Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

WSA's EJ1 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:15 PM
WSA
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WSA's EJ1 Build Thread

After owning my civic for a few years I have decided I should start making a build/progress thread to share and to keep record of things I have done/plans.
It all started when I was driving a completely riced out 92 coupe. Found a super clean coupe up at my cabin and I bought it. Unfortunately it was automatic but I knew that wasn't going to last long. Here's how it looked when i first got it.

Started off buy swapping in a B18C1 and converting to manual. Blew the motor twice and decided it was time for a new motor. The first time I spun a bearing had a good shop rebuild it and i spun another bearing?

And it Begins....

So i bought this 95 GSR with a JDM B18c1 freshly purchased from HMO 1 month before I bought it. The guy was getting deployed and wanted to get rid of it so he sold it to me for $2000. The chassis is in terrible condition and im not much of a fan of the integra body's so the motor, rear brakes, wheels and suspension are going on the civic.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:32 PM
WSA
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WSA's EJ1 Build Thread

I wish I could find some more pictures of the prior work i have done but they seemed to have went missing.
Well I got the motor out and degreased the engine bay. Such a pain in the butt to do in a small apartment garage with no electricity.

I moved out of my apartment, I was looking for a house but couldn't close on one in time befor my lease was up. So my girlfriend and I moved in with my parents into there townhome till I found a house.

Towed my car up to are cabin and drove the integra up there to start swapping the motor.

Got the motor in the car and running overnight.

Put on a cleaner valve vover i had laying around until I paint the JDM one.

Put the new wheels on the car. Now i just have to get the rear brakes and suspension on it so it stops looking like a damn hot wheels car.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looking good so far
Old 02-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice, car came a long way. Currently my Civic is auto. I'm just thinking it's too much of a pain to swap. If I found a complete car like you did, it would probably be easier.

Good luck with the build. It's in really nice shape.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:21 PM
WSA
Honda-Tech Member

Alright we are almost caught up to the current state of the car.
In the mean time, I bought myself a new house for the girl and I. Pretty good feeling to own my first house at 20.

First investment for the Garage. Gets cold in the garage in the winter and I have too much work to get done.

Got the rear end of the Integra all pulled apart.

Then i got the rear end of the civic all out. Looks pretty wierd with nothing back there.

Had to replace the RTA bushings that were completely shredded, went with energy suspension(I know, I know they squeak and wear out) Boy they were a pain in the *** to put in. also replaced the compensator arms that were completely seized plus I got a little carried away with the torch. But I got everything in.

Figured since I had most of the interior out to get at the ebrake cables I might as well take the rest out and get the sound deadening out. I will be putting all of the interior back in. Just figured since i'm this far lets get a little weight out. I turned the heat off in the garage and let the car sit for a day and all of the sound deadening came out with my bare hands.

Here is how it looks after its all back together. Hard to get a good picture due to crammed garage till i get this GSR towed to the scrap yard. It's not super slammed or anything but deffinately looks alot cleaner/better.

I will try to get some better pictures of how it looks this weekend. Heres a quick pic of both the cars in the garage

Started pulling the head apart to replace the head gasket. The motor was burning a little coolant and a little oil in the coolant at the end of the summer. Never overheated so I'm not worried about the head warping at all. But i will still have it checked This is far as I got tonight, need to rent a crank pulley remover tool to get any further.

More to come soon!
Old 02-13-2013, 01:25 PM
WSA
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by furious94ls
Very nice, car came a long way. Currently my Civic is auto. I'm just thinking it's too much of a pain to swap. If I found a complete car like you did, it would probably be easier.

Good luck with the build. It's in really nice shape.
Thanks, It actually is not very hard at all to do the manual conversion. The first motor I put in the car i bought in peices. It took a while to get all the parts for the swap but it's much easier than you would expect.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:17 PM
WSA
Honda-Tech Member

Got the head pulled off tonight. Went really smooth.

Not much carbon on the pistons that was nice to see.

I dont know much about valves and what not hoping someone can tell me why the exhaust valves in 2 and 3 are white. I dont burn oil so I wasn't planning on replacing seals or anything. Let me know what you think.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like it's going well
Old 02-14-2013, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WSA
I dont know much about valves and what not hoping someone can tell me why the exhaust valves in 2 and 3 are white. I dont burn oil so I wasn't planning on replacing seals or anything. Let me know what you think.
Burnt coolant just coated on?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:18 AM
WSA
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Emeraldbomber
Burnt coolant just coated on?
Thats what I was thinking. The head gakset may have been leaking coolant into just those cylinders causing the white build up. Checked the head for straightness and it is perfect. Hopefully I will be getting it back on in a day or 2.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:21 AM
WSA
Honda-Tech Member

Well, Finally got my ARP head studs and my new knock sensor. Damn knock sensors are always breaking on me they get so fragile.

got my new water pump and timing belt tensioner put on and put the headstuds in and layed on the head gasket. All oem parts besides ARP Head Studs.

Hooked my head up to my cherry picker and got it on in one swift motion. It went really smooth, snapped right into the dowels.

Got the head torqued down to 80ft/lbs as per ARP instructions. Thats where I stopped for the night, had a 12 hour day at work so you could say I was a little tired. Going to head up north for the weekend to do some snowmobiling. Should have more updates shortly after!

Old 02-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

love the thread so far and 20 with a house thats what im trying to do.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good start man in for the build
Old 02-22-2013, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice coupe, what are your plans for it
Old 02-23-2013, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

agreed i am loving where this is going gl!
Old 02-23-2013, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks good so far!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:59 AM
WSA
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rawrxdino8
nice coupe, what are your plans for it
Going for a Clean OEM look. As for the engine, nothing special this year but I plan to sleeve the block after this summer and then turbo it.

Got some more work done last night. got the cams in, timing in check, and all of the hoses and wires back were they should be.

Tied up a few odds and ends here and there, Stripped my valve cover and painted it wrinkle black, It was finally worthy of my brand new OEM spark plug cover with all new nuts. I have had it for like a year and never used it cause it didnt fit my old tenzo R cover. Here is how it all looks now. Just need a new PCV Valve which I am getting today and I finally get to start her up again.

Next Task: Rear Brakes
Old 02-27-2013, 08:20 AM
Trial User

Great build!

I like where this is going.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:11 AM
WSA
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DC2Haze
Great build!

I like where this is going.
Thanks!

Picked my new PCV valve up on my lunch break, She fired right up. Just gotta get my timing light on it and i'm done under the hood.