Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

wtf sounds like running on 3 cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wtf sounds like running on 3 cylinders

okay i am gettin frustraided, i changed spark plugs, wires, dizzy. and it still boggs bad and power loss....i did comp test all cylinders where great please some one help me out this has been going like this for a week its a very stress full thing right now
Old 03-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wtf sounds like running on 3 cylinders

Check your fuel injector...they might b clog or might have wire problem...my brothers civic used to do that...took it to the track...ran 15.5's on all 4 cylinder and 15.9's on 3 cylinder...kinda funny tho sometimes it wants to run on 4 cylinder and sometime on 3 cylinder
Old 03-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol i dont think its that cuz i lose alot of power and it boggs real bad but ill look
Old 03-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not injectors
Old 03-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any body please i am stuck
Old 03-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id say check timing
Old 03-28-2009, 07:11 PM
New User

check the distributor cap, make sure it's not corroded to hell inside.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:13 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

do u have a chipped ecu?
Old 03-28-2009, 07:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

if so check ur jumper, my buddys SI did this once
Old 03-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

HAD same problem but dif cars, on my 240 it was one of the injectors that went bad, and then my celica it wass the dizzy. i drove on three cyclinders with the celi and my **** sounded like a subbie lol, people actually wanted to race me haha but the 240 kept shutting off after a certain abuse of gasing, does the car shut off @ any point while driving or just putters?
Old 03-28-2009, 09:02 PM

which engine do you have?
Old 03-29-2009, 03:20 AM

Could be an exhaust leak you're not noticing and also check your belt timing
Old 03-29-2009, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nothin with dizzy. or cap noting with fuel nothing with compresion its all 180, some one told me it timing and it prob. skipped a few teeth
Old 03-29-2009, 03:11 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

my buddys Si sounded JUST like our friends STI
and funny thing was we r driving about 100 miles that day when it started runnin bad and we were with the kid with the STI LOL
Old 03-29-2009, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the fuel pump. My friends 240sx had that problem.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:43 PM

My son's 1995 Honda has been sluggish so my husband and him changed the spark plugs a couple weeks ago. It was still a little sluggish and since he is leaving for vacation tomorrow (about 150 miles away) I made him take it to the garage and have it looked at. The guy said there is no compression in cylinder 2. My son has been driving this car for the last few weeks and no problems other than being a little sluggish. He insists on driving it to where he is going tomorrow. My question is should he or will it die on him or what will happen. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dedee48
My son's 1995 Honda has been sluggish so my husband and him changed the spark plugs a couple weeks ago. It was still a little sluggish and since he is leaving for vacation tomorrow (about 150 miles away) I made him take it to the garage and have it looked at. The guy said there is no compression in cylinder 2. My son has been driving this car for the last few weeks and no problems other than being a little sluggish. He insists on driving it to where he is going tomorrow. My question is should he or will it die on him or what will happen. Thanks.
No compression at all? I wouldn't risk it.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:38 PM

he said no compression so I would guess that means none at all. Can you tell me so I can show my son what will happens if he tries to drive it 150 miles. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it has no compression, it could be a few things. The most likley is a valve bent/burnt in the head.
When that cylinder gets fuel, the piston can't compress the air/fuel mixture, so when the sparkplug ignites it, pretty much nothing happens and you get zero power from that cylinder.

Now, he probably will be fine driving it and nothing happen. I don't know exactly what could happen to the engine to kill it all together that would be related to it. It most likley will just drive like crap and get bad gas mileage, but 150 miles is about 2.5-3 hours away depending on how you drive. I personally wouldn't want to risk a 300 mile trip.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:02 PM

You mean 300 miles because he might make it the 150 miles there but might not make it back? He really is insisting on driving it. Like I said he's been driving it back and forth to work for a few weeks, on the expressway etc. Also is the below that you mentioned fixable as the mechanic told him he needs a new car.

"The most likley is a valve bent/burnt in the head."
Old 07-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also is the below that you mentioned fixable as the mechanic told him he needs a new car.
It sounds to me like this "mechanic" is really just a douche with no mechanical inclination posing as a mechanic. Is he a "mechanic" at one of those shops that also has a used car lot in front of it?

Anything can be fixed. The important first step is narrowing down exactly what the problem is. You just wouldn't want to go to do some valve work, spend the money fixing that just to find that was only a fraction of the problem and say the cylinder wall is scarred causing loss of compression.

If it is indeed getting zero compression in the #2 cyl then I wouldn't drive it at least until this can be verified. I'd take it to a different mechanic if you all aren't auto repair savvy yourselves.

From here I would first do a leak-down test on the motor to see if I could get any more detailed results as to what the problem might be. Depending on the mileage of the motor and these results I'd go from there. If the motor has higher mileage and the results are very bad or inconclusive I would simply look for a low-mileage used motor. You can find D15B motors that literally drop right in your sons 95 Civic for like $550 on e-bay, shipping included.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:48 PM

No used car lot...I told my son to get a second opinion but he is adamant about leaving tomorrow. My husband can do the basic auto things, but nothing like this. I tried looking for a motor on Ebay but I only saw one and it was $1500. What do you think about him driving it tomorrow? He is driving it now to work.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok lilshady this is what i can tell you i highly doubt its the timing if you got 180's across the board on the compression test. if the timing was off you'd have some funny compression test results. From what you describe it sounds like its the TPS that's giving the trouble. My reasoning is when you step on the gas the TPS could be sending the ecu the wrong information. The TPS could be telling the ecu that your are at closed throttle when really your at WOT and therefore you wont be getting the right amount of fuel to your engine. Sounds crazy but i've seen it happen twice in the past month.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No used car lot...I told my son to get a second opinion but he is adamant about leaving tomorrow. My husband can do the basic auto things, but nothing like this. I tried looking for a motor on Ebay but I only saw one and it was $1500. What do you think about him driving it tomorrow? He is driving it now to work.
You should look for a used "D15B" or "D16Z6" motor.

http://www.google.com/product_url?q=...hl=en&sa=title

I found one there for $500 but this one is plus shipping. I can't access e-bay from my government computer so I had to look this up on my BlackBerry. But there are a bunch of them out there.

As for driving it 150 miles, it should be OK if it is just "a little sluggish" as you said. Now if its smoking like crazy from the muffler, burning oil, overheating etc I wouldn't recommend it. Also consider your son's commute to work is a short trip, 150 miles isn't that far but if the vehicle is only driven on short trips to and from work and hasn't been on any longer trips this drive could bring out the issues.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dedee48, I understand you are just trying to figure out the problem with your sons car and this post lilshady put up was titled similar to the problem he is having. But we've kind of "post jacked" this from lilshady.

The best way to get lots of eyes on would be to start your own post with a descriptive title and as much details as possible in the message, that way we can help you out even better.

Quick Reply: wtf sounds like running on 3 cylinders