Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

wiring up vtec for mini-me.... WTF?

Old 08-02-2005, 05:05 PM
mike93eh

Default wiring up vtec for mini-me.... WTF?

im running the wires to the ecu for vtec and there are no pins in the holes i need to put the wires how the hell do you hook the wires into the plug?? do you just stick the wire in the hole i wouldnt think so
Old 08-02-2005, 05:08 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: wiring up vtec for mini-me.... WTF? (mike93eh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im running the wires to the ecu for vtec and there are no pins in the holes i need to put the wires how the hell do you hook the wires into the plug?? do you just stick the wire in the hole i wouldnt think so</TD></TR></TABLE>**** NO!!! Pull the brown rubber plugs from your under-hood clips and replace them with wires pulled from junk wiring clips.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:21 PM
mike93eh

Default Re: wiring up vtec for mini-me.... WTF? (HondaFanatic708)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">**** NO!!! Pull the brown rubber plugs from your under-hood clips and replace them with wires pulled from junk wiring clips.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont get what youre saying? im talking about the plugs on the ECU.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:21 AM

Oh I thought you were talking about the under-hood plugs, my bad but either way just putting them in there is a terrible idea. But the idea is still all the same. There are very few different pin styles in Hondas. Simply find a junk clip off a parts car or something with the same style female pins. On the ECU clips you will be able to open two "flaps" on the wire side to slide in the new pin you have soldered and heat shrinked your VTEC wires to. But the point is find the pins off another clip and solder that wire to the wires you have run.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:22 AM

Default Re: wiring up vtec for mini-me.... WTF? (HondaFanatic708)

Here check out this thread, it has a few more details on pin removal/installation..
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1318864
Old 08-04-2005, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought all 5th gens were wired for vtec at the passenger side shock tower?
Old 08-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wiring up vtec for mini-me.... WTF? (wadup)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wadup &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I thought all 5th gens were wired for vtec at the passenger side shock tower?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I believe it was only the hatches in 92 that were pre-wired to the shock tower.
mine was
Old 08-04-2005, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wiring up vtec for mini-me.... WTF? (teal_dx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teal_dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I believe it was only the hatches in 92 that were pre-wired to the shock tower. mine was </TD></TR></TABLE>
Correcto-mundo. We have a winner!
Old 08-04-2005, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you just stick the wire in the hole i wouldnt think so</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sadly, this is exactly what some people do. I was helping troubleshoot a kids car and he mentioned he had one of those OBD2-ready Hondata ECUs (the ones that are still OBD1 but have an OBD2 adapter board built inside of the case - it only eliminates the jumper harness). Knowing that the solder job on those adapter boards was a little iffy (from a prior car), I wanted to inspect.

So I pull the connectors off of the ECU and see that for VTEC, all they did was strip the wire down about 3/4", shove it into the connector cavity and then just bent what is hanging out over top of the connector. Then they just went ahead and connected it to the ECU.

People get awefully creative sometimes....

It also sucks because when you're trying to help someone on this board, you ASSume that if they added wires to the ECU, that they would have done so as the factory intended....but it doesn't always happen like that.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: wiring up vtec for mini-me.... WTF? (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

People get awefully creative sometimes....

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yea they do. Ever see a fuel pump wired directly to the battery with speaker wire?
Old 08-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: wiring up vtec for mini-me.... WTF? (Chiovnidca)

Gotcha beat: Ever seen a kid relocate his battery to the trunk and to secure the ground wire to the chassis, he uses a piece of 2 (or 4) awg and a rack of those crimp-on eyelet(?) connectors? He then proceeds to screw them down to his trunk using like 6 or 7 of them...just divided up the wire (he used fine strand audio stuff) and crimped away.

It worked...

Old 08-04-2005, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: wiring up vtec for mini-me.... WTF? (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Gotcha beat: Ever seen a kid relocate his battery to the trunk and to secure the ground wire to the chassis, he uses a piece of 2 (or 4) awg and a rack of those crimp-on eyelet(?) connectors? He then proceeds to screw them down to his trunk using like 6 or 7 of them...just divided up the wire (he used fine strand audio stuff) and crimped away.

It worked...

</TD></TR></TABLE>
LMAO He didn't run the screws all the way into the gas tank, did he? I've seen that.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Re: wiring up vtec for mini-me.... WTF? (mwieczorek43)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mwieczorek43 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Correcto-mundo. We have a winner! </TD></TR></TABLE>All 92's produced out of Marysville were and all 93's up to sometime in March were as well.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wiring up vtec for mini-me.... WTF? (wadup)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wadup &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I thought all 5th gens were wired for vtec at the passenger side shock tower?</TD></TR></TABLE> where is this located exactly, what is it a clip? i have a 92 hb and my vtec is hooked up to my ecu....
Old 08-04-2005, 02:24 PM
mike93eh

i just shoved the wire in there and taped it up real good so it wont come out.

why you ask? because where the hell would i get those pins? there are a bunch of junkyards around here BUT none of them have any hondas and even if they did they are all ******** and wont waste their timing going out and getting those pins. if they did they would charge probably an arm.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: (mike93eh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just shoved the wire in there and taped it up real good so it wont come out.

why you ask? because where the hell would i get those pins? there are a bunch of junkyards around here BUT none of them have any hondas and even if they did they are all ******** and wont waste their timing going out and getting those pins. if they did they would charge probably an arm.</TD></TR></TABLE>Not smart but whatever. I never went to any bone yard. Every parts car we junk I cut the **** off of them. That way I have every size pin male and femal lying around with a few cm of wire on them. I can't wait to see your post about how your VTEC doesn't work cause someone rode in the passanger seat and kicked by the ECU. Can you say BEYOND GHETTO!?!
Old 08-04-2005, 03:40 PM
mike93eh

Default Re: (HondaFanatic708)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not smart but whatever. I never went to any bone yard. Every parts car we junk I cut the **** off of them. That way I have every size pin male and femal lying around with a few cm of wire on them. I can't wait to see your post about how your VTEC doesn't work cause someone rode in the passanger seat and kicked by the ECU. Can you say BEYOND GHETTO!?!</TD></TR></TABLE>

you missed the part where i said it wont come out. and there isnt anybody in my car like that. and i guess you dont know much about ecu's probably because all yours are ghetto rigged, but there is a metal cover that goes on and surround the ecu plugs, so if someone kicks it like you say they will be kick that cover.

thanks for your input but like i said, where the **** would i get those pins?
Old 08-04-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: (mike93eh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you missed the part where i said it wont come out. and there isnt anybody in my car like that. and i guess you dont know much about ecu's probably because all yours are ghetto rigged, but there is a metal cover that goes on and surround the ecu plugs, so if someone kicks it like you say they will be kick that cover.
thanks for your input but like i said, where the **** would i get those pins?</TD></TR></TABLE> Those same pins are used all over the car. Honestly how hard is it to find someone who has a parts car and ask if you can cut some clips. Or Honda/Acura dealers have a kit that has all the pins, ask a parts guy to spot you one. Not a big deal. So I'm the one ghetto riggin my ecu eventhough I added a new pin to support the knock sensor. Yeah I don't know **** about ECU's your right. Thats why I recently cracked mine open to add an EMPROMM to run Chrome.. No knowledge of these things at all. You are the GOD of making things perfect. That is exactly why you just taped the ****.. Yes I am aware of that cover, but you honestly think a taped wire in the ECU slip is actually going to stay in a fixed location even when you re-install it? Bro your stupidity has me feeling like this

Old 08-14-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Re: (HondaFanatic708)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn thats funny!