Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wut is better plz help

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wut is better plz help

i am lookin to buy a hatch but dont know wut is better a full gsr or a ls/vtec if u some 1 could plz help me out with this question i would b verry greatfull ty
Old 03-16-2009, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wut is better plz help

First off please work on your spelling and grammar. This is a technical forum and your question will probably get more responses if it didn't look like it was written by a 13 year old girl from her cell phone...

Secondly it would be impossible for us to tell you without details on both engines. As long as a solid GSR swap was purchased and installed correctly there isn't much room for error or the potential for engine failure... A GSR motor in an EG hatch is a pretty solid combo with limitless options....

LS/Vtec swaps have the potential to make more power but are more prone to failure due to people not building them properly and revving the **** out of them. LS/Vtec setups take more headwork and research to be executed properly. I would not buy a car with one of these engines already in it without a detailed spec sheet from the owner of what has been done to the engine and receipts to prove it...
Old 03-16-2009, 08:04 AM

thank u for your help and i know my spelling is bad i cant spell verry well it my weakness..... so u think just go with a gsr and maby if i was shooting for more power just put a b16 head on or somethin or is that not the same
Old 03-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Putting a b16 head on a GSR block by itself will not gain any more power. If you wanted to go that route, just port the GSR head.

You can really go in a lot of different directions with hondas, it all depends on your budget, mechanical inclination, and determination.

What is your power goal? That should be your first question. If you are cool with having a pretty quick street car than a GSR motor with I/H/E, cams and a tune should do the trick. If you want to hang with much faster cars than you will have to look into some type of forced induction setup. If you want to hang with the big boys (mustangs, corvettes) than you will have to invest some serious money into your ride...
Old 03-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gsr gsr gsr gsr gsr gsr gsr gsr gsr gsr....

ls/vtec is a poor mans GSR... the b18a/b block is not designed for higher rpms needed to keep up with the vtec head
Old 03-16-2009, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by all4bspinnin

ls/vtec is a poor mans GSR... the b18a/b block is not designed for higher rpms needed to keep up with the vtec head
Yeah but it more than makes up for it with bigger displacement.... It is a great setup to run on the street if done right...
Old 03-16-2009, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by all4bspinnin

its actually poor mans type R. built correctly a lsv can work a type R. and when i say built correctly i mean Strength. valves,springs,retainers,headstuds,block gaurd,metal headgasket, the whole 9 yrds. lsv is more expensive with a generally better outcome when it comes to power but if u want a quick drop in,no prob fast car, then GSR.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this threas should be locked solely on the title.
it is too vague.

and a thread that has been covered many times before.
your answers lie within the faq's at the top of the forum.

fyi putting a b16 head on a gsr will actually drop compression, lowering power a little.
the benefit of using the ls, is it astually has a larger stroke than the gsr. not much but with the 84mm and the ls stroke you have a true 2.0