Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wrecked my car...now what?

Old 10-07-2004, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrecked my car...now what?

I rear ended a van on my lunch break earlier this week. Car is a 95 Civic Ex coupe. I have full coverage, and my agent said to take it to my prefered shop and get it fixed, and they would pay minus the deductible. Damage is as follows, following my quick visual inspection: front bumper, hood, headlights, corners, and both fenders will need replaced. Possibly more. I cant get the hood open, but car was drivable from wreck. Its pretty bad.

My question is regarding the parts. I have always wanted a carbon fiber hood, and I almost bought one in the weeks preceeding my wreck. So now that my hood is shot, I have the chance.

Can I get a carbon fiber hood insted of a new replacement hood? Maybe some amber jdm stly corners? I am thinking that a JDMSHIT.com cf hood has to be equal to or less than the price the shop will charge for the oem hood + painting. JDM amber corners cant be any more than OEM Honda USDM corners. Also how do I make sure they use OEM Honda parts for the rest? Can I request this, or is this up to my insurance Co.?

How would I go about asking about this? Has any one else delt with this? This is my first wreck so i'm kinda in the dark how this thing works.

Any comments/experience much appriciated
Old 10-07-2004, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Wrecked my car...now what? (variable)

you have to replace all of that stuff and you didnt have any frame damage? i despise you! when i wrecked my coupe the insurance company just totaled it out
Old 10-07-2004, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wrecked my car...now what? (Chris M)

I don't know yet....estimates come tomarrow...i'm scared...a friend said i can buy my car back from the insurance co. for $200 if they total it....is this true? I love my car, it runs great and was in perfect shape....i'm just worried that because of the age the may total it
Old 10-07-2004, 05:33 PM

shitty deal man, hope everything turns out ok and your insurance doesn't go sky rocket. that's what i would be worried about.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (T-Racer)

Thats another thing i'm worried about This week sucks
Old 10-07-2004, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (variable)

i had the same kinda accident, it only cost me $1300 to get new hood, bumper, grill and lights and to get painted...i rear eneded a van with a metal bumper
Old 10-07-2004, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92 EG6)

Exactly what happened...it hit a 96 GMC van at VERY slow speed...just a small scuff on the bumper of the van, but when i saw my car i almost cried
Old 10-07-2004, 05:57 PM

It's going to be totalled.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Six_Inches_Of_fun)

If it is...then what? Getting worried
Old 10-07-2004, 06:09 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by variable &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If it is...then what? Getting worried </TD></TR></TABLE>

Buy it back, buy all the cosmetic parts you need, buy a new core support and have it welded on and get back on the road.

Then again, you said low speed. How low are we talking? 10mph probably didn't bend up your frame too bad. If you drove it away, the radiator must have been intact, so it probably didn't **** up your sides. The core support can be redone. Just buy it back and have it fixed .

EDIT: and the price you pay to get your car back from insurance depends on the company. Just because your friend Joe got his back for $200 doesn't mean yours can be had for that little. My brother had to pay $1000 for his unfixable 1994 GSR sedan.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the car paid for?
If so I think they just give you a check.
Just need to get appraise by a shop. find a expensive shop.
And if it cost more than the car worth... Then they going to Junk it.
Average hatch is about 2-4K.
Most like they going to junk it.
You could buy it back. and fix it with the left over money.
Price of buying it back depends on what the they think they could sell it to a Junk yard.
my friend 99 SI was 2k to buy back from Insurance.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:27 PM
Multi-paradigm

Default Re: (92 EG6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92 EG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had the same kinda accident, it only cost me $1300 to get new hood, bumper, grill and lights and to get painted...i rear eneded a van with a metal bumper</TD></TR></TABLE>

Holy **** dude you got ripped off a little bit.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (shawn_crx)

first of all...its not as bad as you think...couldve been alot worse...just be lucky you're not paying for that guys van and injuries outta ur pocket...who cares if your insurance goes up, shouldve been paying attention... (not being a dick...i've got rear-ended before so i know it sucks)

what you can do, like others said before:

Buy back your car. Which is the FIRST thing you should do if you don't have another car to use...that'll be dumb if your insurance says its totalled and gives you 4k for your car and calls it a day. Even if they do, the deductables not gonna kill you...you're still gonna have over 1k of money left over to spend to FIX your car or BUY a new one.

Second, if your insurance WANTS to fix ur car, after places YOU'VE been to get it estimated...(if you know anyone who works at a bodyshop, this is where they'd come in) make sure you go to a nice good expensive shop, that way they'd give ur insurance a higher quote, but also say it's very fixable.

Lastly...it's NOT up to ur insurance company whether or not you get a CF hood or not...it's up to the bodyshop putting together your car...whatever they order...is what you get...*usually stock items*(again...where your buddy at the bodyshop steps in )

Good Luck.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wrecked my car...now what?

That totally sucks man. Hope everything works out