Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

WTF is wrong with my car??? Really bad bogging issue!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF is wrong with my car??? Really bad bogging issue!

First off let me say that my car sucks! I don't know exactly what or how it happened but the other morning I hopped into my car to go to work and as I was waiting at the light the RPM's jumped up to round 1500 then down to like 500 and it almost staled out. The as I started to drive the car felt really sluggish and would have a hard time trying to accelerate. I don't think its the IACV because that would really only make the idle messed up, right? Also I was letting it run in my garage and I noticed that the when the idle would fluctuate, a little bit of water would fly out of the exhaust.

I'm kinda at a loss on what it is because I don't have any check engine lights or anything, and it just happened over night. I don't know if it could be my fuel pump, sensor, injectors, or what...I don't know. So if anybody has any good info that would help, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2007, 01:52 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: WTF is wrong with my car??? Really bad bogging issue! (_Bug_)

do you have any aftermarket parts on the fuel system?
Old 02-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF is wrong with my car??? Really bad bogging issue! (nicko360)

Just the Fuel fliter, but thats it.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The water in the exhaust may just be condensation but look at your radiator fluid overflow container...is it milky or blackened with oil? Check inside the radiator cap as well...do you have any white smoke that's comming from the exhaust? Any overheating? I ask because you want to check to make sure your head gasket is in tact. Now just for your info...my car will sometimes like to bog itself down..specifially if I was going fairly fast and have to come to a quick stop, it will want to drop down a bit but then it fixes itself. When is the last time you changed the fuel filter anyway...could be clogged. For that matter the injectors or pump could be clogged too. I'd say run some injector/fuel system cleaner through the car first..see how that helps it.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF is wrong with my car??? Really bad bogging issue! (bart2546)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bart2546 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The water in the exhaust may just be condensation but look at your radiator fluid overflow container...is it milky or blackened with oil? Check inside the radiator cap as well...do you have any white smoke that's comming from the exhaust? Any overheating? I ask because you want to check to make sure your head gasket is in tact. Now just for your info...my car will sometimes like to bog itself down..specifially if I was going fairly fast and have to come to a quick stop, it will want to drop down a bit but then it fixes itself. When is the last time you changed the fuel filter anyway...could be clogged. For that matter the injectors or pump could be clogged too. I'd say run some injector/fuel system cleaner through the car first..see how that helps it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I checked the overflow tank and that looks fine. Also about two weeks before this happend I use some Honda Top Engine Cleaner, and I ran some injector cleaner through as well, so I'm pretty sure its not that. I do need to change my fuel filter, but other than that I can't think of anyting else. I'm really worried that it might have something to do with my seals because I think I'm burning oil becasue it has a really strong smell whenever I come to a stop.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:39 AM

did you bottom out lately,
maybe you crushed your cat a bit, and its clogging the system up.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:57 AM

you did change your oil after using the top engine cleaner, right?:

my car does this aswell, and its REALLY bad sometimes.

in 5th gear, going 60-80mph+ i can floor it, and the RPMS DO NOT MOVE. seriously i can hold it at WOT all day, it wont budge.

but then i let off the gas, and it leaps forwards.

check for a crimped wire somewhere, timing, ignition. dont think its a clogged cat, because i had the same issue with a test pipe.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:00 PM

fuel
Old 02-07-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Re: (allricedout)

well i sorta had the same issue with my civic. my problem wuz there was a bogg at 2800rpm ended up being my tps was wired wrong then when we got that fixed a couple months later i was bogging again and it was the fuel pump starting to go hope this helps
Old 02-07-2007, 03:02 PM

yea but cant you listen to the fuel pumps tone, to find out if its struggling? my fuel pressure is good, so i dunno........
Old 02-07-2007, 03:04 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (YoungKadafi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YoungKadafi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you did change your oil after using the top engine cleaner, right?:
</TD></TR></TABLE>

DID YOU?
Old 02-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tha_badguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tha_badguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

DID YOU?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes of course. Well today I took off my fuel filter and cleaned it out, its an aftermarket cleanable kind, and now it seems to be running much better. Still when I first started it up afterwards it was a little jumpy but I just think it was because the gas had to get cycled back through or whatever you call it. I also cleaned out my IACV just incase that was the probelm, so I hope what I did helps. Its still smells bad, but it always has because my cat is gutted. so hopefully I have no more problems because I'm trying to go snowboarding in the morning and I need my car. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-07-2007, 03:52 PM

how do you pass smog with a gutted cat?

and ive never used honda top engine cleaner, so yea
Old 02-08-2007, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (YoungKadafi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YoungKadafi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how do you pass smog with a gutted cat?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've got a inside connection at the DMV.

Anyways I guess I spoke too soon because it started acting funny again. Last night when I was driving home from school it was top notch and felt stronger than ever. Then this morning as I'm cruisin up to the mountains its starts tripin again. This is really frustrating because I cant sem to figure out what the hell is going on.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:43 AM

welcome to the club.

do you have an OEM intake on there? if not, put that back on, see if that helps, it did for me alot
Old 02-08-2007, 10:18 AM

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND I GOT SOME SEAFOAM FROM MY LOCAL PART SHOP. I PUT IT IN MY CRANK CASE, GAS TANK, BRAKE BOOSTER, AND CLUTCH MASTER AND MADE EVERTHING IN MY CAR RUN LIKE NEW. TRY IT BUT YOU DONT HAVE TO PUT IT IN EVERYTHING I DID.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i suggest changing your fuel filter.....as i have said a thousand times on this board.

no fuel means no go
Old 02-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would replace the dizzy thats what my friends problem was runs fine now. I wouldn't recommend seafoam I used the recommended amount and my motor threw a rod. Using seafoam is basically like putting water in your motor. But feel free.