Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

WTF happened to my cam timing?!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF happened to my cam timing?!!

I reuilt and swapped in a B16a2 into a '92 CX HB.

I started the car, which it did without any problems, and took it to a local tuner shop for a welding exhaust job.

After the job was done, the car would not start. Not the dizzy problem, not the ground problem, etc.

After the inspection of the timing, I noticed this with my cam. This is how the tick mark lined up. This is a photochop of how it looks like:

Notice the tick mark(in red). They're facing away from each other. as if both of them were exhaust cams, instead of facing each other.

How did this happen?

Modified by VWkila at 7:50 PM 8/22/2005

Modified by VWkila at 7:51 PM 8/22/2005

Modified by VWkila at 7:55 PM 8/22/2005
Old 08-22-2005, 03:36 PM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: WTF happened to my cam timing?!! (VWkila)

Um, I dont think something like that can just "happen"... thats an odd one. Hope noone beat on your car and broke something, cause that could definatley cause some damage...
Old 08-22-2005, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF happened to my cam timing?!! (JDM_Ej)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_Ej &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Um, I dont think something like that can just "happen"... thats an odd one. Hope noone beat on your car and broke something, cause that could definatley cause some damage...</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I think. How could a car start in the first place like this?

This is the same shop that charged me $200 to weld on a KTELLER exhaust.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:59 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Default Re: WTF happened to my cam timing?!! (JDM_Ej)

If you take off the cams they will have markings IN for intake EX for exhaust. Yeah these parts couldn't just install themselves. I see both up marks are indeed up, so do you think you have 2 exhaust cams or 2 intake cams in there? I doubt it would have run good at all if this was the case. No CEL keeping it from starting? Ground on thermostat housing all good?
Old 08-22-2005, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF happened to my cam timing?!! (HondaFanatic708)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you take off the cams they will have markings IN for intake EX for exhaust. Yeah these parts couldn't just install themselves. I see both up marks are indeed up, so do you think you have 2 exhaust cams or 2 intake cams in there? I doubt it would have run good at all if this was the case. No CEL keeping it from starting? Ground on thermostat housing all good?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not the ground. There is a cel for O2 censor.

Would the engine start in the first place it was both intake or exhaust cams?
Old 08-22-2005, 04:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VWkila &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's not the ground. There is a cel for O2 censor.

Would the engine start in the first place it was both intake or exhaust cams?</TD></TR></TABLE>Well it may start but all it would do is bend the **** out of the valves the cam didn't belong in. IE intake valves if the intake side had an exhaust cam. Not only are the cam profiles different they are in a sense backwards since they are both rotating in the same direction but are open at different phases of the stroke. Probably a little confusing but it makes sense, just couldn't figure out any other way to quickly get the point across. I really don't think this is the case..
Old 08-22-2005, 04:12 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the photo you posted, the cam timing looks fine to me.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF happened to my cam timing?!! (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From the photo you posted, the cam timing looks fine to me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, the red ticks should be aligned? Facing each other?
Old 08-22-2005, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id do a compression check, make sure your not gonna do more damage before you start messing with it. id also use a timing gun to make sure you didnt jump a tooth..
Old 08-22-2005, 04:20 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VWkila &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Actually, the red ticks should be aligned? Facing each other?</TD></TR></TABLE>But then one would have the up mark up and the other one would be down. There are actually tick marks on both sides, 2 in the middle to help line **** up and 2 on the outside because there is a line on the rear cover to also help with alignment.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF happened to my cam timing?!! (ThatsMyEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ThatsMyEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">id do a compression check, make sure your not gonna do more damage before you start messing with it. id also use a timing gun to make sure you didnt jump a tooth..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did the compression check already. It's all in spec.

Can't do the timing gun, 'cause the engine don't start!

It's not just simple missing tooth! Look at the picture, how could those red ticks aligh?
Old 08-22-2005, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But then one would have the up mark up and the other one would be down. There are actually tick marks on both sides, 2 in the middle to help line **** up and 2 on the outside because there is a line on the rear cover to also help with alignment.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh, ****! You're right.

Let me check this again.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:25 PM

The key is having the UP mark up, those red ticks don't have anything to do with it really. There are (or at least should be) a groove on each side of the cam gear face. These along with the UP mark is what you use to align the cams to TDC. If all else fails you could always slide a small screw driver into the hole on the cam plate and it will slide into the cam if it is at TDC.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:26 PM
Darth ModerVader

The cam pulleys have 3 basic marks. There is one tick mark at roughly 9:00, the "UP" mark at 12:00, and another tick mark at approximately 3:00. The two "UP" marks should be at the top, and the 3:00 mark on the exhaust side should align with the 9:00 mark on the intake side.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The cam pulleys have 3 basic marks. There is one tick mark at roughly 9:00, the "UP" mark at 12:00, and another tick mark at approximately 3:00. The two "UP" marks should be at the top, and the 3:00 mark on the exhaust side should align with the 9:00 mark on the intake side. </TD></TR></TABLE>Maybe if we say it all one more time it might sink in, LMFAO..

I can only type the same thing so much...
Old 08-22-2005, 04:32 PM
95DxSi-R2

This is the same shop that charged me $200 to weld on a KTELLER exhaust. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Deffenit
Old 08-22-2005, 04:34 PM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe if we say it all one more time it might sink in, LMFAO..</TD></TR></TABLE>

We'll see...