Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

won't start... please help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default won't start... please help.

i have a slight problem. i've got a 92 civic hatch with a h22a swap. i haven't had any problem with this car at all. the other day i went to look at a buddy's car and i was showing off a little, i got up to like 145 but didn't feel anything wrong. when we got there i cut the car off and got out. when i went to start it back up my fuel pump doesn't cut on. i'm getting power to my distributor but no fire at all. my fuel pump is not getting any power either. i tried two other relay's and still nothing. i even tried another ecu. nothing. still no fire and power to the pump. the relay clicks the moment the key is turned on and off but no 2nd click. i took the relay apart and it looks good, no burns or crack or anything. i'm lost guys....
Old 08-21-2008, 01:45 PM

Default Re: won't start... please help. (dirtylilhonda)

not 100% sure on this car but usually the mainrelay controls the signal to the fuel injectors and spark plugs, to allow them to recieve power. You can verify you have spark by removing a plug, and holding it on a ground away from your hands so that you do not shock yourself, and crank the car over, if you have spark that eliminate the main relay, Also remove the fuel supply line and turn the key over, if you have fuel gushing out your fuel pump is working correctly, now to see if the injectors are working, you can remove all your spark plugs, keep them away from the cylinder holes, crank the engine over and if you start smelling fuel near the plug holes while cranking it over, your injectors are more than likely working.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:49 PM

Default Re: won't start... please help. (revlimitx04)

i've tried the firing and i'm not getting any spark. and on the fuel pump i have a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail, thats how i knew i wasn't getting fuel but i checked the hot wire at the fuel pump and i'm not getting power at all. so for some reason something has killed the power the my fuel pump and won't let my distributor fire. again it was driving fine and i cut the car off myself. five mins later this is what i get.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:53 PM

Have you tried disconnecting the negative battery cable for 30mins or so and reconnecting it, sometimes that will reset the ecu, im not sure how to reset the ecu on this car but it works on older fords and chevys. Sounds like it has something to do with the ecu though.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:31 PM

ok i tried that and its still doin the same thing. i also jus swapped my ecu with one from a lude si, still nothing and it should atleast start the motor. so it's not the ecu either.. now what??
Old 08-21-2008, 02:38 PM

Similar situation happened to me on my 89 4G4D. I tried everything ECU, Dizzy, grounds, Ignition switch, Main relay, etc. It turns up to be a faulty fuse box under the dash. Good luck!!
Old 08-21-2008, 02:40 PM

Default Re: won't start... please help. (wrecked95civic)

humm.... were your fuses getting power at all? cause all of my fuses are getting power..
Old 08-21-2008, 02:49 PM

Seems like now is a good time to pull out the factory wiring diagram for your car, and start tracing the diagram throughout the system to find a common link between your fuel pump and spark plugs, seems to me like it would have something to do with your ignition wire or a relay tied into the ignition wire.. As for that though, time to start doing it the hard way, grab the diagram, and your multimeter, and start testing your hinny off. Good luck and keep me posted.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:53 PM

i was really hoping that i wouldn't have to... if its a wire loose or bad or something, i don't understand why it jus happened like that. thats why i think its a relay or sensor or something. but everything checks out ok. i guess your right i'm gonna have to break out the diagram. i hate electric problems....
Old 08-21-2008, 02:55 PM

me to, grab some good ol alcohol and a tester and start testin away. It probably is just a coincidence that it happend after doing 145, but if your fuelpump was straining to keep up it could of drawn enough amps to fry something along the line, I dunno. Good luck, i feel for ya man
Old 08-21-2008, 03:02 PM

i'll see what i can figure out.. i appreciate all the help.. i'll let ya know what i find..