Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wondering about Brake lines ie: swapping from Civic Drums to Integra discs in the rear

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 01:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wondering about Brake lines ie: swapping from Civic Drums to Integra discs in the rear

I am swapping out my Civic Hatch rear drums to Integra discs this weekend and noticed that the brake line from the civic doesn't actually line up with the hole on the back of the integra discs.

I was actually able to bend the hard brake line part slightly to get it in the Integra hole nicely, but didnt know if this was ok to do, or if I needed to buy the integra brake lines.

I can take pictures if my words are confusing.

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wondering about Brake lines ie: swapping from Civic Drums to Integra discs in the rear (jefe)

yo!
Old 12-05-2004, 06:49 AM

Default Re: Wondering about Brake lines ie: swapping from Civic Drums to Integra discs in the rear (jefe)

https://honda-tech.com/zerosearch

Search y0!

If you had done the research before you did the swap, you would have known that you needed the soft brake lines from the Teg disks. Hopefully you dont rip one of your brake lines apart if you hit some nasty bumps.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wondering about Brake lines ie: swapping from Civic Drums to Integra discs in the rear (jlacoy82

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jlacoy82 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">https://honda-tech.com/zerosearch

Search y0!

If you had done the research before you did the swap, you would have known that you needed the soft brake lines from the Teg disks. Hopefully you dont rip one of your brake lines apart if you hit some nasty bumps. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well. thanks for being so hospitable about it and so friendly, and non-sarcastic buddy ole pal of mine. Call me and we can do lunch sometime.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:22 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you need the hoses off of the donor car, or you can do what i did and swap them all out for goodridge braided lines.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:51 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: Wondering about Brake lines ie: swapping from Civic Drums to Integra discs in the rear (boostedc

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you need the hoses off of the donor car, or you can do what i did and swap them all out for goodridge braided lines.</TD></TR></TABLE>
That's good advice.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:50 PM
Motorhead

Replace the lines with Earl's steel braided. They'll custom cut the length & press the fittings.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wondering about Brake lines ie: swapping from Civic Drums to Integra discs in the rear (boostedc

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you need the hoses off of the donor car, or you can do what i did and swap them all out for goodridge braided lines.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nice. Thanks alot.

So another question about this....so basically, when the brake lines come through in the fender well, it comes from the rubber soft brake line to the hard line to the caliper.....

Do I need to replace the soft AND hard brake lines or just the soft line and then bend the hard line to fit? Does it hurt the hard brake line when this is done, if done in moderation?

I appreciate the suggestions for steel braided lines but it's not something I want to do right now, even though I would like to. I have already spent more money than I should have.

I basically want to just replace this short section of brake line to get my car back on the road.

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:26 PM

You dont need to touch the hardline. Hard line runs from mc/abs module/prop valve to your fender wall in the rear/front. From the fender wall it mates up with a soft line which runs to your caliper and terminates in a banjo bolt. So you only need the soft line that corresponds with the hubs/calipers you are using.
Old 12-06-2004, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jlacoy82)

You can use the rear brake lines from the 94-01 integra or 99-00 civic Si
Old 12-06-2004, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Marauder)

Don't forget to get parking brake cables off the donor car or buy some that are compatible with disc brakes.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (StErN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StErN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't forget to get parking brake cables off the donor car or buy some that are compatible with disc brakes. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, they came with the setup I bought thankfully.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jlacoy82)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jlacoy82 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You dont need to touch the hardline. Hard line runs from mc/abs module/prop valve to your fender wall in the rear/front. From the fender wall it mates up with a soft line which runs to your caliper and terminates in a banjo bolt. So you only need the soft line that corresponds with the hubs/calipers you are using.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This isn't what I was referring to. I know the hard brake line under the car that runs from the engine bay to the fender well is good to go.

But on my Civic DX once the hard line runs into the fender well, it changes to a soft line which goes to a bracket that bolts to the back of the brake setup and at that bracket, the line changes back to a hard line again which then plugs in to the caliper with the banjo bolt.

