Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Would this be worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would this be worth it?

Ok, I'm looking for an opinion on this.

There's a 92 Prelude Si for sale up the street, looks like it got hit pretty hard from behind and I'd be surprised if you could drive the car legally. But it's all back end damage, which means the engine is fine. I haven't gotten a chance to get under the hood yet, but I was wondering if it would be a good idea (being i get a good deal price wise) to swap the engine (probably H23A1) out with my D16Y8. I'm driving a 97 Civic EX. Swapping is not the issue, my father's a Honda mechanic and has everything I could possibly need to do so at his bay.

What I want to know is would anyone here think that it would be worth it, or should I pass and see if something better comes along?
Old 08-20-2005, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Would this be worth it? (SovXietday)

Well it depends on what you want to do with the car. i've heard that a lude engine in a civic is not only a huge weight gain but also the tranny isn't mean't for fast acceleration. So it would suck at Auto Xing. But maybe with a final drive or something. I really don't know what I'm talking about thats just what I have read and heard. good luck
Old 08-20-2005, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would this be worth it? (Fatchance187)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fatchance187 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well it depends on what you want to do with the car. i've heard that a lude engine in a civic is not only a huge weight gain but also the tranny isn't mean't for fast acceleration. So it would suck at Auto Xing. But maybe with a final drive or something. I really don't know what I'm talking about thats just what I have read and heard. good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mis-info-mation! If you dont KNOW or have a good idea about what your posting, dont post. The weight of the H22 has been well documented because of people who post what they 'know', like you. Plus, which tranny is better equiped for acceleration, a EX civic or a Prelude?

To the creator, search the FAQ and it will tell you the advantages/disadvantages of the H22 series. If you get it for a good price and your father has the time and the know-how it would be a great investment. You'd get comparable performance to a B18C, have better displacement and its only about 33 more Lbs. than a B18. Go to http://www.hmotorsonline.com and if you can get it for cheaper than you can buy it there, then buy the car.

Oh, btw, if your concerned about it being legal, that swap would be 50 state illegal so that might weigh into your decision
Old 08-20-2005, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would this be worth it? (FuNkDrSpOt)

Eh... I didn't know it was illegal... not that any cop is going to look under my hood though either.

Like I said, unless the engine was swapped it's probably an H23A1, which if I'm not mistaken is 40hp less than the H22 series. 156lbs of torque though, which is pretty damn good.

Thanks for the info! I read the FAQ, didn't help me as the H23 swap is so friggin rare. Any other opinions? I think I'm gonna look at this car on Monday, it's not going anywhere, I dont even think it can lol.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Still, everything that you need to put in the H22, you need for the H23, mounts, axles, all that ****. Consider that first.

**** auto cross anyway, ****** 1st and 2nd gear bullshit.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:19 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Would this be worth it? (diegoaccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by diegoaccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Still, everything that you need to put in the H22, you need for the H23, mounts, axles, all that ****. Consider that first.

**** auto cross anyway, ****** 1st and 2nd gear bullshit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

First and second gear isn't bullshit at the track, would suck going to the track and then having to tell people ''let's get on the interstate''

Old 08-21-2005, 05:14 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Would this be worth it? (Jimmy)

What I'm saying is that auto-cross is garbage, because you only use 1st and 2nd gears. Stop-go-stop-go. How can that **** be any fun?

To with that, since I need to spell it out for you, I was replying to the post about H23 would suck for auto-crossing.

**** that slow *** ****. Back road twisties are infinetely more fun.

About long gears at the track, I know all about it, read my sig.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Would this be worth it? (diegoaccord)

i heard the h22 was the most difficult swap to do.

i say if you can get that thing real cheap and find out that the gains would be good then go for it but i would wait for an expert
Old 08-21-2005, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would this be worth it? (93egsedan)

Auto cross what? I use this car to ruin the kids who think they're cool with their 5 inch exhausts! I'm looking at a really cheap swap, around here people are idiots and practically give their cars away, it's even possible that I might make a PROFIT off of this swap.

Like I said, my father's a honda mechanic. It was actually his idea, and he's already deterred me from doing a B18 unless I buy an Integra to swap everything from. So chances are he's going to do that with this car, (possibly including mounts and axles if it's possible idk).

At the moment I'm just waiting to get a call back, I figure if the price is right and the engine is in good condition I'll swap it, since no one has really said no.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SovXietday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Auto cross what? I use this car to ruin the kids who think they're cool with their 5 inch exhausts! I'm looking at a really cheap swap, around here people are idiots and practically give their cars away, it's even possible that I might make a PROFIT off of this swap.

Like I said, my father's a honda mechanic. It was actually his idea, and he's already deterred me from doing a B18 unless I buy an Integra to swap everything from. So chances are he's going to do that with this car, (possibly including mounts and axles if it's possible idk).

At the moment I'm just waiting to get a call back, I figure if the price is right and the engine is in good condition I'll swap it, since no one has really said no. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If your not concerned with getting pulled over then i'd say that you should go for it. At worst you will have an engine you can beat around before putting your stock back in.

I dont understand why some of you guys are talking about not doing this based on the Preludes ability to autocross or race or whatever. The point is that ANYTHING in the Prelude PERFORMS BETTER than the Ex CIVIC.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:35 AM

I'm selling an Integra, come get it.

http://hondamarketplace.com/zerothread?id=1347412

Pull the engine, sell the rear disc brakes, a junkyard will give you $50 for it, you have an engine and transmission for around $250.