Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

is it worth it to get a magnaflow muffler?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is it worth it to get a magnaflow muffler?????

Hey guys/gals does any one know if the stainless stell magnaflow mufflers sound good? i've got 2 1/4 inch exaust pipe with a high flow cat, would it be loud??? any experience would be good
The following users liked this post:
Old 06-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea it will be loud.

anyone else tells you different is an idiot

Old 06-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dustinO)

My experience with magnaflow Mufflers says yes.

They're pretty rumbly. You'd be better off ordering a sportmax or twin loop, or an Apex'i WS2 if you've got the money.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:29 PM

loud and ricey
Old 06-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Midori Bandit!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Midori Bandit! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">loud and ricey</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have the setup your talking about and it's not that loud and ricey... it's a deeper sound with a slight rasp. Mine's being ran in conjunction with 2.5" piping
Old 06-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (obuhmyuh)

Check the FAQ's. There is a thread with sound clips for just about every exhaust available for our chassis'.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mark D. Surface)

Clearly the people here are useless trolls. I HAVE a magnaflow muffler and it is VERY quiet. It all depends on which Magnaflow muffler you buy (I went oval) and if you run a resonator. I have a 14" resonator with my oval canister magnaflow and it is quiet. Seriously quiet. It would be decently loud if I took off the resonator--but not excessively loud.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JohnnyWash1)

yeah i dont know what those other guys are talking about but like johmmywash said its quiet...i have the magnaflow canister style muffler (less packing then oval) 2-1/4 from cat threw a 14inch resanator and its just a nice deep tone and while crusing its silent.Hell its quieter then all the guys @ here and most have ws2's.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:31 PM

Default Re: (project4dr-eg)

oh yea it would be loud, and Magna flow is a freaking pioneer when it comes to that
Old 06-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Take it easy there, JohnnyWash. In my experience, I've seen nothing but loud, rumbling mufflers from magnaflow, and you know why? Because when I was young every one of my friends and I had one, and guess what? They were loud. It's quite an accusation to say that everyone giving advise in here is a useless troll when you happen to have a quiet quiet muffler.

However, rudeness aside, I see your point and agree. We can't say that Magnaflow mufflers are loud in general, as it does depend on which you get. Why don't you just suggest whichever magnaflow muffler you have as an example of a quiet one for the OP?
Old 06-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlackoutVTi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackoutVTi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Take it easy there, JohnnyWash. In my experience, I've seen nothing but loud, rumbling mufflers, and you know why? Because when I was young every one of my friends and I had one, and guess what? They were loud. It's quite an accusation to say that everyone giving advise in here is a useless troll when you happen to have a quiet one.

However, rudeness aside, I see your point and agree. We can't say that Magnaflow mufflers are loud in general, as it does depend on which you get.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, I was out of line. I just hate when people echo sentiments they have heard on the forums but have no personal experience with. The truth of the matter is, a muffler doesn't completely dictate the volume of the exhaust. It plays a large part, but other things like resonators, cats, pipe size, etc. all play a role. Also, Magnaflow makes many different models of mufflers, so to blanket statement the company as loud is ignorant.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If he is running nothing but a cat with 2 1/4in exhaust. it will be nothing but quiet

but try it and see
Old 06-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JohnnyWash1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, I was out of line. I just hate when people echo sentiments they have heard on the forums but have no personal experience with. The truth of the matter is, a muffler doesn't completely dictate the volume of the exhaust. It plays a large part, but other things like resonators, cats, pipe size, etc. all play a role. Also, Magnaflow makes many different models of mufflers, so to blanket statement the company as loud is ignorant. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, I see what you're saying. I hope the OP's taking notes as well, as these are valid statements. What quiet muffler are you running? (for OP's reference)
Old 06-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it worth it to get a magnaflow muffler????? (si_motor_spt)

i have a magnaflow high flow cat, 2.5" piping, and a toucan exhaust muffler, and it sounds nice. toucan is an offbrand i got at a local shop, but it sounds good. as long as u got a high flow cat and 2+" piping, anything should be loud (unless theres a baffle or resinator in there somewhere...)
Old 06-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it worth it to get a magnaflow muffler????? (civics4lyfe)

and black rims.

haha go buy magnaflow its affordable, it sounds great, and performance gains are pretty good when coupled with a larger piping and better flowing system
Old 06-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it worth it to get a magnaflow muffler????? (obuhmyuh)

I can absolutly guarentee you it will be loud. I have a magnaflow muffler along with 2.5" piping, a magnaflow res and with headers im pretty sure i have THE loudest car in town. seriously, though i'm louder than diesels. i have actually made people go deaf for a couple minutes in an ear when i do a fly by with their window is down. DO NOT buy a magnaflow muffler if you have all the stuff i have done
Old 06-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it worth it to get a magnaflow muffler????? (SOHC_civic_si)

wow... i gotta hear this
Old 06-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it worth it to get a magnaflow muffler????? (obuhmyuh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by obuhmyuh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i have the setup your talking about and it's not that loud and ricey... it's a deeper sound with a slight rasp. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree. i have one too.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlackoutVTi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackoutVTi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes, I see what you're saying. I hope the OP's taking notes as well, as these are valid statements. What quiet muffler are you running? (for OP's reference)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here is my exact part and where I bought it:

http://store.summitracing.com/...w=sku

I also purchased a Carsound (Magnaflow) high flow cat from Summit. It was the same price. These parts with 2.25" piping and a 14" resonator are very quiet.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:41 PM

I have a magnaflow oval style muffler with 2 1/2" piping, 2 resonators and no cat. When i had it put on it was very quiet, it almost seemed stock. Now 10k km's later it's extremely loud and deep. mines not raspy though like other guys have mentioned. It's on a b18c btw.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Midori Bandit!)

its not that loud. Im running a magnaflow muffler with stock manifold 2 1/4 piping with a resanator in the middle. and it has a nice grunt to it
Old 06-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im running a 20inch res magnaflow with es muffler, isn't loud only at woot but it be mean and deep. i hear ws2 **** sound like crap at woot and its louder then the es muffler.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:43 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by averyvm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its not that loud. Im running a magnaflow muffler with stock manifold 2 1/4 piping with a resanator in the middle. and it has a nice grunt to it</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2
Old 06-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nw13)

If the muffler is straight through and you have no other form of dampening or only a cat, then I think it will be pretty loud yes. I have had a Megan Racing Drift Series catback on my EG without cat. Terribly loud. Fun for 5 or 10 minutes. Even with silencer I found it to be on the border of being too loud.

Last week I installed my HKS HiPower catback and put the cat back in place. I wanted to drive without a silencer, I think a silencer looks plain ugly. Even with the cat Ithink it's just on the border, just like the Megan Racing with silencer. Some other guy I know has a Tanabe Concept G catback and that also sound pretty loud. So from my experience, anything that is straigth through is going to be loud, as the straigth through systems that that I mentioned and are suppose to be relatively silent , are still bloody loud.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:26 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: (Dutch_Mofo)

Magnaflow mufflers are very deep and throaty. I personally think they sound awesome. However the "loudness" you guys are talking about is directly related to your piping diameter and your resonator and/or cat.

I'm running header &gt; 2.5" straight pipe &gt; maxspeed muffler

I scare harley riders when I step on it.

If you are running a resonator though it will quiet it down quite a bit, so will a cat. Those "silencers" you put in the tip of your muffler are crap and rob power. If you want a quieter exhaust use a bigger resonator.

Quick Reply: is it worth it to get a magnaflow muffler?????