Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

WTF psychotic steering WTF

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF psychotic steering WTF

setup:

drivers outer tie rod end has been busted for a little while now and finally the bushing snapped today. nobody was hurt. cool. thanks to a friend w\ a vehicle i could borrow i went to honda, bought a new one, and put it on. it needs an alignment. axles are not clicking, ticking, grinding nor are there any other signs of a bad, worn or damaged axle.

problem:

prior to the tie rod end breaking completely (1hr) i was coming down the interstate going 80ish and heard and FELT a very pronounced vibration coming from the drivers side wheel\hub. so much so that i pulled over immediately thinking that i had a flat. when i got back on the road the steering wheel went apeshit, violently jerking from left to right. it wasnt going down without a fight.

now the thing is, is that it onlt does this when i touch the throttle. this is what got me thinking axle. so i did some full turn figure 8's when i got home and everything seems fine. i replaced the tie rod end. and its still fighting me. so i figured hey maybe its the toe(car has had major toe in). so i broke out the level and adjusted the best i could w\o going to the shop. the steering wheel was at a 45 to the left, now it is dead nuts straight. and it still does it.

someone lmk what i need to look for\expect. this is my daily driver. it will see an alignment soon but i need to figure this out b4 hand. sorry for the length. good day.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:29 PM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: WTF psychotic steering WTF (THE D.J.)

Could be wheel bearing, that could cause that. Jack the car up in the air on the drivers side and see if the wheel rocks back and forth. Obviously make sure the other side is securely on the ground.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:39 PM

Default Re: WTF psychotic steering WTF (JDM_Ej)

nah wheel is secure. tried that. but thanks for your input no ****.

btw. be careful when ******* with your toe..... wrench slipped and im no doctor, but at this point i am ready to say i have a broken hand

bump for info yo

omgopnna run it by some frinds' shop tomorrow but i dont want to die ont he interstate or anything trying to get there. need a solution yo
Old 09-02-2005, 03:31 AM

help
Old 09-02-2005, 04:32 AM

Default Re: (THE D.J.)

im sure it had a real lot to do with your tie rod end being bad
your left wheel was toeing out when decelerating and toeing in when accelerating
why dont you try driving it around the block when you get your tie rod end fixed
problem will probably be fixed
Old 09-02-2005, 08:20 AM

Default Re: (jdmturbosol)

the new tie rod end is already on. it didnt help ****
Old 09-02-2005, 10:14 AM

did you check the ball joints? my civic did this when it was my sisters car. it would pull one way when accelerating, then yank back the other way off throttle. replaced the lower ball joint on the drivers side, and it stopped.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: (rabius)

ball joints are fine. it has all of the symptoms of a wheel bearing except for the noise. i can get a full conversion for the price of wheel bearings plus press labor. so thats what i think i am going to do. conversion with good bearing + new balljoints i have in garage=