Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wont Start after install

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wont Start after install

Well I am new to the Civic HB world but I bought a shell of a 1992 White CX 65k blown head gasket or motor but good tranny with new clutch got the receipt. well i towed it home the day after i saw it really clean on the inside. I only bought it cause my buddy was doing a GSR swap to his CX and would let me have his old motor till i get my own GSR ( one day ). well we I was doing this by myself and i am a computer guy not a mechanic but did ok with help from others for like a hour but majority of the work was done my me. Now the car will just not start. I put new plugs wires and 2 different distributors no luck. the crankshaft pulley and cam turn when trying to start but no luck. so I tried to change the fuel filter same thing. checked all my fuses and still will not startup at a loss of what to do next. could it be clogged fuel injector or just no spark? at a loss of what to try and it has been 2 weeks with no car any kind of help would be great....

[Modified by fasterthenmost, 5:58 PM 7/5/2002]
Old 07-05-2002, 09:05 AM

Default Re: Wont Start after install (fasterthenmost)

if you turn the key 2 clicks, do you hear your fuel pump primming? Try checking the injectors and the rest of the fuel associated parts. If that doesnt help, then move on to ignition (i.e. plugs, distributors, connections, fuses..etc) which you said you have already done, but it wont hurt to go over it one more time. It sounds like you probably have a fuel problem but you wont know till youve checked everything. Hope this helps

[Modified by EKology, 10:11 AM 7/5/2002]
Old 07-05-2002, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Wont Start after install (EKology)

thanks alot i think it maybe my injectors cause the fuel pump is primming so my focus has been fuel, distributor, plugs, wires, etc... maybe if you could tell me what to do with those injectors new ones or is there a method to un-clog them. it would be extremely helpful.
Old 07-05-2002, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wont Start after install (TYPE EG6)

did u check your grounds? one on the valve cover and one on the trans to the chassis!
wow a helpfull 1st post.....you rock dude!!

sorry i just found this amazing
Old 07-06-2002, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Wont Start after install (fifthgearonline!!!)

Hey thanks so much guys still no luck though the 2 grounds are there just no luck! Today I even try putting some new fuel injectors but it was no help at all. I think i may not be getting spark any easy ways to try to see if the spark is there? I hope i can get this thing running....
Old 07-06-2002, 12:37 PM
New User

There is usually a third ground right above where the thermostat is. Check that too.

As for an easy way to check for spark, just pull a plug wire out of the distributor cap, hold it about an inch or so away, and get someone to try to crank the car over. If the distributor is sparking, you will see spark between the wire and cap. You can even go as far as pulling a plug out, keeping the plug wire on, and grounding the plug on the valve cover, and then starting it over. Dont wind on it too much, just click it over a few times, you'll see spark if its there.

Did his motor work before he pulled it?(Stupid question but gotta check everything) If you are getting spark and fuel, all your grounds are in, then the only other factor I can think of is compression. But, if it is a good motor internally, then it should be something external(wiring, spark, fuel, etc.)

Good luck bro, keep us updated.
Old 07-07-2002, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Wont Start after install (IntegD)

thanks alot you guys have been so much help and i have really been learning alot about this car even though its a stock motor nothing really powerful like GSR i learned alot doing this swap basically by myself. well i check that third ground and it's in there I just plum forgot about it. I also checked for spark and it seems to be there as well. I think it may be the timing so i will check that if not then it's time for a compression test. How hard is that? well let me get back outside ( its pretty hot in NY today ) and start to work on that timing... I will keep you guys posted and expect some engine pictures too.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry I really am not able to help you, but I just wanted to say "congrats!" to you for taking a project like that on. It really is such a good feeling to be able to pull a job like this off. I'm sure that you'll figure it out soon enough. A year ago, I would have never thought I'd be dropping my tranny and replacing my clutch. After that job, I'm just about positive I'll be handling my swap, whenever that happens. Best of luck to you!
Old 07-07-2002, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Wont Start after install (Mike P.)

hey man thanks it did take courage but alot of frustration i have had a car for almost 2 weeks now that i cannot drive. well for an update i began to set the timing my self was able to take the belt off properly but after lining up the camshaft and the crankshaft in the correct positions i managed the get the belt back on but extremely loose. I tried playing with the tensioner and holding the belt tight before tightening the tensioner bolt but it still remains loose and my car still wont start. well tommorrow i will just try to get it tight and maybe it will start up an run. will keep you all posted.