Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

which would be better?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which would be better?

i cannot decide on what i want to do. i am thinking of putting an rsx-s motor in my 2000 civic coupe, but i am not certain if i should do that or build up the motor i already have in it.. i heard the 99-00 v-tec was the best in those years and dont know if ivtec is worse or better. which engine could i do more with? an rsx-s motor or a d16y8? any help anyone can give me would be great..i want to get the most power out of whatever i decide to do.. TIA
Old 08-17-2006, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which would be better? (KP LQQKN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KP LQQKN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i cannot decide on what i want to do. i am thinking of putting an rsx-s motor in my 2000 civic coupe, but i am not certain if i should do that or build up the motor i already have in it.. i heard the 99-00 v-tec was the best in those years and dont know if ivtec is worse or better. which engine could i do more with? an rsx-s motor or a d16y8? any help anyone can give me would be great..i want to get the most power out of whatever i decide to do.. TIA</TD></TR></TABLE>

id put a huge motor in it maybe a v10 or w16 it would be so fast holy cow
Old 08-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which would be better? (slodel)

You can do the rsx swap for like 9k. Or you can build up your motor.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KP LQQKN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> which engine could i do more with? an rsx-s motor or a d16y8? any help anyone can give me would be great..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Seriously?
Old 08-17-2006, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which would be better? (cambopheonix56)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KP LQQKN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">which engine could i do more with? an rsx-s motor or a d16y8? any help anyone can give me would be great..i want to get the most power out of whatever i decide to do.. TIA</TD></TR></TABLE>

See the search button? Happy researching! You need to not touch your car until you know what's what.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:38 PM

alright i know i dont know everything to the T about engines, but i know more than your average girl. i am still in the learning phase so you dont have to be mean about it. i was only asking for people's opinions on here b/c i am told by every other person to go this way or that. i dont care what it costs, money is the least of my worries. i just wanted to know which would be the better route to go..
thanks
-Amanda
Old 08-17-2006, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: which would be better? (KP LQQKN)

For the cost of the swap, you could have a built Y8 with alot more power then the RSX motor.

platinum.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:48 PM

Default Re: which would be better? (platinum00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by platinum00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For the cost of the swap, you could have a built Y8 with alot more power then the RSX motor.

platinum.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thank you platinum
Old 08-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: which would be better? (platinum00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by platinum00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For the cost of the swap, you could have a built Y8 with alot more power then the RSX motor.

platinum.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The RSX-S motor is a good motor...but it is a very expensive swap. For that price you can be running turbos+nitrous+a built up motor - obviously surpassing the HP of a RSX. I would rather recommend a B-series swap, like a GSR or LS/VTEC - Those are good bases for building, if you try to start at the top of the list like the RSX motor (K20a), you're going to get owned in pricing. If you start at the bottom of the list (D16Y8 (or near the bottom anyways)), you have to put just as much in to get it to act like a K20. Though if you keep the d-series you can reinforce the rods, run a high powered turbo build, aftermarket bolts, more aggressive cams, lower compression pistons, lower compression valves, the works, with 100shot and a good tune, the block can hold it, and you can do it for about half the price of the K20 swap. Problem is there is no naturally aspired D-series, that costs way too much money, if you want a high powered D-series, go turbo. The B-series can go either way, I wouldn't recommend using the ITR or CTR motors because they run naturally aspired off of very high compression to get the whp numbers they get. A B18C1 (GSR) Turbo or LS/VTEC Turbo + tune can easily get you into the 300's at the wheels, with reinforcements and such. Even with that swap, turbo, and building up the engine, you're still looking at only 3/4 to 2/3 the price of the K20a (RSX) swap.

Saying you have a civic coupe isn't really saying much. I'm assuming you have a EX since you have the D16Y8 motor, what's meant by the "best" in 99-00 is the Si motor, the B16a2. This is the best motor the emblem of honda makes in the US (so disregard acura engines, GSR, ITR, LS/VTEC, CTR, all European, Asian, and Austrailian models). It's a good motor for a daily driver I suppose, the only problem with it is it's still low on torque due to it's small displacement (1.6L) which makes it only a little faster than your D16Y8 until you hit VTEC (then it'll completely own a D16Y8) - so that's the complaint about that engine, if you want it to be putting out power, g2 keep it in VTEC, which makes it good for autocross I suppose, or if you're not looking for that much power it's an easy B-series swap that'll give you maybe 135-140 hp at the wheels and isn't that expensive (compared to other swaps anyways). It's a well rounded engine, but isn't the best by far.

So what engine can you do more with? That's too broad of a question. What are your goals? What is your budget? What is your access to labor (can you put the parts in yourself or are you talking bringing it to a shop, or have a friend, brother, whatever?) HP goals? What's this car going to be used for? Answer those and people can help you pick out which engine/setup is best for your needs.

EDIT:
PS: I wouldn't recommend building up that D16Y8 or buying/installing a K20a (RSX).
Old 08-17-2006, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KP LQQKN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KP LQQKN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright i know i dont know everything to the T about engines, but i know more than your average girl. i am still in the learning phase so you dont have to be mean about it. i was only asking for people's opinions on here b/c i am told by every other person to go this way or that. i dont care what it costs, money is the least of my worries. i just wanted to know which would be the better route to go..
thanks
-Amanda</TD></TR></TABLE>

To be quite honest, us telling you the best route to go is like telling you which dog to get because it's the best. It's completely opinionated, and no one person is going to agree.

Swapping an RSX-S engine into the engine bay of your coupe is not easy. It's like pulling out your engine, turning it 180 degrees, and trying to put it back in. There's a lot of custom fabrication that needs to be done, and if you don't know what you're doing... or even know if a K20A2 is better than a D16Y8, you're going to be in deep ****. Like I said, get on that search button, and start getting your answers.

My personal opinion, since this is your first build... turbocharge the D16Y8. That way if you blow it up, you're not out 9 grand, instead your out maybe 500. That, and even if you stick on a 19T Greddy kit you'll be able to hang with if not walk all over those RSX-S' anyhow.

You've got a lot to learn, and being spoon fed is not a good way to do it. K20A2 swap is very advanced, you will be out of a car for months, and it's going to cost you a fortune and a half to have a mildly quick Civic.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (SovXietday)

K motors cost alot, and so does the install...do you know that you can have more power then 95% of the cars on the road if you piece together a turbo kit for ~1200$ and keep the stock motor?