Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

wow, runnin car w/o oil :/

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wow, runnin car w/o oil :/

Ummm wow i feel like a dumbass. So i was doin a radiator flush and one of the engine block drain plugs is supposedly right next to the oil filter so i just decided to change my oil well doing the radiator flush to. anyways oil drained and ****, but still couldnt find the coolant drain plug...it is definately not where the haynes manual pictures it... so anyways continue on with the flush get to the point where i have to start the car and i do...w/o any oil. genious. so it ran probably for 30 seconds before i realized how stupid i am. it never got to hot or anything but does anyone have any idea the damage done to my engine?

moral of the story: dont do two things at once.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: wow, runnin car w/o oil :/ (jaxle)

Add the oil, is it making any funny noises?
Old 08-29-2003, 06:27 PM

oh yea i finished the job and it runs... makes knocking sounds but it always has, i need to adjust my valves. im not sure if its running worse than it was before, but in my paranoid mind now it doesn't sound all that great

btw anyone who hasnt done a radiator flush and they are going to, wow they are fuggin messy and it takes forever...
Old 08-29-2003, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jaxle)

you should be fine...just don't do it again.

honda motors

get a valve adjustment.

-Sketch
Old 08-29-2003, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jaxle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

moral of the story: dont do two things at once.</TD></TR></TABLE>

bottom line, MEN CANT MULTI-TASK!

did NO one see dilbert?
Old 08-29-2003, 08:03 PM

Default Re: wow, runnin car w/o oil :/ (JUN EK9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JUN EK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">moral of the story: dont do two things at once.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Ahahahahahahaha anit that the truth! I just cant seem to wack it and look at **** its all was one or the other!
Old 08-29-2003, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wow, runnin car w/o oil :/ (Phastnphun)

my auto teacher did this in his NSX. But he forgot to check if the little rubber o ring thats on the oil filter had come off before he put the new oil filter on. Car ran for 30-45 seconds and he shut it off. You should be good.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wow, runnin car w/o oil :/ (Happyman)

i'd be willing to bet that you did some rod bearing damage. it might not catch up with you now but it will down the road. i had a rx-7 that i took to get the oil changed and the car washed cause i was going out of town at the last moment and didn't have time to do it myself. well anyways they started the car without any oil in it (my sweet change race motor). well a year later it spun a bearing. i have had atleast 8 rx-7's before that that i beat on allot harder and nothing happened to them. my friend had a 98 ex and he took it to firestone to get the oil changed. the plug fell out and the oil light came on. he shut it off as soon as the light came on and put the plug back in and put oil in it. 6 months later his motor went as well. another freind in his 98 ex ran his car low on oil, the oil light came on, added oil. 2 months later it spun a bearing. then 6 months later he did the same thing in his girls 98 stratus 2.4 liter and it spun a bearing about a week later.

i'd play it safe if you can and atleast change out the rod bearings if you can afford to. bearing should be less that $100 and it should take a good days worth or maybe a weekend to do. but i'd do it to be safe.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: wow, runnin car w/o oil :/ (FMIDRC Racer)

last time i did a swap and forgot to put oil in and drove around the block my bearings seized up on me as well and cams. motor was trashed...and i bashed myself continously for that...
Old 08-30-2003, 07:34 AM

ugh, i have no money or time :/ lets just hope my engine holds up till next summer when i will have sum time and money.
Old 08-30-2003, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I drove a honda 50 miles at 65mph with no oil pressure before it blew up.

But at the same time
Old 08-30-2003, 07:51 AM

Default Re: wow, runnin car w/o oil :/ (HXMan)

A lady came to work one day and asked me if I could check her oil. I check it, and NOTHING shows up on the dipstick. I put a quart in, and it barelys registers on the dipstick, so I put two and a half more quarts in I think, something like that I think.. and it was at full. I asked her how long ago did she check her oil she said she never has but she had it changed a week ago and since then her oil light has been coming on. Im assuming she drove it that long with almost no oil... -damn-. Still ran though
Old 08-30-2003, 08:21 AM

Default Re: wow, runnin car w/o oil :/ (Syzle)

Ive always been told that once your oil light comes on, the damage has been done...it doesnt matter if you immediatly shut the motor off, there was damage. The longer the light is on obviously the more damage....
Old 08-30-2003, 08:30 AM

well i guess ill just keep you all posted and we can find out if it really does hurt your engine or not...yay...
Old 08-30-2003, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i know its the wrong forum but i got an accord but my oil light come on like every other month. yes i change my oil every 3k miles. i think my car just burns alot of oil. will my car be okay. i mean as soon as i see the light come on i always stop and add more oil.i always have extra oil cuz of this reason. so will a bearing go out on my car also in the future?
Old 08-30-2003, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think the coolant drain plug you were looking for is behind the exhaust manifold, on the other side of the engine.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:53 AM

Default Re: wow, runnin car w/o oil :/ (MLogan)

I know, i used that one, but there is supposedly two according to haynes, one behind the exhaust manifold and one right next to the oil filter...**** u haynes!!

and those newbs at valvoline stripped my oil pan drain bolt (back when i didnt do it myself) so i also replaced that....grr, not a good day :/
Old 08-30-2003, 09:33 AM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn , i cant believe people have forgot to put oil in their cars . thats just insane..... when you mod ur car with new rims , roll cages , motors , turbos , nos , somtimes you forget about the little things.....i guess
Old 08-30-2003, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wow, runnin car w/o oil :/ (TURSpoonEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TURSpoonEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn , i cant believe people have forgot to put oil in their cars . thats just insane..... when you mod ur car with new rims , roll cages , motors , turbos , nos , somtimes you forget about the little things.....i guess</TD></TR></TABLE>
I was just thinking the same thing..sometimes its helpful to have someboyd who doesnt know as much about it to ask stupid ?s! Ex. Did you put oil back in it???
Old 08-30-2003, 10:30 AM

Ive been driving around for weeks with my oil light on, there is no oil showing on the dipstick either. I cant kill my d15. *Im purposefully trying to kill the engine because im getting a swap.
Old 08-30-2003, 10:34 AM

Default Re: (jdm_kue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm_kue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i know its the wrong forum but i got an accord but my oil light come on like every other month </TD></TR></TABLE>
so why dont you check it every week or so? you need a light to remind you that your car burns a lot of oil