Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wiring problem in my hybrid civic

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring problem in my hybrid civic

I just swapped a b16a into my 1999 civic ex i have everything wired but a clip that hooks up to the b16 distributor.the clip in not on the d16. there is a blue wire and a black wire with a yellow stripe someone please help its driving me nuts. i think its an ignition wire and tach wire but im not sure...if you know what they are tell me where is should wire them to please!!! Thanks

joshua
Old 04-03-2004, 05:27 AM

Default Re: Wiring problem in my hybrid civic (nismoman)

yea thats what it is the tach the blue wire and the other one is ign.
the dist for the b16 is probaly obd1 thats why it has 2 clips.
the obd2 dist has it built into one clip
you could change the plugs on the dist and sodder them or get the obd2 dist which would be easier.
im not sure if you can use your dist on the b16.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:05 AM

Default Re: Wiring problem in my hybrid civic (Harassing Herbs)

So is there anything i can wire to so i can start the car or is that a definate no.... if so let me know cause all i need is a spark and it'll start

joshua
Old 04-03-2004, 06:56 AM

do a search and to see if u can use the dist. from your car on the b16. if that works then you use that and be good to go.
but far as rig-a-nomitry i wouldn't do it. get what you need do it right the first time.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:00 AM

ok so i managed to get my dist from the d16 on there but i still get no fire...i should be getting some type of fire on it what else could be wrong...everything else appears to be hooked up
Old 04-03-2004, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by B18C5-EH2

Method number one:

Find any 1996-2001 Integra engine harness. Ideally it should be a GS-R or Type R unit, but if all you can find is an LS then it's only a few extra wires. I'd imagine they should not be too hard to come by and will cost probably no more than $100.00-$150.00 used and they are only $350.00 or so brand new from Honda if you need a reference point.

If you can locate the 96-01 engine harness then simply plug it into the engine and drop the engine in. Even though the harness is technically "OBD2" trust me it is a direct plug in for the 1992-1995 Civic on the underhood strut tower harnesses.

What ever you decide you should ditch the 99-00 Si ECU. It is OBD2 and horrible. What you'll need to run is a re-chipped P28 (1992-1995 SOHC VTEC ECU) from Kenji Plennert in Florida. His e-mail adress is kenji211@tampabay.rr.com - tell him Tom sent you from H-T. I run his ECU on my Type R swap and it is way better than any stock OBD2 crap ECU. even if you wanted to keep the 99-00 ECU you'd need to buy a jumper harness and wire up all of that extra OBD2 bullshit, which is not necessary.

If you run that re-chipped P28 and the 96-01 Integra harness then the swap is almost 100% plug and play. Hell in your Civic VX it will be 100% plug and play if you find a GS-R or Type R harness. Not one single wire will need to be ran this way. My 1992 CX (prewired for VTEC like your VX is, because all 1992 Civics were wired for VTEC regardless of trim) didn't require one single wire at all with my 1998 B18C5 swap because I used a re-chipped P28 and the Integra engine harness.

Actually I just recalled that you will have to only do one thing wiringwise. Simply extend the two wires foir the intake air temperature sensor. for some reason the B16A2 is the only B motor that I know od that locates its IAT sensor into the actual intake tubing rather than the intake manifold itself. for this reason you must simply extend the existing two wires for that sensor on the engine harness to stretch from the intake manifold (where it is on the Integra) to whatever intake arm you decide to run.

Method Number Two:

If you are just way too broke to buy a used 96-01 Integra engine harness, you can use your stock Civic harness. It will require more work, but if you don't mind that then you could save some money. I'll go ahead and tell you that if I were you I'd really try to find that Integra engine harness, but here goes anyways.

To use your stock Civic harness you will need to do some minor wiring changes and a few other things. It's not hard and if you just breathe deeply and read this I think you'll find it to be prety easy actually. I used this method back in 1999 when I put a B16A2 into my fiancee's car, and I did not know that the 96-01 Integra harness would make it near plug and play.

Change #1:

First of all there will be a minor difference in the plug style on the distributor. Some people will say :"get an OBD1 distributor" but they must think that OBD1 distributors are cheap or easy to find used. The B16A2 distributor will have one big plug on it, while your stock Civic and it's engine harness has two plugs. All you have to do is unpin the two lowest fat wires from the B16A2 distributor and repin them into the extra plug on the VX engine harness.

Here's a picture of the B16A2 distributor. The arrows are pointing to the wires you need to unpin. This is a picture of an unaltered B16A2 distributor:

So here's that extra plug on your VX harness with the two wires already ran into it. Notice the wires are the exact same color, making it "idiot proof" so to speak. i'm glad they decided to keep the same colors:

i think if you just reverse the last two steps, and put those blue/black wires on the extra plug to the empty pins on the big plug you have, you'll be good
Old 04-03-2004, 09:11 AM

i have a obd2 ls engine harness. all u have to do is run the wires for the vtec/oil pressure & your good to go. but what simple posted are your options.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:40 AM

im running the OBD1 ecu with a jumper harness for the D16y8....i had a little incident yesterday in the process of starting causing me 2nd degree burns to both of my legs. i figured out a small problem in starting the car it was a green plug near the ecu was hidden. SO i plugged it in and it sputtered for a sec. well we tried it again andit started running...like shiznit, but it was running and then some gas caught on fire that was near the car and hit a tarp where my foot was and a piece of the tarp stuck to my shoes and burnt up my leg. so that sucked and hurts like a biotch. but yeah i have the car starting and i have the obd1 ecu with jumper harness. I also modified the Y8 Dizzy to fit the b16...anyone ever done that? Sorry im new at hondas...i can work on nissans all day long but i dont know alot about civics or any honda for that matter.

thanks for all the info!

joshua