Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

would something stuck in pressure plate cause gear grinding?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would something stuck in pressure plate cause gear grinding?

I recently took off my tranny because my cousin misshifted (he went from 3rd -> 2nd at about ~7000rpm). from then on, the tranny would just grind if you tried to put it in any gear and would die (wouldnt move), but when motor was off it could go into any gear fine. well today i took the tranny off and inspected my clutch and pressure plate. i found 2 pieces of aluminum in my pressure plate, it was causing one of the things to be bent and not aligned with the other prong type-of things on the pressure plate. i circled where i found it, it was all the way in there and 1 piece is still stuck all the way in. could my tranny be ok and it could just be the pieces of aluminum that i found in my pressure plate the problem?

Old 01-11-2007, 06:59 PM

Default Re: would something stuck in pressure plate cause gear grinding? (JRLOCC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRLOCC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just grind if you tried to put it in any gear, but when motor was off it could go into any gear fine.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds liek its just the clutch.. only one way to be for sure
Old 01-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats what im hoping. i hope my tranny is fine and it was just my pressureplate/clutch.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:06 PM

Default Re: (JRLOCC)

im hoping with you.. let me know how it turns out
Old 01-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ill take it apart tomorrow outside in the sun so i dont mess anything up lol
Old 01-12-2007, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone?
Old 01-12-2007, 07:15 AM
NASIOC.com

well hopefully you didnt spin a bearing or bent anything :X
Old 01-12-2007, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Otherguy)

Are you grinding while putting your transmission into gear or do you just hear a grinding noise when letting your car in neutral while on?
Old 01-12-2007, 08:14 AM

Default Re: (Nameless Warrior)

Can't see anything in the picture of the pressure plate. It looks like all the fingers are worn the same... they don't look like they are at any weird angle. I don't know how the pressure plate would be damaged from a mis-shift like that... let us know what happens.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that isnt my pressureplate, i just used it as an example of where i found it at. it grinds when i try to put it in any gear. it would just grind all day. my motor is fine, nothing wrong
Old 01-12-2007, 02:08 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

it would mean that the pressure plate may still be spinning the clutch, thus spinning the mainshaft, and probably the cause of your grinding gears.

APPEARS to be equivalent to not pressing the clutch pedal all the way while shitting
Old 01-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my cousin tried to force it and it would wind down. he forced it into 2nd and revved it very high and it would slowly grab and move.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'll take pictures of my actual pressureplate tonight.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRLOCC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'll take pictures of my actual pressureplate tonight. </TD></TR></TABLE>

why bother? You can't really over rev a tranny. Worst case scenario you gave yourself a 2nd gear grind.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bense)

I can tell you for sure that it is your pressure plate that is causing your problem. I have sold clutches all day everyday for 6 years now... What is happening is that when you have something stuck inside the fingers like that, it is causing the pressure plate to release unevenly when you press down the pedal. If it is not released evenly, it will drag on the disc and keep your transmission spinning, thus it will not let you put it in gear. There shoud be NOTHING wrong with your transmission, the clutch is simply not releasing.

The plus side is that your pressure plate may still be usable. If you take your flywheel off, and assemble the disc and pressure plate onto it (off of the car) and put it under a press, you can usually press the fingers dwon enouph to get the little piece of metal orwhat not out of it. The fingers on the pressure plate MUST BE EVEN for it to work probperly. If you do this and they are bent after you remove the little metal piece, it will not work, and needs to be replaced.

Now that I bored the hell out of you with all this jabber....if it were me, I would replace the clutch just to make sure you don't have to pull it out again. I was only telling you the rest of this just in case you are broke, you may still have a way to fix this without spending any money
Old 01-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Zeusfire69)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bence &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it would mean that the pressure plate may still be spinning the clutch, thus spinning the mainshaft, and probably the cause of your grinding gears.

APPEARS to be equivalent to not pressing the clutch pedal all the way while shitting</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Zeusfire69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can tell you for sure that it is your pressure plate that is causing your problem. I have sold clutches all day everyday for 6 years now... What is happening is that when you have something stuck inside the fingers like that, it is causing the pressure plate to release unevenly when you press down the pedal. If it is not released evenly, it will drag on the disc and keep your transmission spinning, thus it will not let you put it in gear. There shoud be NOTHING wrong with your transmission, the clutch is simply not releasing.

The plus side is that your pressure plate may still be usable. If you take your flywheel off, and assemble the disc and pressure plate onto it (off of the car) and put it under a press, you can usually press the fingers dwon enouph to get the little piece of metal orwhat not out of it. The fingers on the pressure plate MUST BE EVEN for it to work probperly. If you do this and they are bent after you remove the little metal piece, it will not work, and needs to be replaced.

Now that I bored the hell out of you with all this jabber....if it were me, I would replace the clutch just to make sure you don't have to pull it out again. I was only telling you the rest of this just in case you are broke, you may still have a way to fix this without spending any money</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks I really appreciate the help and replies.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just drained my tranny and didnt see any shavings.