Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Would a cold air intake and header with test pipe and cat back help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would a cold air intake and header with test pipe and cat back help?

I was wondering if a cold air intake, header, test pipe, and cat back exhaust would help my fuel mileage at all? or any other ideas what would be easy to do to help mileage? I have a 1992 civic 4 door lx model with a 5 speed.
thank you
Old 01-21-2011, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would a cold are intake and header with test pipe and cat back help?

IMO the car has really good mpg as is so why waste money on full exhaust to maybe get a little more if anything. I would just put a intake on and call it a day...
Old 01-21-2011, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Would a cold are intake and header with test pipe and cat back help?

Originally Posted by rasmussen00
I was wondering if a cold air intake, header, test pipe, and cat back exhaust would help my fuel mileage at all? or any other ideas what would be easy to do to help mileage? I have a 1992 civic 4 door lx model with a 5 speed.
thank you
While it is possible that increased output (which would be very minimal with the mods you mentioned) might help you step on the gas pedal a little less, I doubt it'd make a big difference.
If you were worried about mileage, I'd spend the money on a tuneup (new filters, plugs, etc) and look at free stuff that would help you with the mileage such as properly inflated tires, removing unnecessary junk in the car, etc.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah the gas mileage isn't going up or down too much with mods like that. As mentioned above...tune-up items will help more.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When it comes to gas mileage, driving behavior > parts.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea parts like you mentioned can improve your mpg as long as you don't change your driving style, if you baby then continue and also replace plugs and plug wires and fuel filter and perhaps put a seafoam in the gas tank to help clean out the injectors and run it through your vacuum off of your brake booster by takeing the hose off the brake booster and place a smaller hose inside of it so when you crake the engine and put the hose in the can of seafoam it'll go through the eninge slower and help more to burn off most of the carbon off of the pistons and your motor will thank you
Old 01-21-2011, 08:18 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It would take you like 5 years to recoup the cost of the parts in gas mileage even if those parts got you 2-3mpg.

A tune-up and better driving behavior will help a lot more. Slow down, brake sooner, etc.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no it would not! lmao you can see gains real fast and more down the road
Old 01-21-2011, 08:56 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by b20hatchek
no it would not! lmao you can see gains real fast and more down the road
I've never even seen any definite proof that basic bolt ons increase fuel mileage.

And you won't see "gains" on a d-series with bolt ons. Any gains you see are in your head.

All the gains you feel are on the butt dyno, and usually bolt ons just move the power from the bottom end to the top end and make your car make more noise.

D-series respond terribly to bolt ons. Except for turbos.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bingo. ^^^
Old 01-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ek forever guy
I've never even seen any definite proof that basic bolt ons increase fuel mileage.

And you won't see "gains" on a d-series with bolt ons. Any gains you see are in your head.

All the gains you feel are on the butt dyno, and usually bolt ons just move the power from the bottom end to the top end and make your car make more noise.

D-series respond terribly to bolt ons. Except for turbos.
are you F***ing kidding me kid'o? your giving the engine more air to breath and more exhaust out weither its a d or a k its gonna help the engine, your not gonna see huge gains in hp but you will in mpg! ive proven it and anyone else that has built an engine if with just bolt ons, maby you need to learn how to do some math when you fill up or of course your the one with the pos motor that needs to be retired to the junk yard
Old 01-21-2011, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

are you F***ing kidding me kid'o? your giving the engine more air to breath and more exhaust out weither its a d or a k its gonna help the engine, your not gonna see huge gains in hp but you will in mpg! ive proven it and anyone else that has built an engine if with just bolt ons, maby you need to learn how to do some math when you fill up or of course your the one with the pos motor that needs to be retired to the junk yard
Think about what you're saying. First, you're not, in entirety, giving the engine more air at all. Allowing it to flow more easily, yes. Better airflow can and in most cases will allow for more air during combustion, which in turn can and in most cases will use more fuel as well.

Now, because of the engine being a little snappier in regard to acceleration, you may notice yourself not giving as much throttle, which would net a gain in MPG.

