Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Would we have a case against Honda? 2001 civic non airbag deployment.... PICS (not 56k friendly)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would we have a case against Honda? 2001 civic non airbag deployment.... PICS (not 56k friendly)

ok, just yesterday my girlfriends brother was driving her car. they were at a ligth waiting to turn, and he was the last person of 3 waiting to turn. anyway this idiot in an explorer (damn suvs) was going about 35mph and he didnt realize they were at a dead stop, so he plowed her car going about 30-35 mph. the whole back is FUBAR. the trunk is in the back seat (this was a sedan), the sub box in the trunk was broken into pieces..., rear door doesnt open, back window broken, the car was hit and it moved forward to hit the car in front of him, and the car in front of that car.....basically a 4 car pile up. her front end is pretty bad, but not like the back. mostly driver side fender, lights, and hood. i was wondering if this looks like the damage is bad enough to the point the airbags would deploy. one of my other friends has a 2001 civic coupe, and he totalled the front end, his airbags also did not deploy, now he is going through litigation with honda and the guy he hit (other parties fault). i know that her car is pretty much a total loss at this point, and its 100% the other idiots fault, but why did the airbag not go off? i cant really tell from the pics how bad it is right now either. shes in AZ and im in cali. i told her the situation of the airbag is up in the air until a body shop looks at it, or what not. i dunno, just wanted to see what u guys think about it. heres the pics:

thanks for looking.

krazy
Old 10-25-2002, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would we have a case against Honda? 2001 civic non airbag deployment.... PICS (krazy)

Daaaammm, that trunk is broken!!!
Old 10-25-2002, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Would we have a case against Honda? 2001 civic non airbag deployment.... PICS (krazy)

I would either total out the car, part it out would be best .... i dont know but sometimes the yjust dont its fucked up if you ask me couldhave to do with the impact itself there are alot of variables. i would woop that dude that hit my ****
Old 10-25-2002, 12:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Would we have a case against Honda? 2001 civic non airbag deployment.... PICS (kay_animation)

if I am not mistaken, the airbag sensor is on the front of the car. and that a substantial impact is needed to deploy the bags.

By the looks of the front end damage on that car, its a toss up if the bags should have gone off.
Old 10-25-2002, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would we have a case against Honda? 2001 civic non airbag deployment.... PICS (kay_animation)

WOW! Glad she's alright.

You probably do have a case. My friends older brother like 5 years ago
was off roading (idiot) and crashed his Dad's brand new GMC Jimmy. The
airbag didn't deploy and they got some $$$ out of it. Definately look into
it.
Old 10-25-2002, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

front end damage doesn't look severe enough for the airbags to have deployed. i'm not a honda engineer though, i don't know what the specs of the system are or what the qualifications are for airbag deployment.
Old 10-25-2002, 12:20 PM
wc
Honda-Tech Member

It looks like the rear took the brunt of the damage. There may not have been enough frontal damage to trigger the air bags in this case. The front does look bad, but cars crumple real easy these days (helps to absorb more energy). Anyhow, have the body shop look at it.

- wei
Old 10-25-2002, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would we have a case against Honda? 2001 civic non airbag deployment.... PICS (YumVTEC)

thanks for the replies guys.... yea seems like its in the air right now. i think they adjuster is gonna have to decide whether or not it should have gone off. anyone work at honda and would know? hehe anyway i gotta see if theres a bulletin for this car. she has seriously been having bad luck, glad that she wasnt in the car though. thanks guys, keep em coming.

krazy
Old 10-25-2002, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW
um yes
the airbag should have gone off unless the sensor for the bag is in the actual frame portion of the rear bumper, wich it looks like it was just pushed down. but it sTILL should go off.
I was in an accident a couple years ago where i was rearended in my moms 1999 accord, we got hit by a towtruck (a flatbed.. towing 3 cars..) at about 30mph. it pushed the trunk about 6 inches above the window and shortened the overall length of the car by about a foot. bags never went off.
Old 10-25-2002, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Would we have a case against Honda? 2001 civic non airbag deployment.... PICS (KAMiN)

i hope they are ok!!!....dont really like the grey delsol in the back
Old 10-25-2002, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would we have a case against Honda? 2001 civic non airbag deployment.... PICS (KAMiN)

WOW
um yes
the airbag should have gone off unless the sensor for the bag is in the actual frame portion of the rear bumper, wich it looks like it was just pushed down. but it sTILL should go off.
I was in an accident a couple years ago where i was rearended in my moms 1999 accord, we got hit by a towtruck (a flatbed.. towing 3 cars..) at about 30mph. it pushed the trunk about 6 inches above the window and shortened the overall length of the car by about a foot. bags never went off.
theres sensors for the front airbags in the rear bumper? i never new that.... Kamin, ur in tucson, shes there too. so i dunno how close u are them, but anyway....what was the end result with ur moms accord. did u guys hit anything in the front as well. because i was wondering if the damage to the front end is bad enough for it to trigger the sensors.

krazy
Old 10-25-2002, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would we have a case against Honda? 2001 civic non airbag deployment.... PICS (Hyjnx)

hahah that grey del sol used to be mine, i sold it to her bro after i got into a crash with it. hes fixing it and selling it. shoot i didnt even notice my car in that pic, thanks for pointing it out. heres what it used to look like:

krazy
Old 10-25-2002, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW
um yes

theres sensors for the front airbags in the rear bumper? i never new that.... Kamin, ur in tucson, shes there too. so i dunno how close u are them, but anyway....what was the end result with ur moms accord. did u guys hit anything in the front as well. because i was wondering if the damage to the front end is bad enough for it to trigger the sensors.

krazy
No we didnt hit a thing in front. it was on I10 and there was a slowdown, we saw the towtruck comming at us and tried to change lanes, in the middle of the lane change we got creamed.

there SHOULD be sensors in the rear bumper
i dont see why there wouldnt be?

