV valve runs a vacuum line from the black breather box directly into the manifold. Actually the coolant lines run into the IACV which is ON the throttle body. To get to the PCV valve from the top of the engine, with my large hands you have to remove the throttle body, throttle bracket and disconnect some coolant lines before you can reach in and get to the PCV valve.

Quick Reply: Y7 to y8 intake manifold