So where do we draw the line? Where is your proof that bolt-ons improve MPG, or is it just a reflection of a change in driving behavior?
Old 01-21-2011, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

..really? i put an I/H/E on my car and it hasn't helped at all. if anything its worse. and i don't drive any different. so your anyone is also B.S. take your own advice learn how to do math and how to do the problem of mpg per tank.

if you have proved it past tense pull out your information that shows your proof. i know for a fact you have none because my mileage if anything is worse as stated.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i am thinking about what im saying because ive seen the difference but it also depends on the condition of the engine,
Old 01-21-2011, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Exactly. And it also depends on how you drive, what wheels/tires you're running, city vs highway, ambient temps, weather, etc. Far too many variables to account for to simply say that popping an intake on a D-series engine will improve MPG.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Red_Army
..really? i put an I/H/E on my car and it hasn't helped at all. if anything its worse. and i don't drive any different. so your anyone is also B.S. take your own advice learn how to do math and how to do the problem of mpg per tank.

if you have proved it past tense pull out your information that shows your proof. i know for a fact you have none because my mileage if anything is worse as stated.
if your asking me to prove it but yet say i don't have any? that was a stupid comment and their is a reason why most people get 40-50 mpg and they have bolt ons on their little d's
Old 01-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by macson
Exactly. And it also depends on how you drive, what wheels/tires you're running, city vs highway, ambient temps, weather, etc. Far too many variables to account for to simply say that popping an intake on a D-series engine will improve MPG.
yeah but goin on with what size tires and stop and go traffic to highway can take an account but, im saying he needs to put all the bolt ons on not just a intake cause that will do nothing but with all of what was stated will make a difference
Old 01-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Slam. Bam. Thankyou, Ma'am. You just proved my point.

All of your "evidence" that bolt ons increase gas mileage is hyperbole and wishful thinking.

There is no definitive proof that bolt ons increase gas mileage.

I get 42mpg in my 2000 Civic DX. It's totally stock. Do you REALLY think that an intake, header, and a catback would cause me to get 45mpg? I want some of what you're smoking.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah if you look in the old mags like import tuner and super street and honda tuning, they have proved it! you tard
Old 01-21-2011, 09:30 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Bolts ons didn't do $#!+ for me. Maybe a couple of HP. Intake/Header/Exhaust. I didn't feel any faster either but I sure was noisier. Didn't increase my MPG either. I get more MPG now that I'm boosted. Sorry. You're not going to convince anybody that they do.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If there is specific evidence and theory behind why and how I/H/E would improve MPG on this engine, I would love to hear it. Otherwise, it's wishful and going to vary entirely between car, engine and driver. And a rarity at best.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol alright then "living in the essence of ignorance" magazines have proved it, just write in to any of them and they will tell you, and the only way your saving gas by being boosted is because you haven't upgraded your injectors to a point of making lots more of power and being boosted you don't have to use more of the throutle to get down the road,
Old 01-21-2011, 09:35 AM
Ek Forever y0!

yeah if you look in the old mags like import tuner and super street and honda tuning, they have proved it! you tard
Really? Name calling? If the evidence is so profound why don't you point us in the right direction with some charts, well tested scientific research that has proved bolt ons increase gas mileage?

If it was so great, someone would have done some writing on it. Period. Hell, people write scientific research about the differences in intake length, people do dozens of tests on performance. Surely someone has the wherewithal to do some reporting on before/after fuel mileage.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by macson
If there is specific evidence and theory behind why and how I/H/E would improve MPG on this engine, I would love to hear it. Otherwise, it's wishful and going to vary entirely between car, engine and driver. And a rarity at best.
i plainy stated it depends on alot, where you drive, the condition of the motor, lots of varibles, i never said your gonna go from 27 to 50 mpg just by using bolt ons i never used any numbers so back tha F*** off about looking for numbers when i never stated every engine is garanteed the exact same mpg by using the same parts on any engine
Old 01-21-2011, 09:39 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What? My injectors are sufficient for the power levels I'm running my car at. And I'm using the same amount of throttle I did when I wasn't boosted. I also notice you didn't speak to the fact that I saw no difference in MPG having bolt-ons.

The same magazines that were pimping out APC, OBX and similar crap products back in the day? Real trustworthy sources. Don't believe everything you read.

Quick Reply: Would a cold air intake and header with test pipe and cat back help?