Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wobbly Front End

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wobbly Front End

Hi all,

I'm new here, so please be understanding while I learn the etiquette of this site!

I just bought a '95 Civic LX 4-dr.
It runs great, but I notice an annoying "shimmy" in the front end, mostly at very low speeds (10-15mph) and again at 50-60 mph. The shaking gets extremely serious whenever the brakes are applied, although the vehicle stops from any speed quite quickly. I feel both side-to-side wobble, noticeable in the steering wheel, and brake pedal pulsing. I immediately suspected a warped rotor, but when I pulled the wheels today, both rotors and pads looked like new. I even let the car idle in gear with each wheel off the ground to watch for rotor wobbles, but there were none. I noticed that the drive shafts seem to be slightly bent. Could this be an illusion, or if not, how can I verify where the shake is coming from before buying new axles? Has anyone else experienced this?

Sorry for the novel, and thanks for the help...

Mike
Old 08-07-2004, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Wobbly Front End (Elmojo)

You're not going to be able to tell that your rotors are warped, just by looking at them (unless it's extreme). Make sure all your bolts are tightened to factory spec, and if that doesn't resolve your problems, try bleeding your brakes. If that's not it, take that ish somewhere and have them inspect them. Not Meineke or some bull **** like that, they'll always tell you it needs replaced. Have them run a diagnostic and find out what, if anything, needs replaced. Possibly turning your rotors from what it sounds like, but I can't be sure over this forum
Old 08-07-2004, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wobbly Front End (hatchling37)

got your tires balanced?
Old 08-08-2004, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Wobbly Front End (spyderracing32)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spyderracing32 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">got your tires balanced?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not yet. I just bought the car last week. I noticed yesterday that the front tires are wearing VERY strangely. The 3" in the center looks like new, but the inch or so on the inside and outside edges are worn almost to cord. I was wondering if this could be causing the wobble, or vice-versa?

Thanks,

Mike P.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:00 AM

go to a tire shop, usually they have charts hanging on the wall that show pictures of different problems that might occure, and tips o what it could be..how to fix them. I didnt study it, but last time i got tires i remember seeing it. talks about toe, camber, blah blah
Old 08-08-2004, 11:39 AM

if your tires are wearing like that you should check your tire pressure. Is it a stock civic or this there suspension mods on it? and for the disks check them for weird patterns, it might not be the source but it doesnt hurt to check and get them machined
Old 08-08-2004, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

"The 3" in the center looks like new, but the inch or so on the inside and outside edges are worn almost to cord"

Tires are UNDER inflated.

Fix tire pressure. Get wheels balanced. Get wheel alignment.

Little things 1st. Plus you just got the car, you want to make sure its in good condition when you drive.

If those dont cure your problem, Id say look into the axles. Do you hear a clicking when you the turn the wheel and accelerate. Also, check for a bent wheel.

Good luck and congrats on the new car.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:24 PM

Default Re: (EJ8 D15Y8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ8 D15Y8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"The 3" in the center looks like new, but the inch or so on the inside and outside edges are worn almost to cord"

Tires are UNDER inflated.

Fix tire pressure. Get wheels balanced. Get wheel alignment.

Little things 1st. Plus you just got the car, you want to make sure its in good condition when you drive.

If those dont cure your problem, Id say look into the axles. Do you hear a clicking when you the turn the wheel and accelerate. Also, check for a bent wheel.

Good luck and congrats on the new car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree
Old 08-08-2004, 04:14 PM

i had the same problem where my steering wheel was shimmying side to side and vibrating like a mother. it turned out to be my tires. they had bumps on them where the tread was! i suppose do to worn out struts. might want to check that
Old 08-08-2004, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No one has mentioned warped rotors yet! When I had warped rotors when I hit the brakes my car would shake REALLY bad. Check your struts and tires.
I'm betting its rotors since it gets worse when you hit the brakes.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wobbly Front End (Ajax)

bad tires will definately make your car shake. I would say tires and an alignment. If the axle looks bent, have them check it out. If it is noticeably bent, you should get a new one and replace it,...that would also cause wobble. Probably a combination of the two. i would check the wheel bearings too. If the car has been doing as you described for a while now, they might be warped. With the front end jacked up, you can check them by pulling the tire back and forth to see if they wobble.(make sure steering wheel is locked)
Old 08-11-2004, 06:41 AM

Default Re: Wobbly Front End

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I will do as you say (YEEEASSS MAASTTER! - Igor)
I have checked the tire pressure, and they seem ok, but I can't speak for what was done before I got the car. I plan on getting new tires very soon, but I will have the rotors checked/turned before I put on new rubber.
The rotor surfaces look like new, so do the pads. This is what initially made me dismiss the warped rotor possibility, but I will have them checked now.
As for the axles, they do appear to 'wobble' a bit when I let the wheel spin off the ground. Is there any way to check them other than the old 'eyeball' test or replacing?

One more question...
Do civics tend to shift hard? When I say hard, I don't mean that anything feels wrong. This car just shifts like it has a racing kit in it! That's not a bad thing, as long as it's normal. I'm fairly sure that the car is bone stock. I have not seen any indication of mods. I plan on switching to Redline ATF soon, but I wanted to get your opinions first.

Thanks for all the help!

Mike P.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wobbly Front End (Ajax)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ajax &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> No one has mentioned warped rotors yet! </TD></TR></TABLE>

It doubt it.. the car is already wobbling from driving w/o pressing the brakes and warped rotors only shake the wheel when you press the brake.

I would get new tires , (might as well) then get an alignment, sounds like you have cupping of the tires, then go from there.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

id say start with the basics
Check all bolts in the suspension
then get your tires balanced and aligned
if not that try to get new rotors

then take it from there
Old 08-11-2004, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wobbly Front End (vtec69)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BatuKing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It doubt it.. the car is already wobbling from driving w/o pressing the brakes and warped rotors only shake the wheel when you press the brake.

I would get new tires , (might as well) then get an alignment, sounds like you have cupping of the tires, then go from there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, not really. When my rotors were bad my whole front end would shake when I hit the brakes... although when my tires were bad at about 5 mph if you took your hand off the wheel you would see the wheel go one way then back the other way nonstop. It was pretty weird :\