Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wiring vtec to a switch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring vtec to a switch?

ok my bois bubble has a jdm d15b and he wants to kno how he can set his vtec to a switch cuz my bois crx has a switch to turn it on and he wants the same thing so how would we do it?
Old 10-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiring vtec to a switch? (93blkcivic)

absolutely pointless. VTEC engages when it does because anytime before, you'd be losing power ....VTEC allows two different camshafts to effectively be run in the same motor.... therefore, the point that it engages is where the graphs of those two cams would intersect ... so when the lower cam profile's power falls off...a much more agressive one kicks in.

It will not gain you any power or anything ...probably only mess things up to use a switch to active it.

Nathan
Old 10-08-2006, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Wiring vtec to a switch? (NathanMorris)

VTEC is actually engaged by oil pressure. point blank. all he's doing is flipping a switch. nothing happens
Old 10-08-2006, 09:20 PM

the only use for that is on an extremely high flowing enging with proper cams to compensate for the added air. he will be better off with a big APC sticker on his windshield. they will both perform the same.

no it will work. the switch will bypass the oil pressure switch and engauge the solenoid
Old 10-08-2006, 09:21 PM

completely retarded.
vtec engages at a certain point because that is when it is most useful.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Wiring vtec to a switch? (sillylilcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NathanMorris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">absolutely pointless. VTEC engages when it does because anytime before, you'd be losing power ....VTEC allows two different camshafts to effectively be run in the same motor.... therefore, the point that it engages is where the graphs of those two cams would intersect ... so when the lower cam profile's power falls off...a much more agressive one kicks in.

It will not gain you any power or anything ...probably only mess things up to use a switch to active it.

Nathan</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicDude2k4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">VTEC is actually engaged by oil pressure. point blank. all he's doing is flipping a switch. nothing happens</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sillylilcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the only use for that is on an extremely high flowing enging with proper cams to compensate for the added air. he will be better off with a big APC sticker on his windshield. they will both perform the same.</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by knockout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">completely retarded.
vtec engages at a certain point because that is when it is most useful.</TD></TR></TABLE>

x 1,000,000
Old 10-08-2006, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Wiring vtec to a switch? (CivicDude2k4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicDude2k4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">VTEC is actually engaged by oil pressure. point blank. all he's doing is flipping a switch. nothing happens</TD></TR></TABLE>your half right

its engaged by a surge of oil pressure into the rockerarms that is controlled by the vtec solenoid

but its totally ******* pointless to have it on a switch. honda engineers know more than you do, dont expletive with it.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiring vtec to a switch? (Kamin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

but its totally ******* pointless to have it on a switch. honda engineers know more than you do, dont expletive with it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

qft
Old 10-08-2006, 09:34 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Wiring vtec to a switch? (cambopheonix56)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cambopheonix56 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

qftw</TD></TR></TABLE>

Fixed.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its pointless to hook it to a switch. when vtec is activated, fuel is also increased. and that is only done through the ecu. if you turn it on, you are running it lean
Old 10-08-2006, 09:36 PM

ok, i just thought the oil pressure had to be there before the electrical component kicked in. so even if you had it on a switch, unless the pressure was enough nothing would happen electronically. made sense in my head i guess, now i know
Old 10-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i tried telling him that but he wants it u kno luike theres no convincing this kid he stuborn so does ne1 have like a chart or sumtin so i can do it for him and besides im gettin paid for doing it so im good lol
Old 10-08-2006, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93blkcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93blkcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i tried telling him that but he wants it u kno luike theres no convincing this kid he stuborn so does ne1 have like a chart or sumtin so i can do it for him and besides im gettin paid for doing it so im good lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

ill do it for 100$ or sell you instructions for $50.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:44 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93blkcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok my bois bubble has a jdm d15b and he wants to kno how he can set his vtec to a switch cuz my bois crx has a switch to turn it on and he wants the same thing so how would we do it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

umm, don't do that
Old 10-08-2006, 09:44 PM

well tell him if he flips the switch too early he'll lose power and if he flips it too late he'll run lean and have a chance of screwing up his motor. so unless he wants to flip the switch every time he hits his stock vtec crossover point at exactly the right rpm, he shouldnt do it.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yo i feel you man but i dont care i make money off this kid he beleived me when i told him to buy my vtec solenoid and put it on his ls so he can run ls vtec lol now he got this bubble and he wanted me to do that said hell pay me n everything so when i do it hell give me money and maybe hell realize he shouldnt do it and ill charge him to wire it correctly lol
Old 10-08-2006, 09:51 PM

wow, youre an awesome friend.

fyi, that was sarcasm.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:55 PM

you going to pay for him a new car when you screw up that motor? if so, then have at it
Old 10-08-2006, 09:57 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP, you are a *****.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive told him already im not responsible for nething he said thats how he wants it man its supply and demand he knows it can expletive his car up but he only wants it to a switch because the car is really loud so he wants to be able to turn it of untill he needs it because hes gotten 3 tickets in 1 month for loud exhaust
Old 10-08-2006, 09:59 PM

Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OP, you are a *****. </TD></TR></TABLE>

for real, i hope your friend kills you.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:06 PM

Default Re: (JJDrivesAJazz)

VTEC isn't even on until upwards of ~5500 RPM. tell him to take the POS coffee can muffler off if he wants it to be quieter
Old 10-08-2006, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry guys i told my little brother to do this task for me and post it but hes a dumbass here is the real situation my bois bubble is wired for vtec and everything but he has 4 engine codes coming up
1 O2A - Oxygen sensor #1
3 MAP - manifold absolute pressure sensor
7 TPS - throttle position sensor
19 Automatic transmission lockup control valve '
i needed to know if this will stop the car from hitting vtec or if it was wired wrong and i told my lil bro to see if sum1 knows how to wire it to a switch to see if it works or not becuase it does not crack i tried my skunk 2 p28 no engine codes come up but it does not pop we area so lost and once again srry for my lil bros dumbass
Old 10-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the MAP code will.

p.s. stop talking like an idiot. BOY not BOI christ that **** irritates me.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanx so thats it after that u think it will open up imma try it tmorro wen he comes over but i gotta figure out why its throwin that code in the first place

and i cud care less wat u think freedom of speech ***** get used to it

Quick Reply: Wiring vtec to a switch?