I know I can get the brake lines from either the donor car, a Civic SI or Ex w/ ABS, but I am not sure if I need to get the soft line AND the hard line that plugs into the Caliper, or if I can just buy the soft brake line and bend the hard line enough to plug into the caliper.

Make sense? I can take photos if needed.

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jefe)

bump.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

come on. Please.

I didn't see anything in the archives specific to this question about which part of the brake lines I need to swap out.

...with sugar on top.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey can i ask how much u paid for those rear brake setup, i want to upgrade all my corners of my 92 cx too! thanks
Old 12-07-2004, 07:20 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: (stripes777)

Okay, I think you may be a little confused since you can't compare disc & drum flex lines in front of you. flexible disc brake lines should have all the metal fittings at either end (banjo & threaded). If they don't then their broken. Here is a picture from a 94 si rear disc setup...

Number 30 & 31 are the rear DISC brake lines. Your drums have completely different setup w/ a hard line too (29, 15 & 12). This will not be necisarry to buy since disc brake lines have the banjo bolt built in.

Get the disc brake hoses that match the car your rear discs came off of (since there are atleast two different calipers from different cars).

Old 12-07-2004, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stripes777)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stripes777 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey can i ask how much u paid for those rear brake setup, i want to upgrade all my corners of my 92 cx too! thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

I paid $160 for the rear trailing arms, hubs, rotors, calipers, and e-brake cables. All in really good condition but I still bought new rotors and brake pads for it.

From a 96 GSR too. I thought $160 was a good price.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94eg!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay, I think you may be a little confused since you can't compare disc & drum flex lines in front of you. flexible disc brake lines should have all the metal fittings at either end (banjo & threaded). If they don't then their broken. Here is a picture from a 94 si rear disc setup...

Number 30 & 31 are the rear DISC brake lines. Your drums have completely different setup w/ a hard line too (29, 15 & 12). This will not be necisarry to buy since disc brake lines have the banjo bolt built in.

Get the disc brake hoses that match the car your rear discs came off of (since there are atleast two different calipers from different cars). </TD></TR></TABLE>

=====

Ok. I think I see what you are saying. So the donor car was a 96 GSR. So if I get the brake lines from that car, it will just be a flexible hose that comes from the fender well through the bracket and ends in a banjo that plugs into the caliper?? Right?

So the flexible and hard line w/ banjo from the drum setup will just get scrapped?

Old 12-07-2004, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is it best to get the brake lines from a local parts store or a dealer?
Old 12-07-2004, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jefe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it best to get the brake lines from a local parts store or a dealer?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I got my rears on here for like 10 dollars or so. I wouldn't think that a dealer would sell them any cheaper than 50 dollars or so, which is probally pretty close to what Autozone wants for them. I'd go with whatever's cheaper if you don't want to upgrade to stainless braided lines. pdiggitydog mentioned some braided lines with plastic coverings to keep them from wearing on parts. I'd love to find a set of those.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:00 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: (Ricey McRicerton)

I have a pair of rear GSR lines, but They have red paint all over them (used them to hold the caliper while I painted them). I could sell them to you, if $15.00 shipped is acceptable. Other than the paint there in great condition. I'll even throw in new banjo seals...

IM me or e-mail at sberke2@***.net
Old 12-07-2004, 11:21 AM

Default Re: (94eg!)

bump
Old 12-07-2004, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jlsmi2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jlsmi2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump</TD></TR></TABLE>

why did you bump? ha! funny!
Old 12-07-2004, 07:26 PM

Default Re: (StErN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StErN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't forget to get parking brake cables off the donor car or buy some that are compatible with disc brakes. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i got a 93 si disc conversion with the ebrake cables and they were too short for my 96 hatch. had to buy the si cables. just a fyi

Quick Reply: Wondering about Brake lines ie: swapping from Civic Drums to Integra discs in the rear