Where is she located?
Old 10-25-2002, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Think about what happens in a collusion like the one you had. You get hit in the rear, and you get pushed into the seat. There is no reason for the bags to deploy.
Old 10-25-2002, 01:05 PM

Don't quote me on this, but I think that the airbag sensors are down in the front bumper and it seems that the bumper wasn't even touched, it hit above (headlights). Also, any lawsuit would proably get shot down by the modified front bumper, 'cause they could argue that the bumper "interfered" with the sensors.
Old 10-25-2002, 01:13 PM
dAng!

Default Re: Would we have a case against Honda? 2001 civic non airbag deployment.... PICS (cplessl)

i was given this info from a local repair shop known for working on hondas for the dealer. He said the sensors are located inside the unibody of the car. It would take a significant front end collision to shift the front end unibody enough to deploy the airbags.
Old 10-25-2002, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

her family has a shop on delano st. its called redline performance.

as for the front bumper being an interference, i dont think that would really stand up in court. i mean the bumper she has on it, is polyurethane like that of the stock oem bumper. plus if the sensors are this sensitve then they are doing their job well. if a person hacked up the reinforcement to do a light conversion then yea theres probably something that wil cause airbag malfunction, but this is just like a replacement bumper. think about how they have taiwan made oem replacments for hondas, they are probably like her bumper here. her front bumper kit is made by tsunami, and they make pretty high quality urethane product. only reason i think the bags may have not gone off is that because it was struck a lil high. the bumper reinforcement looks like it wasn pushed back. but thats the only thing i can point out.

krazy
Old 10-25-2002, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would we have a case against Honda? 2001 civic non airbag deployment.... PICS (Black Light)

also not to mentinon that (while there is an eibach sticker) if the car was lowered, the rear bumper no longer is the proper height for which it was designed to operate properly in a read end collision, which could be blamed for why the suv basicaly tuna canned your trunk and more or less didnt come in contact with the rear bumper support. While im not trying to be a dick (because my car and probably almost everyone else here is) I dont think you would stand a chance in hell in court with honda with any sort of suspension/height altering modifications on the car. Im glad everyone is all right but as others have said, if it was a rear end collision you would be pushed back into the seat not forward, and if the airbag was to go off and just smack you in the face that would probaly injure you more than it would save your life. I would just take the money from insurance, and move on. IMO unless someone dies or is terribly injured from an accident that the only reason to sue a motor company because a cars airbags didnt go off is greed...just be happy everyones ok and take the insurnace check and run.
Old 10-25-2002, 01:32 PM

Was the car lowered? If yes, it would lower the positions of the sensor causing the airbags not to deploy.
Old 10-25-2002, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

NO ****?
my buddies told me about that place, that it just opened.
ill have to go check it out (when my car is running again )
Old 10-25-2002, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know, HOnda probably has some good as laywers and engineers. I didn't read your story but telling from the pics this is my input. SRS deployment on civics are designed for HEAD on collision, it looks like your front end took the damage on the drivers side. So I would say no.
Old 10-25-2002, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

NO ****?
its mostly accessories, and stuff. no crazy performance stuff though, if u want that u have to let him know and he will try to get it for u. her bro is Tom. ill be over there in a few week for thanksgiving so maybe we can have a lil meet. AZ honda0tech members and CA honda tech members.

krazy
Old 10-25-2002, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would we have a case against Honda? 2001 civic non airbag deployment.... PICS (georgiajdm)

i dont think we would sue, but if there is a defect that needs to be recalled, honda should know. her brother was rushed to the hospital and he wears a neck brace now. this idiot that hit them is gonna get *** raped hardcore...

krazy
Old 10-25-2002, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

NO ****?

its mostly accessories, and stuff. no crazy performance stuff though, if u want that u have to let him know and he will try to get it for u. her bro is Tom. ill be over there in a few week for thanksgiving so maybe we can have a lil meet. AZ honda0tech members and CA honda tech members.

krazy
**** ill be here (probably) but my car might be sold by then. so ill be rollin my moms 2000 accord y0!
Old 10-25-2002, 02:35 PM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know about the air bags. Maybe Honda will replace them for you, but the rest of the car did EXACTLY what it was supposed to do! Look at those pics. The front end and rear end absorbed all the impact and left the passenger cabin untouched. Personally, I think he should be kissing Honda, not sueing them. If he was in a Ford, he would probably be dead now or crippled for life...

Quick Reply: Would we have a case against Honda? 2001 civic non airbag deployment.... PICS (not 56k friendly)