Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wiring problems - Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring problems - Help Please

Alright, so I've had my car back for a few days and it runs real nice, it pulls hard and revs high, just what I wanted.

Heres the thing...

My horn never worked. Whoever wired it was on crack, its just a piece of ****. Its tempermental, meaning that occasionally it wants to work, but most often it just doesn't.

So, I'm driving my car and getting off at an exit today and I tap the horn just to see if its one of those rare times that its working, and the car dies on me as I have the clutch down and I'm rolling to a stop. (later when it cut off it cuts right back on similar to pop starting it I guess)

Really freaks me out, I was kinda scared to drive until I realize the horn was the trigger to the car dying. So later, driving slowly on a road I try again and this time the radio shorts out and pops right back on. Odd, and its pissing me off. Also, when I hit the horn my headlights and dashlights dim.

So then later on, I was sitting in fronta a pool hall with my lady in the car just talking with the car running and I decide its time to leave so I turn on the headlights and BOOM, the car dies again. WTF!?

Just trying to play with it more to see whats wrong, I turn on the lights as I hit the horn and the car dies once more. Prolly 1 out of every 3 times I do this the car will cut off.

So, what I'm trying to figure out is if its just the horn wiring or if its something bigger. I was hoping it was the horn until the car cut off after just turning on the lights. It died once at a light when I pressed the horn and lights and wouldn't start up, like the battery was dead. So, I go pop the hood and wiggle the cables a bit and my interior lights come back on.

This is really freaking me out, anyone have something like this happen to them?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

-Chris
Old 04-04-2003, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Wiring problems - Help Please (fOmaNPu)

Anyone?
Old 04-05-2003, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Wiring problems - Help Please (fOmaNPu)

One more try.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:17 PM

first off, go to a shop or somewhere with a scan tool. try to get an info book, like Helms. SOunds like you have a wire crossed. I think theres a loose connection. It also seems like 2 wires may be hitting in the middle, causeing one to trigger another. Go under your hood and make sure all your grounds are good. Clean all your grounds and the battery terminals. In the meantime, dont use the horn or radio cause it could **** somethin up. You're gonna have to just trace the wire. Battery, load (like horn), and ground. Do youre lights or anything get brighter when you rev the engine? is your battery dring? your can may be running like the radio or somethin when its off, causing a constant power drain. I'd say go findsomewhere (maybe a school) that you can use a scantool. Also, Mitchell on Demand is software that gives specs and stuff. Try searching warez sites for it.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:55 PM

Default Re: (Civic96LX)

I got this problem fixed a while ago, it was a combo or a bad ground and another bad connection. No more problems.