Wonder about this oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wonder about this oil Leak

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1998 Civic EX manual transmission

This weekend I decided to go ahead and replace my Valve cover gasket, VTEC gasket and the IACV gasket. When I had my valve cover off I decided to retighten (using a torcometer and the engine cold(1 night off)) my head bolts with the specification torque procedure, only a few turned just a bit and just in case I turned the other ones just that little bit to try maintain the same shape.

The valve cover gasket I bought was not the one for this car, it looked pretty similar but I had to cut it and glue it since it was a bit larger than stock. Then I installed it without any sealant.

Today I checked and I have a major oil leak, couldnt tell where since I needed to clean the engine and I had no time. Could it be its leaking from the head? I hope its not, pretty sure the valve cover gasket is not the one I needed.

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:21 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Wonder about this oil Leak

Originally Posted by rovafa2002
The valve cover gasket I bought was not the one for this car, it looked pretty similar but I had to cut it and glue it since it was a bit larger than stock. Then I installed it without any sealant.

This is your problem. Fix it.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol he asked and answered his own question no need for the forum
Old 07-02-2013, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol. the proper gaskets might do the trick
Old 07-02-2013, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rovafa2002
Hi Everyone,

I have a 1998 Civic EX manual transmission

This weekend I decided to go ahead and replace my Valve cover gasket, VTEC gasket and the IACV gasket. When I had my valve cover off I decided to retighten (using a torcometer and the engine cold(1 night off)) my head bolts with the specification torque procedure, only a few turned just a bit and just in case I turned the other ones just that little bit to try maintain the same shape.

Today I checked and I have a major oil leak, couldnt tell where since I needed to clean the engine and I had no time. Could it be its leaking from the head? I hope its not, pretty sure the valve cover gasket is not the one I needed.

Thanks!

OK i think your gasket WAS the correct one. When you install rubber gaskets you cannot "slide" your fingers across the gasket as you Lay it into its trough/groove it lays in. you MUST PRESS the gasket DOWN into place. If you slide your hand across it the gasket "grows" and it will not fit and you would have to cut a link out of it so it will lay in and not scrunch up.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sleepyaccord96
OK i think your gasket WAS the correct one. When you install rubber gaskets you cannot "slide" your fingers across the gasket as you Lay it into its trough/groove it lays in. you MUST PRESS the gasket DOWN into place. If you slide your hand across it the gasket "grows" and it will not fit and you would have to cut a link out of it so it will lay in and not scrunch up.
Thats actually what I did, I had to cut it, since it was all in place but I have some extra length on it. I will try to get the Honda Genuine one and give it a try. Should I use sealant on it? or its no necessary?

i was a bit scared I broke my head gasket when retightening it, but I was very careful I did turn the bolts lets say no more than a 1/6.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Put some HondaBond on the curved corners of the gasket, and buy or borrow a torque wrench.